Biggest News of the Decade (Starcraft II Confirmed)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Nagato21

I agree with you guys, the upkeep system was always bugging me and prevented for large scale troop deployment when you needed it.
Blizzard mentioned that the game will allow players to deploy large scale armies on the battlefield, does that mean we will be able to create a swarm of Zerg queens without worrying about supplies.
Frankly it would be cool if they created a squad base system, it will make things easier for troop management.
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Ravager

You mean something like the squad system in Warhammer 40k? Now that would rock! But then, SC isn't as infantry-heavy as WH40k, so that system wouldn't be widespread.
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!
Aegis

Some more units have now been revealed, particularly for the Terrans.

The Banshee is a bomber unit with the ability to cloak. The Cobra is a fast ground unit with a pair of rail guns capable of attacking ground and air units, and I'm guessing may replace the Vulture. The two units I'm most interested in, however, are the Viking and Thor units.

The Viking is a transformable unit that goes from a ground unit to an aircraft. The fighter mode itself is only capable of attacking air units, while the walker mode can only attack ground units. Beyond that, very little is known about this unit, although I'm liking this one just for the fact that it transforms. ;p

The Thor unit is the one I'm especially most interested, if only because that thing looks VERY nice. It's basically a massive giant robot with guns on each arm and on each shoulder, possibly able to fire independent of each other. The unit apparently is not constructed from any building, but rather is by an SCV itself much like you would a Terran building. Weapons apparently also have incredible long range and splash damage to go with it. I'd guess that, given the size of that unit, it'd be like the Colossus in that it'll be under fire from both ground only and air only attacks.

As for structures, Supply Depots have the ability to submerge itself into the ground, the add-ons have been consolidated a little more (as in any structure save for the likes of the supply depot can benefit from the same add-on), and the Command Centre can now be upgraded into a Planetary Fortress, therefore giving this particular building a nasty set of teeth. :P The Command Centre itself apparently can now carry up to 5 SCVs while in flight. The two add-ons are the reactor (allows for structures to build two units simultaneously) and the tech centre (the traditional unit tech tree upgrade).

Here are the Terran Units

Here are the Terran Structures

The mecha fan in me is currently drooling now. :P

And I really hope the Twilight Archon isn't just the Archon with a new name as the main site is pointing out. Sucks to lose the Dark Archon only to end up with just this as a replacement. >> And I wonder if it's true that the Soul Hunter is being ditched.
Mwulf

Terrans look way too blocky for me... I've never much cared for the aesthetics of a cube. ~__~

But I have to say the new mechanics really make me think how well the gameplay could be adapted into a gundam mod. Waaaay better than that old gundam mod for Starcraft that was never finished.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Aegis

What I am more curious about is what everyone even thinks of these new units, and how appropriate they are within the SC universe.
OpMegs

The Supply Depots themselves are, perhaps, the single most brilliant decision I've seen in Starcraft 2 so far. Submerging them gets rid of a constant Terran weakness regarding having to "turtle" and having entire areas of your base cut off. Furthermore, I hear mention of it being able to be upgraded with defensive weapons, which makes me greatly happy. The Supply Depot always was comparatively useless to the Terrans compared to its counterparts, the Pylon and Overlord. Giving it function, even just to get it out of the way, is a massive improvement.

Given nukes are confirmed as still in the Terran arsenal, I'm curious how the new add-on system will work for them. I suspect the new Sensor and Radar Domes will be replacing the ComSat scanner from the original, and it seems that the tech center replaces, naturally, the Academy, Machine Shop, and Control Tower. Whether it replaces the Covert Ops and Physics Labs buildings remains to be seen.

The Banshee will prove to be a truly lethal addition to the Terran ranks, especially if the Wraith makes its return. Given the Phoenix is an upgraded Scout and the Mutalisk is confirmed as returning, I think the old Terran workhorse of the skies likely will have a ground assault counterpart to the Valkyrie that could make being a Protoss player with inadequate detection VERY painful.

