Regarding Crossfire

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Xenosynth

Regarding Crossfire

Now, I've seen Crossfire get a ton of flak, and just general negativity. Most of that either stems from the slow gameplay, and difficulty curves. Also read some things about glitchiness. Now I've been watching some videos on youtube, and to me the game doesn't look too bad, the slower pace, and destructible parts look interesting. However, I want to just ask fellow mecha fans if it's worth the 15 bucks I'd pay for it, or if, like many reviews from IGN and other sites say, the game is just utter irredeemable crap. I am buying 0081 already, and so Crossfire will be the only PS3 Gundam game (And one of the only Gundam games) I don't own. So... yes. Opinions from other mecha/gundam fans?
mcred23

Re: Regarding Crossfire

I only played it a brief bit years ago when it came out, but found most of the criticism about graphics and framerate and all that to be pretty much accurate. I suggest reading Chris' review of it, which addressed most of the issues with the game, and looking through some of the older threads in this section on the subject, as I know there are a few. As you already seemed to have figured out, opinions on it tend to be very polarizing, everyone either loved or hated it, but IMO most of them tended to be negative for a reason...
Last edited by mcred23 on Mon May 28, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Xenosynth

Ah,, didn't see that he had a review of it. Thank you ^^
J-Lead

Eh, if you get over the god awful aspects of the game, it's not entirely un-enjoyable. I found myself liking it to a certain degree, but my god, could it have benefited from some extra time to polish some of the rougher gameplay elements...and everything else.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Kei Katsuragi

I was sooooo stoked for this game when I heard about, and upon playing it for the first time all the issues didn't outright bug me, because my only expectation was "Will I get to kill stuff in a Mobile Suit?" and that's exactly what I got. However, after beating the game once as Zeon and once as the Federation, I have never went back played it again. I much prefer the older Gundam titles, but in my opinion it's worth at least one play through.
Xenosynth

Yeah, I'm seeing it for cheap enough that if I don't like it, it won't be a complete loss. A lot of elements seem good on paper, like the destructable parts. To me it looked like a deeper version of Lost War Chronicles, which I loved, however, I am noticing in the gameplay lots of technical hiccups, as well as the uselessness of sniping/artillery. (The ai is a damn cheat.)

Thanks everyone for replying though ^^
Doctord

Well whenever I first moved here I went through the entire game on both sides. (Didn't have internet)

It was fun especially with a team of three maxed RX-78's. Just a heads up the ai can't really handle themselves even with the Gundam.

For 15 bucks this game is well worth it if your a fan. Its a little slow, the voice acting is bad but its selectable and it lags. However punching the head off of a gm with a Z'gok makes all the way up for it.
" Or you could go the G Gundam route and have MS shaped like fish and windmills. Plus old men taking down MS with towels."

Char Aznable touching your butt is like the Gundam version of being knighted!
Kei Katsuragi

Doctord wrote:Well whenever I first moved here I went through the entire game on both sides. (Didn't have internet)

It was fun especially with a team of three maxed RX-78's. Just a heads up the ai can't really handle themselves even with the Gundam.

For 15 bucks this game is well worth it if your a fan. Its a little slow, the voice acting is bad but its selectable and it lags. However punching the head off of a gm with a Z'gok makes all the way up for it.
Modifying a Kaempfer to the Heavy setting (aka Black Kaempfer :D) and just flying into the vanguard of the Federation mobile suits and just going all out was easily the highlight of the entire game for me.
Scyron

Back when it was launchitis with very little good games, much less exclusives, it was worth $40 for me. Looking back at it, about 1 month ago, I tried it, the game is utter crap and very very hard to play, even on very easy. Something about the controls are just not responsive and generally lack control over the MS.

However, getting to play as a GM with a dual scythe beam blade, that was some AWESOME stuff. Probably the pinnacle of owning ms in melee battles in the earth's sphere.
Fake_Emotion

I just got the game yesterday and I don't think it's as bad as people thought. I've heard people say that it was given bad reviews on purpose in the US to crash the PS3's launch, as this was at the end of animes mainstream popularity in the west. Too bad Bandai never brought any other Gundam games to the US afterward, they thought it sold poorly due to people not liking Gundam. I can see why people would say its bad, but I only got it to tide me over until my copy of Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS arrives. Sorry for the tangents.
Favorite Mech Animes: Code Grass Lelouch of the Rebellion and Eureka Seven.
Doctord

Haven't played in a few years, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for Crossfire. The gameplay is a bit slow losing your gun hand 5 seconds into a mission can suck. It all pales in comparison to the laughs I got confusing my friends while they tried to stay locked on to my Dom.
Well worth the 15 dollars imo
" Or you could go the G Gundam route and have MS shaped like fish and windmills. Plus old men taking down MS with towels."

Char Aznable touching your butt is like the Gundam version of being knighted!