Which upcoming Video Game System do you plan on buying?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.

Which upcoming Video Game System do you plan on buying?

Sony Playstation 3
34%
Nintendo Wii
31%
Both
14%
Neither, I'm broke!
20%

Total votes: 35
Chris
Administrator

volrath77 wrote:The thing that matters to me about PS3 is the games and as far as I'm concerned, no more region coding.
Sorry, but everything you've read about this is wrong. Games will NOT be region free. As much as Sony locks down its content, this would never happen.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Blazing Dagger

Chris wrote:
volrath77 wrote:The thing that matters to me about PS3 is the games and as far as I'm concerned, no more region coding.
Sorry, but everything you've read about this is wrong. Games will NOT be region free. As much as Sony locks down its content, this would never happen.
There isn't!!! When did this info offically surface. I was under the empresion that it was. In fact I recal hereing that it did form many reputrable sources including TV. Not that TV is that reputrable.
Vash

It's true, I dont remember if its like psp where there are regions but they dont enforce them, or if there wont be regions for games at all, but sony has confirmed that you can play games cross-region.
A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.
volrath77

Chris wrote:
Mind telling us when this happened because I honestly don't remember reading anything of this sort. What was previously reported is that PS3 will indeed be region free - IIRC not just by one, but by 3 Sony execs. (Michael Ephraim, Phil Harrison & Ken Kutaragi).

However, developers will still have the option to put in region codes in the games. However, considering that the aim of doing away region coding is to enable them to do global simultaneous release, what would be the purpose of putting in region codes then?
G.Squirrel

However, developers will still have the option to put in region codes in the games. However, considering that the aim of doing away region coding is to enable them to do global simultaneous release, what would be the purpose of putting in region codes then?
Couple of things really. A Country has a right to restrict the region of any game because of political issues. Example: Any WWII game, such as Call of Duty, ever produced that features the Germans shall never be region free (This might also apply to movies but I'm not sure on that).

I'm suprised that no one as brought up the "disk-locking" feature that may or may-not enter the PS3 yet. I imagine that that would be a hot-button issue.
wonton bob

Motion picture studios in the USA wanted to control the release of movies around the world using DVD region codes.. Movies are released on DVD at different times around the world, typically America and Canada first, Australia and Japan 6 months later, and Europe 12 months after US release. In some instances, DVD movies are available for purchase in America and Canada before they are released in European cinemas. Due to the high quality of DVD and the movie release system used by Hollywood, 6 regions were establish to prevent people from watching Region 1 movies before they were released on Regions 2-6
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
sniperwolf

I think I will get the PS3 becuse after the stall on the launch it looks like they saw the compitison and thought they needed to make some good changes and hopfully the price will mean I will not be disaponted
Whenever you see that red laser on your shirt, be very afraid........
Blauer Nebel

Definitely getting the Wii. I can't really decide between PS3 or 360 as a second system. Both of which have underhwelmed me thus far. If I have to pay $600 for a system, then it better have some damn good features like an espresso machine or built-in coffee grinder. In this regard, the 360 seems slightly more appealing.
Assume the best. Prepare for the worst; for I have the hands of a saint and the mind of a sinner.
AmuroNT1

Okay, there seems to be a little confusion, but I think I can help.

The PS3 will be region-coded...HOWEVER, Bluray uses a different set of region codes than DVD. You see...

Region A/1 = North America, South America, East Asia except for China
Region B/2 = Europe, Middle East, Africa and Oceania
Region C/3 = China, Russia and South Asia

Therefore, while the system will be coded, one will still be able to play Japanese games on an American system - simply because the US and Japan are part of the same region now.
G.Squirrel wrote:I'm suprised that no one as brought up the "disk-locking" feature that may or may-not enter the PS3 yet. I imagine that that would be a hot-button issue.
You mean that rumor that PS3 games would be "coded" to only work on the first system that plays them? Sony may be pulling a few dumb ones this cycle, but they're not stupid enough to do that, since it would completely lock them out of the rental and pre-owned games market, as well as preventing loaning between friends.

Oh, and in regards to the original question...despite my earlier comments, I'm most interested in the PS3. I just recognize the fact that Sony's done some really stupid stuff this time around, and needs to shut Kutaragi up before he says anything else. Ignoring things like the price tag, all the developers I like are going with PS3, so that's why it's got my interest. Second place goes to the Wii, and to be perfectly frank, I can't think of a single 360 title that I really want. Of course, your opinion and mileage may vary.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
G.Squirrel

You mean that rumor that PS3 games would be "coded" to only work on the first system that plays them? Sony may be pulling a few dumb ones this cycle, but they're not stupid enough to do that, since it would completely lock them out of the rental and pre-owned games market, as well as preventing loaning between friends.
One never knows. The fact that they would acctually seek a patent for it when Sony was in the midst of it's Blu-Ray on PS3 hype seems a little fishy to me.
AmuroNT1

If anything, I'd just consider that to be a cautious overreaction, given how they lost the use of vibrating controllers due to the patent issue with that.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power