The Viking is quite awesome, though supposedly its transformation is an upgrade ala Siege Mode. It looks to be a hit and run unit par none.

The Cobra replacing the Vulture wouldn't surprise me at all and makes a lot of sense. I know as a Terran player, I never used Vultures if I could get Goliaths, because the lack of anti-air meant they were at risk the minute anything came from the skies. Making them as versatile as Marines is a definite upgrade.

The Thor looks to be hilarious, and definitely part of a siege strategy, from the description. They've mentioned it's slow as mud and has no anti-air capability, making it definitely something to sit back and assist siege tanks in bombardment while other units protect it. As this is my preference for Terran ground assaults, I applaud it. The fact SCVs have to build it seperate is humorous given the size.

The Soul Hunter being ditched was confirmed on the official Blizzard forums, but it's early in the production process, so a "new" Soul Hunter may appear later.

I too worry about the Twilight Archons. The Dark Archon is a caster bar none that had multiple tide turning abilities(Mind Control a battlecruiser or just Feedback it for massive damage? And Maelstrom its Marine backup for a quick frying by Psionic Storm). Losing it for an Archon reskin would be very bad, I think.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Aegis

Just the simple fact that the supply depots have been shrunk down to a much more compact size was an improvement, nevermind the upgraded ability to submerge the thing into the ground. Getting around your own base is truly made easier.

I'm also thinking that the Banshee is primarily for bombing in the traditional sense, and wonder if the unit itself has any defence against air units. That would be reason enough to keep the Wraith around (plus I love the Wraiths).

So far, I'm liking the added versatility, and I'm liking the added firepower, although not a whole lot has been said about their anti-air at the moment. They've got the range and the firepower to really deal with the ground units with what we're seeing so far.

Some things I've read up on.

The Thor unit is actually capable of attacking both ground AND air, although the slow firing rate and its incredibly slow turning rate makes this unit pretty much weak to useless against fast units, especially when fighting in the air. It truly is a unit utilised best against other slow units or for siege purposes.

Reapers are now capable of planting timed explosive charges, either for hit and run purposes or demolition purposes. These charges are apparently more versatile in its use compared to the Vulture Spidermines.

The Ghost has apparently been beefed up a little more, with a faster fire rate, greater mobility and endurance. The questionable translation of this 'summon marine' deal that I've read happens to be the Drop Pod. Apparently, you summon a drop pod via laser sight, much like you would a nuclear strike, and a drop pod filled with infantry drops in. Very interesting.
Last edited by Aegis on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quasadra

the Thor reminds me of REX, and banshee reminds me of Orca.
ExhileVoid

We've seen to be getting more mechas for the Terrans. The Vilking quite impressive. Its kind of like what you get when you combine a VF-1 Valkyrie variable variable fighter with the Destroid. Its armed just like the VF-1 Valkyrie, with 2 gatling guns instead of one and the torpedoes are like its missiles.

It also makes me wonder if theoretically the Viking can operate in 0G space in its mecha form. I mean it comes with thrusters and everything you need to create a 0 gravity fighter. Since this a mecha discussion board, we all know the advantages of using mechs in space in place of fighters.
Aegis

Well, the Terran are really just getting two mechas in their arsenal, given that the Goliath has been totally replaced by the Viking. And since this is Starcraft we're talking about, flying mechas don't exactly work in such a setting. :P

If Blizzard keeps things the way they are, I'm gonna miss seeing the Science Vessel (seeing as it's now replaced with the Nomad), and will have to get used to the missile turrets no longer serving as detectors. I'm also rather sad to see the Wraiths go, since we now have the Viking, Banshee, and Predator as the new air units. I also do hope that Blizzard changes its mind about removing the Reavers, as the Colossus is no replacement for these robotic bugs, and am happy to see the Carriers asserting themselves as the capital ship of the Protoss fleet once again (though I did like the Tempest design). And I'm not sure how to feel about the nerfing they gave with the Mothership.

