Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena *spoilers*

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
VR7

Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena *spoilers*

http://atlus.com/p4arena/

Has anyone played this yet? It's basically a Persona 4 themed Guilty Gear/BlazBlue/Hokuto no Ken/etc., and it also features a few characters from Persona 3. It also has one new original character, Labrys. Just bringing it up, because no one seemed to talk about it even before its official console release.

Gameplay is what you expect from Arc System Works, but I just want to say that the story mode is the best I've seen in a fighting game so far. I've actually been expecting much, much worse considering the track record with story modes in fighting games. Actually, I might go far and say that it's the first PS3/360 game where I actually genuinely liked the story. I liked Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker's storyline too, but that's a PSP title so it doesn't really count.

Since the game just came out, tag all spoilers or Elizabeth will kill you all.
Spoiler
If you really want to see, people are uploading full playthroughs of the story mode up on YouTube. I don't feel like summarizing the story.

The general storyline takes place in the span of a day and isn't nearly as long as Persona 3 or 4 was, but the writing quality is on the same level as Persona 4's. I was doubtful too since I actually started off by ridiculing the characters (especially the P3 ones).

My favorite story mode in this game has to be Labrys'. It is entirely in visual novel format with only one fight scene; the rest focuses entirely on her background story as well as the events that lead up to the game's plotline. Playing Labrys' story mode is required in order to see the true ending of the game--if you don't complete it, all characters' story modes will end on cliffhangers.

The narrative in Labrys' mode is really, really good, and the real highlight of P4U's story. Now I remember the word that best describes her story--touching; heart-rending.
-noel
SlowTurtle

Re: Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena *spoilers*

Just picked it up yesterday an went through lesson mode first and just barely started story mode. Any tips or hints I should know?
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
VR7

I actually don't have any real competitive experience in this game yet, but I do have a guaranteed sparring partner.

Gameplay
  • You shouldn't have much problem getting used to how the game works if you've played Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star, Sengoku Basara X, etc. so I don't know what else to say that would be of much help.
  • The AI is really stupid. Not really a criticism of the game as a fighter, since it's better off if they're just punching bags anyway. 90% of the time they will start the round by immediately running straight at you and attacking with their auto-combos. This is your best opportunity to punish them, but don't expect a human player to do the same thing.
  • I don't know a thing about tier lists in this game or in any other fighting game. I just pick my character based on their looks. I also don't know enough about the play style of characters other than Labrys, Narukami and Elizabeth.
  • If you use an arcade stick, the button layout is similar to Hokuto no Ken's. I think.
  • The tutorial mode should get everyone up to speed. Even if you've played any of the aforementioned games, there will always be some slight differences like the how the All-Out Attack (P4A version of dust loop) works.
  • Even though every character has unique playing styles, they have the same QCF/QCB motions for all special moves. I don't know why this is, maybe it's to appeal to JRPG players who can't grasp unique motions like Shoryukens or Zangief's Atomic Buster.
  • This is an obvious one, but don't buy any DLC content on PSN/XBL marketplace that gives a warning that its content can be unlocked in-game. :P I unlocked Labrys as the round call voice by beating the arcade mode with her.
  • If all else fails, just mash the A button when you get close. The A button is an auto-combo that leads into a super if you have 50 SP and your Persona is not sealed. I wish you could disable this though; for higher level fighting it can lead to bad habits.
Story Mode Hints
Spoiler
  • Story mode in general is really easy because of the poor AI and that it is one round only. Be sure to save before every fight scene and make the most out of it either to learn the game directly in the story mode, or just skim over the fights by IK'ing everyone you see.
  • I accessed the true ending of the story mode by playing Yu Narukami, Teddie, Aigis then Labrys. Picking these specific characters doesn't matter; you just need to see Labrys' story in order to complete the story mode. I picked Narukami's cliffhanger route after playing Labrys.
  • Labrys cannot use her Persona in story mode, so don't bother. There's only one fight scene anyway.
  • Chie, Kanji and Yukiko have alternate story routes. Be sure to finish those if you want 100%. They are the only ones whose dialogue choices actually matter and lead to alternate endings. Narukami has alternate dialogue choices but they only affect the dialogue slightly.
  • You can perform IK moves in the story mode at any time except when you are playing as Labrys (I think). When the round starts, do a Burst for 100 SP gauge, then use an IK to finish off the AI--this is the best way for dealing with AI if you aren't good at fighting games or really don't care.
  • I forgot to mention that no knowledge of Persona 4: The Golden (Vita port of Persona 4) is required to play through the story of P4A. Don't expect any unique Social Links or characters to appear.
-noel
AmuroNT1

