Who Do You Think Will Win The Next-Gen Console War?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.

Who Will Win?

PlayStation 3
45%
Xbox 360
24%
Wii
31%

Total votes: 29
solid snake

Who Do You Think Will Win The Next-Gen Console War?

I personally don't have a clue. I'm pretty sure Wii won't win, but I wouldn' count them out(sorry for all the W's). I think the main competition is between PS3 and Xbox 360. On the one hand, 360 has a year head start, but on the other, PlayStation has ruled the console market for the last ten years. What do you think?
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
mcred23

Well, my opinion is that Xbox 360 will end up on top. The PS3 I think is going to end up a flop due to it's high price tag, Blu-Ray (Which I also think will flop) and a fairly limited number of PS3-only games. Like solid snake, I don't think Wii would end up on top of this one, simply because I just don't think people are as interested in it as the other two systems. 360 has that year of a head start on both of the other systems, as well as several highly anticipated games for it (Gears Of War and Halo 3 come to mind) plus a number of other good looking games on it (or soon to come out on it). Plus, I think the lower price tag and Xbox Live will add to it, and contribute to it coming out on top in the end.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Nimrod

I feel that the 360 will probably come out on top. While the Wii will sell like gangbusters when it comes out(and cause the nintendo peons to hail it the king) I think the fickle gamer will grow tired of the wand and odd controls very quickly.

The ps3 is just over-priced and over-hyped. As well, like mcred23 stated, chances are the blu-ray will flop because as is the stand-alone blu-ray players are way overpriced compared to the HD-dvd players.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

We still shouldn't count Sony out of the market yet, who knows? They may pull a few tricks of there sleeve. Honestly, I'm not so sure myself I don't wanna give it to the 360 sence I'm not a huge X Box fan myself...
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Raven 2.0

I think the Wii will come out on top. It is more family friendly, has inovative controls(and fun to use according to crittics), a pretty good assortment of games set to be released, is the cheapest next-gen console, and because it will be more apealing to a wider range of gamers than the 360 os PS3. The 360 could outdo the Wii but It isn't a very inovative machine. The 360 is alot kile the first Xbox except for it's grapgical capabilities and it's controller/layout. Unfortunately,the PS3's price could easily be it's downfall.
"It's A guundaaam!!!!!!!"
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

PS3 will triumph over all! I've used the PS1 since it first came out, I got a PS2 for Christmas in '02 and used it ever since, but I never got the chance to use the PSP. So what if the PS3 has a high price tag? I'm getting it for Christmas this year. Plus, all I need is one game (MSG: Crossfire) and I'll be contented. Xbox 360 can go to the Dark Place Where All Video Game System Flops Go for all I care (I woulda used the term Hell, but that's not me). And Wii can just blow up for all I care. PS3 forever.
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion
Blauer Nebel

I think it'll be a tight race between the 360 and the Wii, but overall I think the Wii will come out on top.
Assume the best. Prepare for the worst; for I have the hands of a saint and the mind of a sinner.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote:PS3 will triumph over all! I've used the PS1 since it first came out, I got a PS2 for Christmas in '02 and used it ever since, but I never got the chance to use the PSP. So what if the PS3 has a high price tag? I'm getting it for Christmas this year. Plus, all I need is one game (MSG: Crossfire) and I'll be contented. Xbox 360 can go to the Dark Place Where All Video Game System Flops Go for all I care (I woulda used the term Hell, but that's not me). And Wii can just blow up for all I care. PS3 forever.
A system's sucess can't possibly be made on one game you know...Especially sence not everyone is a fan of Gundam. Plus, its stupid to buy a system just for one game.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote:PS3 will triumph over all! I've used the PS1 since it first came out, I got a PS2 for Christmas in '02 and used it ever since, but I never got the chance to use the PSP. So what if the PS3 has a high price tag? I'm getting it for Christmas this year. Plus, all I need is one game (MSG: Crossfire) and I'll be contented. Xbox 360 can go to the Dark Place Where All Video Game System Flops Go for all I care (I woulda used the term Hell, but that's not me). And Wii can just blow up for all I care. PS3 forever.
A system's sucess can't possibly be made on one game you know...
I know that. It takes a lot of sales of both system and games to bring about success. I want to get Crossfire first because it's a Gundam game (which I do not have a lot of) and then, if it's good, I'll see about getting more.
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion
SNT1

Obviously PS3's assumed downfall is its price, but I think Sony still has trump cards that can still shift the favor their way.

Although some Squeenix games may squeeze out to other consoles (FFXI on X360) the main final fantasy series stays on PS3, and no matter how overrated you think the FF series is, it will sell. Also, titles like Gran Turismo are one of those games that are bought by people who normally dont play videogames (In auto message boards I read some drivers, not necessarily gamers, bought the PS2 just for GT3 and GT4.)

Ninja Gaiden, among the best in Xbox, also has a slight chance to move in to PS3, as rumors are flying around. Only rumors, however...

That being said, X360 right now has the lead, just because it already has a fanbase, plus its biggest hit is yet to arrive. Just dont count PS3 out yet.
Vash

I dont think there's an easy, clear answer on this one. Microsoft isnt winning Japan. It's just not gonna happen. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and DOAX2 might spark a little life into it, but the Japanese have made it loud and clear that they arent interested in the Gaijinbox 360 with sales even lower so far than the first Xbox. I think if the DS's current success is any inclination, the Wii will take over Japan in a big way. All nintendo needs is a few Square-Enix games for it and they're set. I think the ps3 will still be popular in Japan, but not nearly as much as the Wii.

