Mobile Suit Gundam: MS Sensen 0079 (Wii)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Donkey Show

Mobile Suit Gundam: MS Sensen 0079 (Wii)

I want to pimp the hell out of this game because it's that awesome. I'll just repost my impressions I made at neogaf. You guys need to check this game out.

Think of Gundam Side Story from the Dreamcast but with faster gameplay and a simple, but extremely fun control system. Basically the game is more arcade-like than simulation. I'm rather impressed at how simple and intuitive the control scheme is, although I wish the bounding box was a tad smaller instead of the screen edges. This game basically controls like the advanced controls of MP3 (i.e. free lock on, etc.). Weapons work pretty well, although the beam weaponry could move a little faster… as beam weaponry should. Using the sniper scope is pretty fun too and you can use it with pretty much any main weapon. Just click any part of the d-pad on the wii-mote to activate it and press it again to deactivate it.

Close combat is pretty much "waggle really fast to do combos." Not really engaging, but eh, it's fun when you start clashing with an enemy. When you win a clash, you’re treated to a generic cutscene of your mobile suit comboing the enemy. There are also counters in this game as well, as the computer seems to do that all the time as I rush them with my melee attacks. They are activated by pressing the attack button at the right time while you're blocking a melee attack. Just remember... if you don't waggle fast enough, melee attacks become really unresponsive. There's also guard breaking too. The slashing amounts to a simplified version of DQ Swords but a lot less precise. Funny thing is, the game is just as fun.

The story mode is the typical “see the one year war from another perspective.” You can either choose to join either the Federation SRT Unit or the Zeon Braugher Squadron, which basically consist of small teams like the ones found Rise from the Ashes or 08th MS team. You have two support units that you can customize like yourself, although you can choose not to have them at all. Your team and your load out is based on a numerical value i.e. ???/200 points for example. Different MS and weaponry for each of your mates and yourself cost a certain amount, so you can’t beef up on the best weaponry for each of your units. There are lots of defending missions so far, but nothing seems too complex. You can also grab weapons of defeated enemies and use them in later missions. Sometimes you can pick up multiple weapons in a round, but once you finish, you can only choose 1 to keep in your inventory.

You also gain mobile suits and new weaponry by completing levels, although you might have to clear a stage with a certain rank in order to do that (which is probably the case). This also applies to getting S Ranks in the Ace Pilot missions. For example, if you get an S Rank on Char's first mission, you'll have his personal Zaku in your hangar for use in story mode.

The story mode crosses also over in some of the anime storylines, too. Like in the Zeon mode, you have to protect Aina and the Apsalus, in the Feddie story, you’ll encounter Char in Jaburo, and you’ll see many other cameos as well. The game also has multiple branches so there's lots of replay value considering you can't unlock everything with one run-through. You'll also unlock more Ace Pilots in story mode as well, like Norris Packard and Shiro Amada from the 08th MS Team.

If you want to do a couple anime storylines, just go on Ace Pilot mode. There, you become one of the lead characters like Amuro, Char, etc. and just blast your way through either one or many missions depending on the character. Beating them unlocks more characters in Ace Pilot and in Survival/Versus/Combination modes.

I wish the game had more polish, especially on the graphical side because there are some random slowdowns. The MS models are pretty nice, but everything else is pretty assy and they sure do not look better on my Mitsu DLP. Stages range from barren to building filled so the game isn’t a total wasteland like screenshots depict. Other than that, MS Sensen 0079 is pretty decent. It’s a nice alternative to the other OYW games out there and although it isn’t as deep as it could be, it’s a lot better than most Gundam games out there.

After playing this game for a couple days now, this is in fact one of the best Gundam games out there. The control scheme makes this game extremely enjoyable and the fast paced combat is nothing short of great. It does take a while to get used to the control scheme, but once you use it, you really don't want to move back to the old traditional ones, like RE4 Wii over it's predecessors. If you love Gundam and have a JP Wii, buy this game. If you want to give Gundam a chance after it let you down many times before, this game will make you think otherwise. I had less than average expectations when I bought it, but this is by far one of the best Wii purchases I've made. Even if you don't have Gundam glasses, check it out.

IGN thinks the same thing, too.

Twenty years and one controller revolution later, a Gundam game that you'll have to try.

Personal gameplay videos:

Off-screen Yuu Kajima Ace Pilot mission 1 (epic one on one with Blue Destiny vs Efreet)
Off-screen Amuro Ray Ace Pilot mission 4 (underwater battles)
WhiteWingDemon

Sounds awesome, nice to see someone else is interested in this game besides me. How are the multiplayer modes?