From what I've heard, all the top-tier characters are the ones from P3 - Mitsuru, Akihiko, Labrys, etc.

Also, I assume they went with "common" motions like quarter circles because more unique stuff like you see in KOF is really annoying (rot in hell, Double Pretzel).
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
VR7

I didn't think Zangief's 360 motions were that bad. I've never done double pretzel movements before but it sounds kinda fun in a horrible way.

Kind of funny that Labrys would be top-tier, because the last character I used as a main (Makoto Nanaya in BlazBlue) was also apparently god tier in that game. I was actually expecting that Narukami would be the most overused character in the game because he is technically the Shotokan of P4A.
-noel
AmuroNT1

Double Pretzel is the nickname for one of SNK's motions, most famously used for Geese Howard's Raging Storm move. The basic "pretzel" is Down-Back, Half Circle Back, Down-Forward.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
SlowTurtle

Ok so I have been playing onling and my best character has to be Elizabeth hasnds down. I don't know why but she just clicked for me.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
VR7

My sparring partner also wants to main Elizabeth... :P

Looks like my main will be Labrys from now on. I was originally planning on using Chie or Narukami as my main before the game released. Maybe that will change in the unlikely case that they introduce Tatsuya Suou as a DLC character.
If you spread a rumour about it maybe it'll come true.
Spoiler
Well, I warned you. These are more direct spoilers.

So as I said before, the story mode of Persona 4 Arena is great, one of the first 360/PS3 titles where I actually genuinely like resulting narrative. I don't even know if I've ever felt this way for other titles in this generation where I wanted to like the storylines, and that includes titles like Metal Gear Solid 4. On top of that, I am one who honestly didn't expect much of the story at all and was errenously predicting that it would be utter garbage. This manifested along the lines of "I think I'm gonna main Labrys because I liked her character design from the game's cover, but it's a fighting game so her story is probably generic Guilty Gear-esque rubbish."

In the 360/PS3 era my attitude towards game storylines have generally been apathetic and honestly it wasn't any different with Persona 4 Arena. My close-minded attitude isn't exactly unfounded--other than Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP game, doesn't count) I can't really think off the top of my head of any other game where the story at least interested me. Most other titles either disappointing or were really irritating for me to even consider decent storytelling. I'm sure there are games out there that really prove otherwise, but that's for another topic. Also, because it was a fighting game, my judgement was to base it on the standard set by Guilty Gear and BlazBlue--and not as an actual piece of relevant Persona fiction.

A lot of effort has been put into the writing, more than you would expect for a fighting game. The story mode is presented like a visual novel from the perspective of every single playable character in the game except for Shadow Labrys, who serves as the main antagonist of the game. The visual novel presentation is probably off-putting to most other people, I'd bet, but I've read a few visual novels before so I didn't really have a problem getting into it. While it's presented as a visual novel and the actual gameplay parts of it are little to no challenge at all; and while a lot of the scenes, particularly the intros and epilogues of the story, are similar or even identical; it is well over 30-40 hours worth of storyline. To get through all of it is nearly as long as actually playing the entirety of the original Persona 4.