America, however, is a different story. I think Microsoft's got the infrastructure in place to de-throne sony for the top spot. They've got a ton of things going for them so far: big name games (Halo 3, Gears of War, and no delay on their version of GTA4), a much more consumer friendly price of $300-400, and a year's head start. The ps3's price tag will drive away alot of sales, and at this point their big ace in the hole (blu ray support) is something a good 75% of the people dont give a crap about. They're betting way too much on their entry into the next gen dvd war, and I think its going to bite them in the ass. I dont see the Wii faring in america much better, among gamers nintendo still has the stigma of being the "kiddy company", and I think they missed the mark on price too. At $250, its awfully inticing to spend $50 and get a 360 core system. I think most people still care more about pretty graphics than new control methods. Even though nintendo is expecting Joe Consumer to go out and buy it cause its something completly new and supposedly less intimidating than current consoles, $250 is still alot of money to expect a non-gamer to shell out.
A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.
Gambit01

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:
A system's sucess can't possibly be made on one game you know...Especially sence not everyone is a fan of Gundam. Plus, its stupid to buy a system just for one game.
That's funny....I remember me saying the same thing about the original X-Box in reference to the original HALO.....

Anyway, give it to the PS3. People will buy it for the sole reason that it is the next generation of the previous victor, and then Sony will start kicking butt. They simply do things better then Microsoft when it comes to consul games.
I mean when you spend precious seconds to give an "All Your Nukes Are Belong To Us" speech before you even start the Gundam up, you know you're too overzealous for your own good.~wza
Blauer Nebel

I give credit to Nintendo for actually doing something different. All Sony and Microsucks are selling is more horsepower under the hood. Sure the games look pretty, but...yea...that's it. They're just pretty. They don't really bring anything new to the table that we haven't had our fill of before. And Blu-Ray may just be the PS3's Achille's heel (besides its price point anyway). It seems Sony is banking on the success of Blu-Ray, which may or may not win the format war against the HD-DVD. It's a pretty gutsy gamble on Sony's part. I can't really say anything against the 360 except for its failure in Japan, which was expected (at least by me). In fact, I may just purchase one after I get my Wii.

Also, Sony and MS were pretty surprised by the Wii at E3 06. The Wii also enjoyed the most popularity. The line to play the Wii was so long that they had to close it down because poeple who got there late would never get the chance to play it. On the other hand, the lines for the 360 and the PS3 were about 30 minutes long.
Assume the best. Prepare for the worst; for I have the hands of a saint and the mind of a sinner.
SNT1

All Sony and Microsucks are selling is more horsepower under the hood
"There is no replacement for displacement" :D

I'm curious on how expensive the PS3 games are. X360 games are at 60 bones each + tax, can't stomach anything more expensive >.<
Vash

SNT1 wrote: I'm curious on how expensive the PS3 games are. X360 games are at 60 bones each + tax, can't stomach anything more expensive >.<
$60. And I'm pretty sure thats all of them, whereas microsoft usually prices its first party games at $50 (although they seem to be quitely phasing that out, Gears of War will be $60).
A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.
Blauer Nebel

SNT1 wrote:"There is no replacement for displacement"
Hehehe. And Americans wonder why they have to spend so much at the pump. :roll:
Camille Vidan

Wii, there are more regular people than gamers, and wii is mainly made for them. So wii have numbers, hah. And the succes of DS over PSP may be an example for this "war".

By the way it's funny how everyone use the word "inovative" since the E3.
Anonymous

The 360 doesn't have the same popularity as Nintendo and PS3 in Europe sooo here i think PS3 will win :D
Xenogil

I really think the Wii's gonna come out on top. The price of the hardware and (1st party) software is very attractive. And the fact that the controller is essentially a remote may draw a largely untapped market.
Plus, there's the virtual console.

Here in the states, I'm guessing that the 360's going to come in second, followed by the Phantom, and THEN the PS3.
Folken Fanel

I think that when the PS3 first come out it will be either a major sucess or a huge flop. On one hand, its the definition of next gen. On the other, its price tag and the fact that Sony put's so much faith in Blu Ray when it hasn't even been proven a sucess might lead to its downfall. Don't count it out though, as the PS3 will make Sony a lot of big bucks. Even though developers have been marketing Playstation games(FFXI, Assasin's Creed) to other consoles, the core flagship titles, such as FF XII, stay on Sony's platform.

The 360 had a pretty rocky start, but its proven that it could be a PS3 killer. It has several quality games already and with Halo 3, Gears of War, and Dark Sector on it, I see a definite increase in sales when they're realeased. But, just because the 360 will probably win over here in the states doesn't gaurentee its sucess in Japan.

The Wii will probably give the 360 a good run for its money. Itsa strange and unique enough to attract people, and the new control system radically redefines how games will be played. Titles such as Metroid, Zelda, and Smash Bros. will give Nintendo a leg up in the fanboy department. Add to the fact that Nintendo will let you download older games from the internet gives it a leg up in the nostalgia factor. And its the most parent friendly due to the large amounts of E-rated games give it a boost as well.

Here's what I predict will happen:
1) PS3 enjoys massive sucess at launch
2) sales for the PS3 drop as anticipated titles for the Xbox 360 are realesed
3) Wii launches and is an immediate sucess
4)consoles enter a stalemate until a new super game emerges
5) said super game gies whatever console it is on a big enough boost to decide the winner of the console war.

For me, I'll get a 360 and a Wii later. I don't believe in paying more than 400 bucks for a console. Unless that console has Kingdom Hearts 3.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.