The Return of X-COM

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Ryujin

The Return of X-COM

And no, I don't mean the upcoming shooter that's going to be set in the early Sixties which had many fans up in arms.

This time around, it'll be a strategy/turn-based tactics game much more similar to the original and handled by Firaxis, supposedly with direct involvement from Syd Meier.

More details from the 2K forums.

Not exactly happy about the ONE BASE ONLY deal, but it's a minor quibble and things might still change in the future.

From the screenshot, looks like it's now hexagonal tiles instead of square ones--which I'm personally happy with, having been weaned on wargames with hexagonal-tile maps.

Looks like Mutons & Sectoids are in, as well as Cyberdiscs. Gotta wonder if Chryssalids are in too, because WE SURE LOVE CHRYSSALIDS. OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

I hope that they implement a difficulty setting tailored for those old-school players who enjoy aliens chucking grenades right into the Skyranger's rookie-filled cargo bay on the very first turn.

If this proves to be a great success, I've got my fingers crossed that Firaxis'll release some sort of TFTD add-on, with 150% more Lovecraft references.
Wingnut

Re: The Return of X-COM

Action points have been removed in favour of a more streamlined system, enabling XCOM units to either move and attack or move twice in a single turn.
Does this mean an end to the "Not enough Time Units." messages that tend to come at the worst times?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Ryujin

Transforming Cyberdiscs

This just keeps looking better & better.

Also, such things as character customization and Classic Mode
Does this mean an end to the "Not enough Time Units." messages that tend to come at the worst times?
Looks that way, doesn't it? At least our deaths won't be from miscounting the remaining movement points.
Laevatein

Compiled list of every written and video preview for XCOM: Enemy Unknown the past month for those who'd like to check out the game.

Also, Gamespot will be hosting a livestream later today (10am PDT) featuring more of the game. Only two weeks more till game release, will there be enough XCOM to feed my daily fix till then?!?!
bullethead

Here's a pretty cool pic of the sectoids, complete with a bit of nostalgia fodder:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-p ... 1186_n.jpg

Edit: There's a demo out on Steam.

Don't try to download it now. The servers are swamped.
Laevatein

Well, the demo is working now, downloading 15% as of this post.