Good news for Ace Combat

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
J-Lead

VR7 wrote:TGS 07 trailer for Ace Combat 6.

Nice music.
Oh agreed! :D As usual, very cinematic. I can't wait for this game!
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
razgriz

:shock: epic just epic! alright raptor and tomcat sightings hehe, and those new fictional superfighters look downright menacing, better looking than the adf-01 falken.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Nagato21

I brought myself an XBOX360 two weeks ago, and downloaded the demo.
From one who has experienced Ace Combat on Playstation I was totally taken by that game. And now this trailer just tell me how wicked it is gonna be when it comes out.
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
solid snake

The official site is now up.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Mwulf

I'm pretty sad about this exclusivity thing. It's only good for consoles--it's bad news for games.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
mcred23

Mwulf wrote:I'm pretty sad about this exclusivity thing. It's only good for consoles--it's bad news for games.
And for someone with one of those consoles (360 FTW!), I love it! :mrgreen:

BTW, for those interested, the game got an 8.5-out-of-10 in this month's issue of OXM, which also had the demo for the game on the Demo disc (Which I've yet to get a chance to try out).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
J-Lead

Here's a small sample of the game's soundtrack. (ironically on youtube, a video streaming site. :? )

Epic, blood-pumping, and well orchestrated as usual. Well done, Project Aces! :D
ZeBaron

Huh...the enemy squad leader's plane looks like an old Lockheed Martin design mockup. About the same arrowhead shape, except Lockheed's didn't have tailfins or canards.
Well f*** my a**...IT'S A DECEPTACON!!!
razgriz

meh, its cool sorta reminds me of a cranked arrow fulcrum. it just doesnt drip raw badassness like the adf-01
(setsuna giggling)
Tafumi

I usually don't get too pumped about fighters. Having lived 200 meters away from an F-15, A-10, and/or F-16 hangar for the greater part of my childhood (in addition to having worked/lived as close as 5 feet away from the same planes but adding in the F-22) somewhat dulled the thrill they can project.

Matter of fact, a set of 3 F-22's just took off earlier on training.

Even so, I'm not a huge fan of the Ace Combat series. But this one looks really good. Like watching a good movie about aerial combat.
razgriz

i used to live nearby clark air force base in the philippines so my first exposure to fighters came with the ugly yet mighty f-4 phantoms taking off just a couple miles from home. i guess if i had been around them long enough then maybe i wouldve gotten sick of them but for now i can say im a fighter fanboy. yay fleet week is coming again to san fran, bring on the blue angels
(setsuna giggling)
Tafumi

Yeah, out of the 25 years I've been alive, I've spent 16 of them on fighter bases. 3 of them on a bomber base, 2 on a refueling base, and the remaining 4 on cargo bases.

Planes in general have lost a lot of their wow factor with me. But fighters most of all. Of course, I still think it's awesome when they take off at night at full burn or when you see a C-5 up close and realize (no matter how many times you see it) that, that is just one hell of a massive plane.

Sucks because planes are such cool machines. Now all I get is a slightly happy sensation anytime a new plane get's developed and I see it in the air. Which.... is once or twice a lifetime at the rate the AF overhauls their fleet.
Jak Stoller

I cant wait for this to come out, I pre-ordered it the other day at our local game store. After playing the shizza out of my Ace Combat X on my PSP (to the point where I honestly don't think I need to play it ever again), I'm looking forward to a new episode of arcade fighters.

Mind you, the "thrill" factor from in your face fighter jets dropped in the first 30 seconds I had to work on them, but i still love the games to pieces.

--Jak
VR7

I think what keeps people's interests in the Ace Combat series most isn't the jet combat itself. If that were the case, other lesser known flight combat games like Heatseeker and Over G fighters would be much better received by the mass media than they currently are.

Though, I was at Future Shop last week or the week before, and they had no copies of Ace Combat X. They had Heatseeker though.

What keeps it is the overly-exaggerated storyline and overall presentation. Granted, Ace Combat 2 was well-received for the time, but Ace Combat 3 and Ace04 (more so 04, because 3 never came intact during localization) set a standard that its sequels, with the exception of Ace Combat Advance, follow. Even Ace Combat 6 follows this, as if you watched the trailer, there's a lot of inane and over-the-top dialogue.

I mean, the enemy ace pilot of the story's sole reason for being sent over is to fight Garuda 1 (the player). :P

Oh, and dancing with the angels. Everyone in Ace6's cast will be doing a lot of that by the end of the game.
-noel
Jak Stoller

So, i just picked up my copy of 6 with the throttle and joystick combo... my advise... Unless your die hard, don't get it.

The throttle and joystick slow down your reaction time so much its amazing... it becomes a complicated task to perform simple tight maneuvers :P

So if your an extreamist (or if your like me, and got sucker talked into it), don't get the throttle and stick..

The game so far is awesome, I'm gonna try out some online play later tonight.

--Jak
J-Lead

In that case, I'm relieved I reserved the standard one. :)
Scyron

T_T I found two targets but all sold out, minnesota's target system says it wont be released till the 28th, which is dumb since two stores had them :\

Had I followed my intuition I would have picked it up before I went to school for that jump start. Well at least I can do my schoolwork and not let my team down.

*still mad.
VR7

Jak Stoller wrote:So if your an extreamist (or if your like me, and got sucker talked into it), don't get the throttle and stick..
I'm an extremist, it would probably be a very good handicap for me. :P That is if I could fish out the money for both the 360 and the Ace Edge bundle...

Actually, HOTAS setups can be good in Ace Combat for precision, especially when attempting some advanced stunts and glitches like taking the MiG-31 into space, etc.. You can pull those stunts with a regular gamepad, but it's much more stressful on your hands.

Edit:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DgDWAmO0_Ok

Japanese CM for Ace Combat 6.
I fear this will become another meme.
-noel
razgriz

im really curious as to what role exactly the blonde mom plays in this game, is she a pilot, the heroine, a bystander who reports about the war to the gamer in a 3rd person view or what. either way my battlecry when i first play this game will be MAAATIIIILLLLLDDDDAAAAAAAA :lol:
(setsuna giggling)
Tafumi

razgriz wrote:im really curious as to what role exactly the blonde mom plays in this game, is she a pilot, the heroine, a bystander who reports about the war to the gamer in a 3rd person view or what. either way my battlecry when i first play this game will be MAAATIIIILLLLLDDDDAAAAAAAA :lol:
Simply speculation, but I think she gives a civilianized human side to the war going on, on the ground.

Reading all the reviews lead me to believe that at least.

I'll be picking my copy up today at lunch.