Super Robot Wars OE

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Strike Zero

Super Robot Wars OE

Jesus Christ, what is with all of the new Super Robot Wars games lately?! It's a Super Robot War-a-palooza!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... d83e20.jpg

Apparently, Super Robot Wars OE (Operation Extend) is going to be a digital download title on the PSN and will be released in chapters, with 8 chapters in total (I can hear Banpresto laughing all the way to the bank already). The battle system is going to be based off the one from NEO, with the battle scenes being a mix of 2D and 3D animation.

According to the scans, the list of entries includes:
Spoiler
Tengenn Toppa Guren Lagann
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Pailsen Files
Armored Trooper VOTOMS Red Shoulder Document: Roots of Ambition
Blue Comet SPT Layzner
Zettai Muteki Raijinoh
Genki Bakuhatsu Ganbaruger
Nekketsu Saikyō Go-Saurer
Kanzen Shouri Daiteioh
Lord of Lords Ryu Knight
Keroro Gunsou
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Zoids: Chaotic Century
Zoids Genesis
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Aura Battler Dunbine
Heavy Metal L-Gaim
Juushin Liger
Shin Getter Robo Armageddon
Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen
Mobile Police Patlabor
Mobile Police Patlabor the Movie
Macross F
Sengoku Majin GoShogun
Super Beast Machine God Dancougar
NG Knight Lamune & 40

And more...
Holy freaking crap.

Keroro Gunsou and Patlabor? Have I been transported to the Twilight Zone without realizing it?
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Re: Super Robot Wars OE

With all the errors that the PS Store has been giving users for 2 years (and which I currently am suffering myself), they'd better not make DL-only SRWs commonplace. :x

I can't even get 20 bucks from a prepaid PSN card on my US account right now; I sure as heck don't want to spend 70 bucks on a 5000 yen digital PSN card only to have the store refuse it.
Kuruni

I still wait to see it on Famitsu's website.

The whole thing is rather fishy...
My girlfriend was a loli.
Xenosynth

O_o PSN has errors on the Japanese Market? I've been buying DLC and games on there for 3+ years without any issue. I usually just buy the digital PSN cards from Play-Asia and then it seems to work.

I have 800 yen extra on my account actually, so I may get the first episode just to try it.

Episodic games seem to be in lately. I actually like the idea, because it allows a buyer to:
1. See if they actually like the game without dropping 60 dollars on the full release.
2. More of a personal thing, but I find it easier to pay for things in smaller amounts than larger amounts all at once.

Look at the Walking Dead game from Telltale. It's pretty critically acclaimed and had a similar business method, and I didn't mind it at all. It still ends up being the price of the full game. It's just a slight bit more of a pain in the ass for foreigners, and... well, we aren't the market for the game, so we don't count xD
Strike Zero

Kuruni wrote:I still wait to see it on Famitsu's website.

The whole thing is rather fishy...
If this is in fact a bogus announcement, it's a pretty darned convincing one. :lol: The screenshots look authentic, they didn't go too overboard with the new entries, the series that Banpresto recently acquired/reacquired for Z2 would being there makes sense, and the rest were in NEO, the game that this is supposedly based on. All of these points point to either the game being real, or the perpetrator being some sort of master manipulator with the ability for intricate thought process. :lol:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Mark064

While I really like the series list using Neo's system makes me want to pass on it. Maybe if the system was greatly improved but I really ended up despising Neo's system and dropped the game rather quickly.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Mu La Flaga

I admit the list looks interesting, but on PSP as a Digital Download would be rather annoying to set up an account and get it working and all that.
angelwingzero

Looks pretty dumb to me. A worse cash grab than UX because they're making you pay for the game in pieces.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Xenosynth

Ehh, I think the cash grab excuse is just that. I don't think it's really a cash grab because in the end you get what you pay for (At least with all episodic games I've experienced so far, such as Walking Dead, and Sam and Max). It's not like they are making you pay for a full priced game for every installment. Plus it means the game itself gets to release slightly earlier because only sections of it need to be done. And again, you can buy the full game (all episodes just having to wait until they come out) and at a slight discount (I believe 6,480 yen, which is cheaper than most PSP SRW games in my experience) so all in all, explain how this is just a cash grab?
angelwingzero

Well I'd have to say that because of the relatively low cost to produce the game, the fact that there;s no physical copy, and no guarantee that the announced 8 episodes will be all of the episodes, the profit margin on this game looks pretty high for little entry cost.

Then there's the fact that this is an experiment in whether or not the business model would work for them and if it does, the cost to reproduce a game of similar quality goes down while they still charge the same price. Part of playing the longer business game, again for little cost to them.

Then there's also the fact that Namco-Bandai has been re-susing a lot of the same licenses for the last four non-OG games they've made which seem like they're trying to get the most out of those licenses before they have to re-up or not. They're riding the hype of Z2, UX and the OG games to capitalize.

To me this has got a lot of the marks of a cash grab.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Xenosynth

Well, given that they said that you get the complete collection for the 6480, I doubt they'd add extra episode.

And... honestly physical copies are being phased out. As a PC gamer I already have adapted to this. Pretty sure eventually consoles will be download only.

As for using the same licenses, that may be true, however, they still need to redesign all the assets for the game given the new graphical styling, and we are getting some new things with the game (Patlabor, Keroro Gunsou) and overall, I don't think it's that much of a cash grab. We don't know whether the game will be shorter or longer than a typical SRW game.

I dunno. I don't feel I can judge the game before it comes out.
angelwingzero

On the physical media thing, I just bring it up cause it's a little different with consoles and handhelds people like to have that physical thing to hold on to and say is "mine". Others also like to actually collect games, and virtual games are un-collectible.

I see the business things going on, but I'll personally judge the game cause I don't want to open up a Japanese PSN account and fill up a memory stick with one game that doesn't look very cool to me.
Kuruni

The 1st PV

Now, it look rather nice...
Kuruni

I wil only comment on girl original.

Pony tail!!!!! Absolutely win!

The cleavage window doesn't fit her, really.
Xenosynth

Got this game, episode one, pretty damn fun so far. Because of the 3D transition they don't really have the 'dynamic finishes' (At least not that I've seen) but the battle graphics are pretty awesome. The non-traditional non-grid map is also very fun, as well as the ability to replay missions and have bonus scenarios and missions to play. The Library is pretty cool, being able to rotate the model and even being able to change the pose for a few robots (The original Gundam having a Beam Rifle and Hyper Bazooka pose, the Zaku IIs having different weapons and being able to pose them aiming). Overall, though not far in, it definitely seems like a nice entry to the series and overall fun so far, it feels more involved and actiony than other SRW titles (Though it's still a turn based RPG.)

Edit: Forgot to add but I really like the free movement animations on the maps. Things like how the Ingrams run and jump, and how certain units fly, dash, etc. It's something little but it's nice to see actual animation to the movement rather than just move-teleporting.

Also, another cool mechanic is that certain attacks have knockback and can knock enemies out of a range for them to counterattack you. The Ingram unit 2's shotgun for instance has nice knockback for enemies on the map.