With the Terran firmly revealed and the Protoss further modified, now it's a matter of what the Zerg will receive.
Nagato21

I heard that the Science Vessel will be replace by the Nomad, it will be able to create EMP storms, detect enemy attacks through fogs of war.
Personally I like the way the Terrans are now; they have more tank, upgraded infantry and guess will be able to develop quite a range of tactics against the enemy. Something tells me they will be the favorite race for rush attacks, now that they have the Viking, cloack Banshee and Marine drop pods; I can already imagine the massacre I'll cause on BattleNet. :twisted:
The Starcraft 2 website mentions that the Twilight Archon will be a combination of two templar or 2 Dark templar or one templar and a dark one; from the looks of it it acts just like a regular Archon, but Wikipedia says that the feedback ability of the Dark Archon will be available, is it true?
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Aegis

From posts I've read on b.net and descriptions elsewhere, including the SC wiki, the Twilight Archon indeed has been given the Feedback spell. Good to see some actual difference between the original and new archon, but I'm still waiting to see what Blizzard will actually give to the TA that would truly differentiate itself from the originals.

And we still have yet to see what the Zerg has in store. The only thing we've seen from them are banelings and nydus worms. With the Protoss given enhanced warping abilities and Terrans given greater versatility in unit movement and transport, I expect the Zerg to also be enhanced further and still be the rush attackers of the three. ;p
VR7

http://www.gamespot.com/video/939643/61 ... on-preview

Preview of the StarCraft 2 Terran Campaign.

Note that it was posted on August 4. For some reason, I didn't see it here so I might as well post it. :P
-noel
Aegis

*watches the Vikings get pwned*

"Uh oh..." :P

I've watched this demo several times, and it still amuses me. ;p

And now, overview of SC2 units.

*cough*
Nagato21

I've had it with your Youtube pranks. :x
Behemoth system online

Proceed to exterminate AEGIS

Target located: Mecha Talk....section Games

Weapon systems online

Proceed to fire

MAZINGER BEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAMS :twisted:
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
MrMarch

VR7 wrote:http://www.gamespot.com/video/939643/61 ... on-preview

Preview of the StarCraft 2 Terran Campaign.

Note that it was posted on August 4. For some reason, I didn't see it here so I might as well post it. :P
Nice video! This is good stuff.
Aegis

Finally, the Zerg have been revealed.

LIVE FOR THE SWARM!!!!

Number of things to say about the race, and a number of issues that need improving. My first reaction? Ultralisks can burrow. @_@
Recon 5

With a handful of banelings capable of demolishing a Thor in seconds, I'm thinking the baneling rush will be the new zergling rush in terms of early win tactics. Also, that spider- thing with the two long legs seems to be overpowered. I mean, killing a marine in one strike and a Viking in three or four? Thats quite excessive. Don't get me started on the mobile infestation machines...

The burrowing ultralisks was a nice touch, but the best thing about the Zerg so far is that the lurkers are back and as broken as ever. Nice.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Bright Noa

Aegis wrote:Finally, the Zerg have been revealed.

LIVE FOR THE SWARM!!!!

Number of things to say about the race, and a number of issues that need improving. My first reaction? Ultralisks can burrow. @_@
My same thought. But then I looked again and noticed the Ultralisk has a second set of tusks.....an upgrade that can burrow, perhaps?

And....did Kerrigan's infestation evolve or is it just me? (I assume that figure at the end was Kerrigan, unless it was something else...)
ShadowCell wrote:"Can you escape the Hambrabi...AND THE GREAT CORNHOLIO?!"
Commissar Bright Noa

Aegis wrote:*watches the Vikings get pwned*

"Uh oh..." :P

I've watched this demo several times, and it still amuses me. ;p

And now, overview of SC2 units.

*cough*
I'm disappointed that this isn't a rick roll. :(