Gotta love the old school

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
fullupneon

Gotta love the old school

Anyone still play Federation vs Zeon, Gundam vs Zeta Gundam, and Encounters in Space? If so, tell me aboot things like your best unit and your battle records.
Glory to the Brodie Empire!

Jun Jion!
BrentD15

Re: Gotta love the old school

I have all three that you mentioned, and then some. :D

Federation vs Zeon DX: I would like to say that I like the Campaign mode, and that it has more units active during the Arcade mode, like you would have warship in the area with you, or various other units like the Magellan Top and Base, and the Fly Manta.

Encounters in Space: I personally like this game a lot. The White Base Modes, Thoroughbred, Ace Pilot mode, and even Mission Mode, where you can build your own pilot. :mrgreen: And also, the Versus mode, where you can pit two pilots against each other, and experience unique dialogues between them. :)

Gundam vs Zeta Gundam: One of the best that were released. Yeah, I know, that it's a combination of Fed vs Zeon and AEUG vs Titans with more units (even a few ZZ units and pilots :)), but what really stands out to me is the Universal Century mode, where you can play as the pilots of Mobile Suit Gundam and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, and can alter events that happened in the series, like Four Murasame lives, Zeon conquers Earth, even CCA. :mrgreen:

In my opinion, they don't make them like they used to anymore. Too many Gundams, not enough grunt units. :(
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Toxicity

I think I broke a controller FvZ frustrated me so much. EiS was probably my favorite gundam game and largely the reason why the GP04G is one of my favorite mobile suits (MG where?). I have GvZG as well, but I never played it as much because I was turned off for some reason, I think it may have been the lack of an overall story or campaign mode to play through.

And how can you start an classic gundam games thread without mentioning Zeonic Front? Even if it did become kinda easy mode once you got Doms.
BrentD15

Toxicity wrote:I think I broke a controller FvZ frustrated me so much. EiS was probably my favorite gundam game and largely the reason why the GP04G is one of my favorite mobile suits (MG where?). I have GvZG as well, but I never played it as much because I was turned off for some reason, I think it may have been the lack of an overall story or campaign mode to play through.

And how can you start an classic gundam games thread without mentioning Zeonic Front? Even if it did become kinda easy mode once you got Doms.
Or what about Journey to Jaburo? That's even older yet!
I have it, played it, and got bored.
But they messed up the Zock's design. :lol:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Dark Duel

I still have GvZ, which was my favorite game to play of the ones I had, but I have not played it in a long time b/c my PS2 died years ago and I could not afford a new one at the time. And I just never got around to replacing it.
But I loved the game for the same reasons as Brent mentioned above.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
BrentD15

Dark Duel wrote:I still have GvZ, which was my favorite game to play of the ones I had, but I have not played it in a long time b/c my PS2 died years ago and I could not afford a new one at the time. And I just never got around to replacing it.
But I loved the game for the same reasons as Brent mentioned above.
Thanks! :mrgreen:
Dark Duel

I will say this though: In GvZ, my favorite round and least favorite round ever were:
FAVORITE: Battle on Luna 2 in which Char shows up and the game ends either when you take him out or when Char leaves the battle area. I'm in a Guntank.
Char bugs out. I get a lock on him just as he's about to leave the battle area. I open fire...and I shoot him down from all the way across the stage. Guntank's range and accuracy was FRIGGIN' AWESOME. Best artillery unit in the game IMO.
My second favorite was the time I took out the Big Zam in an RB-79.

LEAST FAVORITE: Final stage of the Kamille Titans route. Final Boss: Amuro in the RX-78-2. I took him on in the Z and ZZ Gundams, and he ripped me apart. It took a maxed-out The O to beat him. And I hate using The O because it's so friggin' slow.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
BrentD15

Dark Duel wrote:I will say this though: In GvZ, my favorite round and least favorite round ever were:
FAVORITE: Battle on Luna 2 in which Char shows up and the game ends either when you take him out or when Char leaves the battle area. I'm in a Guntank.
Char bugs out. I get a lock on him just as he's about to leave the battle area. I open fire...and I shoot him down from all the way across the stage. Guntank's range and accuracy was FRIGGIN' AWESOME. Best artillery unit in the game IMO.
My second favorite was the time I took out the Big Zam in an RB-79.

LEAST FAVORITE: Final stage of the Kamille Titans route. Final Boss: Amuro in the RX-78-2. I took him on in the Z and ZZ Gundams, and he ripped me apart. It took a maxed-out The O to beat him. And I hate using The O because it's so friggin' slow.
Slow?
I found it's dash movements to be rather fast, and those melee moves are deadly. :D
Strike105

FvsZ was one of my favorites. I really love the campaign mode, especially the missions where you aid/fight the White Base and it's pilots. It kinda makes me wonder how different the original show would have been if the White Base actually was aided at random points by some other Federation pilot with a Ground Gundam (my main Fed suit for the majority of the game. My main Zeon MS is the Gouf)

EiS I have mixed feelings about. It is an okay game. I like the large MS/MA/fighter roster, and the Amuro/Char sword fighting scene was quite a pleasent surprise the first time I saw it, but EiS suffers from the same problem that seems to plague a lot of Gundam games: All of the mobile suits play exactly the same. I know some of them are faster than others, or have better armor or weapons, but none of the suits feel unique. It's pretty good for a while, but it doesn't take long for it to start getting old.

GvsZG I loved as well. So much in fact, that I think I wore the disk out. It now freezes during launch videos, and whenever anything related to Garma or 0079 Char comes up. Also, whenever my pilot is about to speak, the picture stays up and obscures a quarter of the screen for a couple minutes without saying anything or even moving their lips until the game finally decides when it wants them to speak. My GvsZG glitches aside, I like the UC mode. Not nearly as much as FvZ's Campaign, but the scenarios the UC mode presents has a similar effect to me, as it makes me wonder how different the show would have been if Amuro was with the AEUG from the beginning, or if Kamille or Amuro got the ZZ Gundam.
Dark Duel

BrentD15 wrote:I found it's dash movements to be rather fast, and those melee moves are deadly. :D
Well, now I think on it "slow" isn't quite the right word. Its speed is actually reasonaby decent for such a fat MS(though there are a fair few that are faster), and yeah, its dash movement speed ain't too shabby...it's its maneuverability that's lousy.
OTOH those crotch-arm sabers make it a pretty dangerous opponent. And its armor is retardedly thick. I used Z and ZZ Gundams A LOT though.
On Earth I loved using the RX-79[G].

BrentD15

Dark Duel wrote:On Earth, I loved using the RX-79[G].
I always found its movements to be a little awkward.