I'm contemplating picking up a mod chip or freeloader in order to play this game.
Donkey Show

It's pretty cool. It's only local splitscreen though, no online. Good thing is that there isn't any noticeable downgrade in graphics or gameplay with splitscreen.
WhiteWingDemon

Donkey Show wrote:It's pretty cool. It's only local splitscreen though, no online. Good thing is that there isn't any noticeable downgrade in graphics or gameplay with splitscreen.
That's nice. I take it by all the unlockables you mentioned, it has a large mobile suit/weapon selection.
Donkey Show

WhiteWingDemon wrote: That's nice. I take it by all the unlockables you mentioned, it has a large mobile suit/weapon selection.
Yeah, I've only unlocked around 50% of the mobile suits in the Zeon story mode and this is the list off the top of my head.

RX-78-1
RX-78-2
Zaku 1
Zaku IIF
Zaku IIJ
Zaku IIS
Zaku Cannon
Gouf
Gouf Custom
Dom
Rick Dom
Efreet
Gyan
Zock
Z'Gok
Gogg
Acguy
Gelgoog Cannon

And many others, including weapons found from most OYW stories.
mr.blonde

i never imagined a OYW game in the wii. however i guess am lucky because i already have a wii!
Koshernova

I've been interested in this game ever since I first heard of it and saw the videos in the official website. It looks like a lot of fun, specially for the Gundam fan... Now to find a way to import this and play it in my PAL Wii :(
VR7

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: MS Sensen 0079 (Wii)

Donkey Show wrote:Think of Gundam Side Story from the Dreamcast but with faster gameplay and a simple, but extremely fun control system.
A better description would be a Wii-enhanced version of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Blue Destiny, because that's what the gameplay videos reminded me a lot of.

Too bad there isn't netplay, because that's something the Wii is missing out a lot on. Especially with Sensen's game system... :?
-noel
Donkey Show

^ Holy crap, you're right. I've never played that Side Story version and the gameplay is pretty much identical, other than the fact Blue Destiny has better framerate than the Wii game. XD
Outlaw

I like that the gameplay seems faster, and custom paint jobs on your MS. Awesome, awesome to the max!

I wonder how many colony drops I'd have to pull to get it brought over to the US....
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

I really want to get this game since it looks so awesome by any chance does anyone know if they are translating it and bring it to America?
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
bluemax151

I am curious as to why this thread isn't locked..
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
WhiteWingDemon

Why would it be locked?
Ascension

Because there's a stickied thread for discussing Gundam "next-gen games and upcoming releases." Usually if a thread falls under the same topic that a stickied thread covers, a mod locks it up double quick and tells the OP in no uncertain terms that such material ought to be posted in the stickied thread it's intended to be posted in.

This forum's mods are more trigger happy on the lock button than in any other forum I've ever been a member of.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Recon 5

And most other forums have the nasty habit of becoming EXTREMELY cluttered EXTREMELY quickly.
Chavelo

So it's better to have a single thread that's cluttered with more then one game topic? Well it's gotta go somewhere I suppose.

My heart skipped a bit for the brief moment at the thought of playing this game. But unless they do ship it stateside, I won't be playing.
Victor Zaibi

MS Sensen rules i just played out the Zeon story mode for the second time and got Gato's Gelgoog with a beammachinegun. And slicing and dicing GM's is fun like hell with the Wii controls. Still i only got 50 procent of the mobilesuits unlocked. and somehow i'm unable to unlock the fourth Zeon ace pilot. Any one got tips how to unlock to fourth Zeon ace pilot?
firefox

I ahve a few questions ?

1. as i have a Wii i wonder if it will come out in teh US or euroep anytime soon?

2. Are wii games region protected? Can i play a japanese game on my european Wii??
In the end, nothing remains
Scyron

firefox wrote:I ahve a few questions ?

1. as i have a Wii i wonder if it will come out in teh US or euroep anytime soon?

2. Are wii games region protected? Can i play a japanese game on my european Wii??
No plans as of now for a release outside of japan.

Wii games are regionally protected and even if you got a freeloader it seems nintendo likes to keep the wii's fireware updated to disable any new freeloader discs. So you'd have to keep your wii downgraded in order to play, if you somehow got a freeloader disc. So far the best option seems to be buying a wii from japan.

don't quote me on this because I'm not exactly sure.
Magnus

Well if you have the game, rip it, and create an ISO file...

And if you're dumb enough to void the Nintendo warranty by putting a mod-chip into your Wii (as I am)...

Then, there's a simple patching process you can go through to change the region of said ISO and you can add an additional patch so that the ISO doesn't attempt to update the Wii when the disc is played. However, I don't know if it's okay to delve into details on the forum so someone please let me know.

Question for those of you who have played this game: Other than changing the formation of your squad, are there any more squad options? When changing the squad formation it says "Normal" which leads me to wonder if there's non-normal modes (like "Aggressive" or "Defensive"). Furthermore, what's the deal with secondary weapons? Are they only changeable in the Hangar or can a weapon be put into the secondary slot during a mission (like one picked up)?