Mekton Zero Kickstarter

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Vent Noir

Mekton Zero Kickstarter

Mekton, the first ever mecha role-playing game, has launched a kickstarter for a new edition.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/188 ... ekton-zero

PS: Oh, and it looks like Mark Simmons is doing some of the mecha designs.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Xenosynth

Re: Mekton Zero Kickstarter

This seems pretty awesome so far. Damn it, I was trying to develop my own system too. Might as well still finish mine, but yeah, I want this.
AmuroNT1

I hope they make the rules a little simpler, the complexity of old Mekton was what kept me from making use of it before.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Toxicity

Yeah, I'll toss some dosh at this. I learned MZ+ a few years ago and couldn't find anyone to play it with me at the time, but I've got a much better group nowadays so maybe some of them will be interested.
Vent Noir

AmuroNT1 wrote:I hope they make the rules a little simpler, the complexity of old Mekton was what kept me from making use of it before.
From what Mike Pondsmith said in the video, it seems that way.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Xenosynth

Well, if we are all getting the book, sometime we might wanna try doing an MAHQ group Mekton Zero campaign. I don't know very many people IRL that'd be interested in playing a tabletop, let alone a mech one.
maxmike

Hi gang. Mike Pondsmith here. Answering some questions about the M-Zero Kickstarter.

1) M-Zero is a lot simpler than the Zeta system, although you can still use Zeta to build mecha to use in Zero. It also concentrates a lot more on individualizing the mecha, so that even the same model isn't going to be the same suit.

2) Yes, Mark Simmons is one of the M-Zero team, as well as Benjamin Wright and several others. Mark's been drawing Mekton mecha since the first edition, so it's great to have him on board again.

3) M-Zero elements can easily be applied to the Gundam Metaverse, and we will probably be publishing some conversions for that setting in the near future.

4) M-Zero is more oriented towards roleplaying than just miniatures play, although you can use it for that way. I have been using the system over the last year to run a Gundam RPG campaign based on the post Stardust 0083 period, called Palomino Runaway. Works pretty well.

Drop by and see what we're doing! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/188 ... ekton-zero
Xenosynth

Oh wow! Very nice to have you join us Mr. Pondsmith!

I'm glad to hear that it can be easily converted from Zeta to Zero, since I ended up buying the Mekton Zeta books and was giving those a read now. Seems complex, but fun, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to adapt (Though given that Zero is going to be coming soon I think I should maybe wait until that is out too).

Good thing there's still a bit of time on the kickstarter, I need to earn some money to put towards it.
Vent Noir

Mike, since you and hopefully the Gundamn! hosts are reading this, I'd just like to mention that it would be cool if we could have you as a guest on Gundamn! at some point.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Outlaw

Xenosynth wrote:Seems complex, but fun, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to adapt.

Good thing there's still a bit of time on the kickstarter, I need to earn some money to put towards it.
Trust me, the complexity (barring some of the trickier bits) is mostly front loaded, once you get a good hold on the system it flows pretty smooth. The first mech I designed took nearly a couple hours now, I can knock one out in ten or twenty minutes no prob.

I can sympathize about the money, I was already saving up for two or three things right now, I'd love to contribute but I don't know if I can carve out yet more funds.

Xenosynth wrote:Well, if we are all getting the book, sometime we might wanna try doing an MAHQ group Mekton Zero campaign. I don't know very many people IRL that'd be interested in playing a tabletop, let alone a mech one.
If you want to go down that route why not try to get the community together and create an original setting?
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Ryujin

maxmike wrote:Hi gang. Mike Pondsmith here. Answering some questions about the M-Zero Kickstarter.
Drop by and see what we're doing! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/188 ... ekton-zero
Now that it's in stretch goal territory, any possibility that you could use the services of another mecha designer?
Ceiling_Squid

Well, isn't that just a stroke of serendipity!

I'm starting my first Gundam campaign using the Zeta ruleset this weekend, after discovering the existence of Mekton a mere year ago. Got nice-condition used copies of the core book and MZ+ at my local game store. Seeing a long-dormant system resurrected with a new edition is fantastic. I love Mekton Zeta to pieces, but I can see where it needs a lot of streamlining and more RP focus, just to make my life easier as a GM. It's a lot of work for me at present just to prepare Zeta materials! Color me excited for Zero.

Also very glad to hear of the compatibility with the old mech-generation rules from Z+. I think I'd like to convert my material mid-campaign if Zero is as good as I think it will be.

And Mr. Pondsmith, thanks for stopping by! I eagerly await any conversion rules you guys might come up with for Gundam games in Mekton Zero. They'll certainly be of use to my campaign, if it takes off. I'm hoping any such rules might cover setting-central elements, like minovsky particles and the like?

You've got my backing, that's for sure. Pledge is in.
Zeonista

Pledge sent, looking forward to the new edition. This one really cheered me up. It was good to see R. Talsorian back in action! Been a big fan of the game ever since I got my copy of Mekton II back in 1988. Good times. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Vent Noir

The Kickstarter is over, and successfully funded with over $50,000! Which means we get the book in full color and hardcover.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Toxicity

Fuck yeah giant robots.
Ceiling_Squid

Haha! Success. Gonna be stoked for the hardcover.