Gundam in Civilization 3

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Delta_Strife

Gundam in Civilization 3

Hello Everyone!

I am a unit maker over at civfanatics for civIII. I mostly do surface warships from WWI and WWII. But recently I have been getting bored of these eras would love to do some future style surface warships. I was thinking about some of the surface vessels from Gundam Seed and Destiny would be perfect and would go with some of the Gundam units that have already been made. Do any of you know or have seen any 3d models for these warships on the internet? I saw lots for the space warships but none for the surface vessels like the Orb Aegis class.

Cheers,
Delta_Strife
AmuroNT1

Re: Gundam in Civilization 3

I think the best you could do for 3D models of Seed vehicles would be to look into the video games like Never-Ending Tomorrow or Generation of C.E. I've been trying to do some model-ripping myself, but the PS2 is rather annoying for that because it handles the Z-scaling internally, which means ripped meshes come out looking flat and need to be "repaired" in a program like Blender or 3D Studio Max.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Delta_Strife

Out of curiosity what program are you using?
AmuroNT1

I've tried several things, including 3D Ripper DX, 3DVia Printscreen, and even the PS2 emulator's built-in screengrab feature, but all I've managed is to get the front half of a Ball from Encounters in Space. Admittedly, other projects have been stealing my attention so I haven't given it as much effort as I could have.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Delta_Strife

I know the feeling of other projects stealing attention. Last time that happened did an Iowa Class BB with a modern superstructure and flight deck. :)

If you do spare some time I would appreciate any help you could give.
AmuroNT1

Currently doing a project for the site (doing some custom lineart for Gihren's Greed variants), but I'll give it a shot when that's done.

Delta_Strife

Thank you!!!! Look forward to the results and will be patient for you to finish your other projects.
AmuroNT1

Well, I took a quick look into the games I have (G Generation Seed and Generation of CE), and I don't know how much will actually be of interest to you.

GGSeed (only listing Seed stuff here):
Archangel
Vesalius
Eternal
Gamov
Mid-Class Landship (Petrie)
Menelaus
Lesseps
Laurasia class
130m class (AKA Drake class)
250m class (AKA Nelson class)

GoCE:
Archangel
Agamemnon-class
Izumo
Vesalius (Nazca class)
Eternal
Ortegia
Girty Lue
Gamov (Laurasia class)
Galvani (Laurasia class)
Kusanagi (Izumo class)
Desmond (Lesseps class)
Dominion (Archangel class)
Nazca class
Nyiragongo (Vosgulov class)
Bagley (Petrie class)
Petrie (Petrie class)
Henry Carter (Petrie class)
HOME
Vosgulov class
Malpighi (Laurasia class)
Minerva
Menelaus (Agamemnon class)
Re-HOME
Lesseps
Lesseps (Junk Guild ver.)
Laurasia class

If you're willing to go outside of CE, there's a lot more to choose from.

Delta_Strife

Hey AmuroNT1

Sorry for the delay moved to a new apartment so no internet till friday. Have to use the internet at work when I am on break. Thanks for the list. Spaceships I have plenty of models. Even started making some in to civ units. Can view it here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487430

From your list I am interested in:
Vosgulov class

Basically anything in ocean water at the moment. :)

Thank you!!!
AmuroNT1

No need to apologize, life happens.

Just to check, you're aware that the Drake and Nelson are spaceships, right? I know you said you were looking specifically for naval vessels. Also, there are technically two versions of these ships; in Seed they were simply warships, but in Destiny they were given bolt-on mobile suit hangars. G Generation Seed obviously uses the original, but I believe Generation of CE uses the Destiny version.

Of course, obtaining PS2 models is kind of an annoying proposition for several reasons. For one, the PS2 handles Z-scaling internally, which means any meshes you obtain come out flat and need to be fixed manually. Secondly, there are two main methods, either pulling the files directly from the game or using a program to "screencap" the models.

The first can be stymied if the files are compressed; using a hex editor on Gundam vs Zeta showed a full list of file names, including revealing that the character models use the PZZ format, but my extractor pulled them out with generic names like "File0001"...and there were literally over 9000 of them.

The second really requires an in-game model viewer, because if you try it in-game you'll also get the surrounding environment, which tends to produce a mesh so large that Blender and 3D Studio Max will refuse to load them, which is the problem I encountered while trying to rip from Zeonic Front.

Now, there are some models like what you wanted in some of these games. For example, Alliance vs ZAFT II has the Aegis-class and the massive Takemikazuchi, but the game lacks a model viewer so I'd have to extract the files. Still trying to find a method that works, so give me a little time and I'll see what I can do.

Part of the problem is simply finding a game that contains the machines you want; for instance, I've been trying to get as complete a library as I could for Gundam Wing, but the Taurus and TV version of Altron show up in surprisingly few games...in fact, AFAIK, they've ONLY been in G Generation Neo, G Generation Seed, and Super Robot Wars Alpha for Dreamcast (with the Taurus also appearing in Gundam Extreme Vs. and its sequel). If we can't find the ships you want, you could always go with landships like the Lesseps and Petrie, since their scale systems let them operate on land or sea.

Delta_Strife

Opps in my excitement I put the nelson and drake on there but I have some models of them that will work. But that being said really would love the aegis class. If you find your having trouble with large files that blender crashes on I have bryce and it seems to handle large scenes very well so you can send the larger files over.

No worries about taking awhile to get the files I am patient and have some Zeon and Federation ships that I am working on. I did not know that the Lesseps and Petrie could go on sea so I would be interested in them as well.