Mobile Suit Gundam: MS Sensen 0079 (Wii)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Kurando

May I ask; WHY does nintendo bother keeping the region lock on wii!? ps3 dosen't, DS dosen't, PSP dosen't and 360 game devs have the choice to region lock their games or not. But nintendo have really made me wonder why keep region lock on wii (aswell as the fact they really annoyed me because of it)

I could have got this game already if it wasen't for region lock..
Magnus

@Kurando
I don't know. It's silly considering they originally claimed that the Wii would be region free.

Since nobody has objected I'm assuming it's okay to detail the ISO patching process that, theoretically, works.
Disclaimer: I got my Wii on the day it was launched. Wii are a little different nowadays so I can't guarantee that this will work on your Wii. Also, so far I've only tried this process with two games. (one PAL and the other NTSC-J) I can't guarantee that this will work for all games. Finally, my Wii has the Wiinja modchip; you guessed it, I can't guarantee this will work with different modchips.

That being said, it's a pretty simple process. The barebones explanation is that you patch the ISO twice before burning to disc:

1)Download and install WiigionFree. Other Region patching applications may work but I haven't tried them.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/images/7/7e/Wiigionfree_1_0.zip

2)Patch your ISO with WiigionFree. You need at least java 1.2 to run
WiigionFree. Basically it makes a new copy of the ISO in whatever region you like. This program doesn't seem to react well when the output filename is exactly the same as the input. Also, you may need to attempt to patch more than once as it may fail the first time. Finally, it's a fairly lengthy process that is a resource hog so don't freak out--just let it alone for a few minutes.

3)Download and install WiiBrickBlocker
http://wbb.rockman18.com/upload/wbb/Wii ... r_v1_3.rar

4)Patch the ISO with WiiBrickBlocker. The process is about as simple as step 2 but is much faster. One of the partitions in a Wii ISO is the updater. WiiBrickBlocker replaces the updater partition with empty files so that the game won't attempt to update the Wii. This is important because, as I understand it, this update can sometimes brick your Wii. It's a safety precaution.

Again, while I can't guarantee it'll work for you, so far it works for me. Indeed, the ISOs are playable; indeed, they don't attempt to run an update like RAW ISOs I've tried in the past do.
Kurando

Can this wii region free program also let me play legit import games?!

EDIT: that was a silly question.. I found out it can't =(

I don't like playing games burnt to a cdr disc because it can destroy the lens of the wii (unless, you can prove this wrong)
Magnus

@Kurando
If you were to create an image file from the "legit" game I don't see why not. If you're implying that a DVD-R is fundamentally different than a "Wii Optical Disc" I'd like to see some proof of that. I think they're essentially the exact same thing, but Nintendo just hasn't yet committed to paying DVD licensing fees.

I'd look into this further as it's a fascinating question but I don't have the time and quite frankly, unless you can prove to me that DVD-Rs destroy the lens of the Wii, I'm not too alarmed.
Magnus

Nevermind my questions from earlier. I see that by pressing "c" while in the hangar you can change your combat formations. Also, now I know the arrow thingy means whether or not you want to include that person in your squad-I guess it's nice to have the option but so far I haven't come across any situation where I didn't want my two wingmen.

Also, my arm finally got sore tonight. The missions are getting considerably harder and I wish the carriers would just fly instead of having to guard them all of the time! It takes so long to kill enemies and it takes so little for them to kill the carriers.

Finally, I think the secret to doing a good sword slash is to neither swing the remote vertically or horizontally but to instead do a sort of diagonal slash. One thing I don't understand very well is how damage is applied from ranged weapons. It seems if I go into sniper view and shoot from afar I do a buttload more damage than if I shoot up close. Sometimes when shooting at medium to close range I seem to do no damage at all! The crazy thing is my squad consists of two RX-79 and one RGM-79 and I still wasn't able to beat the level. It's the first EFF mission to take place in the snow (you face off another 3 person squad at one point and it all seems to revolve around defending the two medeas).

edit: then again, maybe there is more to melee than I thought. ive got into clashes but this video seems to show the player deflecting hits as well as seemingly having precision control over which direction the attack swings from
http://b.bngi-channel.jp/wii-gundam/system/attack.html