RIP Sega Dreamcast 1998-2007

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
ParaParaJMo

I know they are remaking PSO. I haven't played that in years.

But yeah DC was the original to get Street Fighter III and Capcom vs SNK.

WAR DREAMCAST!
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
Vash

Does anyone even know the official retail price of the Xbox now? I cant find it for sale on any online retailer. And the "better value" argument is pretty pointless, cause it depends greatly upon each person's situation. Do you have a good gaming pc? Do you own or plan on getting an Xbox 360? If not, then the Xbox is actually a pretty good buy. Cause, while most of the really good dreamcast games are available on Xbox (be it in port or sequel form), the really good Xbox games (Halos, Splinter Cells, KOTORs, Jade Empire, etc) certainly arent available on dreamcast.
A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.
Cardi Doorl

Blauer Nebel wrote:By the way, I always wondered how Shenmue is pronounced. Is it "Shen-moo" or "Shen-muay". I always pronounce it in the latter form.
It's the former, as revealed when the word's actually mentioned in Shenmue 2. Why they chose to add an "e" to the Roman rendering is beyond me, as it just creates that confusion (although I pronounced it the former way from the get-go).
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
ParaParaJMo

It's the Chinese system of Pinyin (pronounciation system) that makes the e in mue silent.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
lalahsghost

I mounted my dreamcast to a plywood base and made a full sized arcade machine out of it. Three Controllers are in a Control Panel. Two Official Dreamcast Arcade Sticks, and a controller that had broken shoulder buttons, so I turned it into a DC memory card holding slot.

I bought the best plywood I could get, a router tool to cut the beveling out for the plastic you see on the outer edges of an arcade, two Vinyl Cut Capcom logos, Nineteen DC fighting/arcade style games, a 25" TV (Brand new) and an eight speaker, one subwoofer audio system, a light up Bezel, and and and One button power up/down cost me only $450

NINTEEN ARCADES FOR $450 (well...... you know what I mean....)
You got to love dreamcast!
Wedge14

lalahsghost wrote:I mounted my dreamcast to a plywood base and made a full sized arcade machine out of it. Three Controllers are in a Control Panel. Two Official Dreamcast Arcade Sticks, and a controller that had broken shoulder buttons, so I turned it into a DC memory card holding slot.

I bought the best plywood I could get, a router tool to cut the beveling out for the plastic you see on the outer edges of an arcade, two Vinyl Cut Capcom logos, Nineteen DC fighting/arcade style games, a 25" TV (Brand new) and an eight speaker, one subwoofer audio system, a light up Bezel, and and and One button power up/down cost me only $450

NINTEEN ARCADES FOR $450 (well...... you know what I mean....)
You got to love dreamcast!
That is one of the best ideas i have ever heard. You need to teach me how to be cool.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Blauer Nebel

Sounds similar to the infamous "Yoshi Box" (I think that is what it was called). Except the Yoshi Box was a box with modded Xbox, PS2, and GC hardware moutned into a homemade case with a built-in projector.
Assume the best. Prepare for the worst; for I have the hands of a saint and the mind of a sinner.
Outlaw

What! All this Dreamcast love and nobody mentioned Techromancer!?! :evil:
I know it was mildly obscure, but I figured with all the mecha fans around here someone would mention it.
Blauer Nebel

I never got my hands on that game, so I can't offer a comment. Ever since I had the DC I've been wanting to get my hands on that game, but now it is moot.
Assume the best. Prepare for the worst; for I have the hands of a saint and the mind of a sinner.
Outlaw

It's an awesome game! Most of the characters are basically copies of popular mecha, but it's so plainly obvious that you can see the developers were making a tribute or parody, rather than just shamelessly copying. I've scanned the character profiles from the book if anyone is interested, of course I would probably create a new post for them, so as not to clutter up this one.
codename:v

It was a fun game, but I think the Cyberbots and Powered Gears are more original in terms of designs and storyline.
I still have my Dreamcast except I've switched to PS2 now, sure miss those DC days...
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

The Dreamcast will always live at my house.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Enki

Some of my best memories in Dreamcast were beating the Sonic and Tails levels repeatedly of Sonic Adventure. That game is most definately the best Sonic game i ever played.
Rei Murasame

ZeonfromHell wrote:Alright, that answers just about everyting I asked. One question remains: What do you guys think: Did the Genesis truly beat the SNES? The Sega counterpart had better games (I think) but the SNES sold better towards the end of the 16-bit age. Which one was truly better?
Depends entirely on your region and perspective, but I'll give my take. (Bear in mind I'm comparing the two, so everything said about each system is in relation to the other)

In favour of the Megadrive:
1. The SEGA CD provides lots of storage space.

2. The SEGA CD's PCM output allows for CD Audio.

3. Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD are on it.

In favour of the SNES:
1. The SNES can get 8192 colours onscreen at once, while the Megadrive can only get 256 onscreen at once.

2. The SNES' SPU, the Sony SPC700, is a programmable device made for use as a wavetable along with a driver, and has 64kilobytes of RAM for holding those, and has the effects Chorus, Bend, Reverb, and post-processing using Cubic Interpolation. The Megadrive has the Yamaha YM2612, which is an (albeit good) FM synthesiser, much less versatile and much less advanced.

3. The SNES has a massive game library, and a very large portion of it is good.

4. The SNES can have it's capabilities extended to allow for geometric shapes, and an assortment of other extra features, as well as a processing power increase from 10MHz to 25MHz, because chips were developed that can be housed inside the game cartridge, that directly sit on the SNES' main bus. Games like Mario RPG, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Final Fantasy 6, and Rockman & Forte, are just a few I can name offhand that would never work on the SNES, were it not for the allowance for cartridges to extend the SNES' abilities.

On the other hand, the Megadrive's expansions result in you creating a 'tower of Babel', where you pay SEGA about 20 million quid, to strap a Megadrive, and SCD, and a 32X together, and even then, after you've effectively duct-taped three Motorola 68Ks and two(?) Zilog Z80's together it is still amazingly unable to outperform the SNES at fullpower in any area, most notably the 'why is my palette still so small?', and 'how do I get this tower not to catch afire?' areas.

I also pity the programmer that would have to write games for SEGA's 16 bit console.

4. Super-Gameboy.

5. The SNES had a backwards-compatible 6502mode, where it would be able to understand the NES' 8bit addressing and instruction set. This was originally intended to be used so that you could use NES cartridges in it, but the connectors and bay for this were not included due to cost-cutting. However the CPU retained the capability for this, anyway, and as far as I know used it in one game. Super Mario Allstars. All of the selectable games in that ROM are exact copies of their NES counterparts, and are using 8bit addressing and the Ricoh 6502's instruction set. The SNES switches into that mode to run the selected game, and the pretty pretty 16bit era tiles and sprites are mapped to the referenced addresses in order to give Mario Allstars that 'updated look'. Pretty smart.

So really, even though I'm a huge fan of SEGA, if asked which 16bit console was better, it's got to be the SNES.
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
Hyakushiki

Outlaw wrote:What! All this Dreamcast love and nobody mentioned Techromancer!?! :evil:
I know it was mildly obscure, but I figured with all the mecha fans around here someone would mention it.
It was the main reason I bought a DC and I loved it. This and RAD are the
best mech games ever.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
solid snake

A recent issue of Game Informer had a list of their top 10 Dreamcast games.

1. Soul Calibur
2. Skies of Arcadia
3. Resident Evil Code: Veronica
4. Power Stone
5. NFL 2K1
6. Shenmue
7. The Typing of the Dead
8. Phantasy Star Online
9. Crazy Taxi
10. Jet Grind Radio
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.