Each character tells the story in a different way, reflective of their actual personalities. In Narukami's case, the story presents itself similarly to Persona 3 and 4, providing the player with numerous dialogue choices with little/no significance to the outcome of the storyline; as well as a lot of interaction with the Velvet Room, a staple of the Persona series. Other characters reflect on their past flaws in previous games, which are mentioned in a bit of detail for those who have never played the previous games before, and are forced to overcome their personal problems once more. In the case of the Persona 3 original characters, it's a chance to get a glimpse at what some of the cast of Persona 3 has been doing while completely outside of the audience's view. The two unique story modes belong to Labrys and Elizabeth; completing the former is required in order to access Elizabeth's story as well as the true ending of the game, which is blocked off by cliffhanger ends. In all story modes, the theme of friendship and truth is prevalent, just as it was in Persona 4. The overall quality of the writing is actually surprising--it's not just better than most other fighting game story modes, it's on par with previous Persona games. I wouldn't be surprised at all if most of the sales from this game are actually from serious Persona/JRPG/etc. fans who are only playing the game for its storyline and not because the want a Persona-themed Guilty Gear clone to screw around with.

Which brings me to Labrys' story mode, which serves as the backstory for the P-1 Grand Prix; completing this is not only required to see the game's true ending, it's also the best chapter in the entire game, despite having only one fight. The overall narrative starts off as simplistic, monotonous computer statements; gradually the dialogue starts to form more detailed sentences, eventually becoming natural, humanlike introspection. And as this narrative develops, so too did my empathy for Labrys--despite becoming completely self-aware, she and her kind are continuously treated insensitively; as nothing more than science projects and curiosities by the Kirijo Group researchers. It's no wonder that their treatment of her eventually drives her to near insanity, despite being a mere AI from the perspective of scientists who couldn't properly fathom the idea of robopsychology. The idea behind the story is not anything new, but the way it is executed is extremely well-written and poignant. Even when I go back to playing the story modes of other characters from the very beginning, i.e. Mitsuru and Narukami--Labrys' despair completely seeps into the hints laid out which foreshadow the reasoning behind the Grand Prix, Labrys' dungeon in the TV world. For this reason, Labrys is probably the first and only fighting game unique character whose story and background I actually genuinely like and care about. I've never felt this way about other characters I main in other fighters. (Labrys counts as unique because she was designed specifically for this game, unlike other licensed characters) Not that the other characters are that bad, but they don't really count because they come from a JRPG, so they already have a huge wealth of story from another genre to depend on.

Off-topic note, but I couldn't help but contemplate how Teddie, one of the (one of my favorite) characters from Persona 4, would have been an unlikable and annoying joke character had he been created for any other fighting game and not a unique character from a JRPG. I probably would not have cared for most of the other secondary characters either (i.e. Yosuke, Mitsuru, Elizabeth, etc.) had been created for any other fighter.

Kind of telling when an ordinary looking kid with giant expensive-looking headphones and an obsession with trashcans is somehow way more interesting of a character than Sol Badguy...

And yes, I am aware that Labrys was mentioned in a Persona 3 Drama CD before. I've never listened to it, though. Maybe that doesn't exactly make her 100% unique to fighters.

I never really cared about the malevolent entity that reveals itself just before the epilogue of the game as the culprit. I'm hearing theories that it might be a certain major antagonist from Persona 2, and as irrelevant conjecture I would concur. However, the narrative could do without it and still be an interesting story--it just reeks of foreshadowing an actual main Persona series sequel, which is really of no surprise to anyone who knows just how successful the Persona series is.

Elizabeth's story mode isn't exactly required reading unless you are a huge fanboy/fangirl of the Persona 3 protagonist, though it is pretty funny to read. In short, she blows up a television and waltzes into battles between other characters with a fabulous introduction.
-noel
SlowTurtle

We should play together sometime if you every get the chance and the story mode for P4A was awesome.
Spoiler
Liked how Elizabeth got her fool card at the end of her story in P4A. Thinking we are one step closer to saving the main character of Persona 3.
VR7

Does anyone wanna set up an 8-man lobby on PSN any time soon? It would be nice if at least more than two of us here have P4A.
Not exactly relevant but I also have Gundam Extreme VS (and I am not very good at it, but eh) so we could run a party that alternates between both games...?
-noel
SlowTurtle

I'm down for that, just give a date and time.