Zelda Skyward Sword

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.

Did you rename Link?

Yes, to my own name
No votes
Yes, to an unrelated name
No votes
Yes, to a silly name
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 11
Destiny_Gundam

Zelda Skyward Sword

So what are people's thoughts on the game? Quite frankly where I'm at (beat 2 temples) it's kind of dull. It's not a bad game but nothing's really grabbed me yet. It doesn't help that there's only one hub town so there's little variety in the people you can interact with. At this point I definitely like Twilight Princess more.

Some of the new game play mechanics annoy me, though. A stamina gauge? Limited inventory? Breakable sheilds? Targeting with the slingshot is always manual? Arg. The "hit things at certain angles" thing sucks sometimes too, as enemy blocks aren't always clear on what the right angle is and even then when I try to slice that way it doesn't work (had to buy a Wiimote+ just for this game).

Little annoyances, but they do add up. Not enough to turn me away, though. I still want to play more in the hopes that it'll wow me later.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mark064

Re: Zelda Skyward Sword

I'm at about the same place as you, I've beaten the first two temples and started exploring the area of the third temple.

Random string of thoughts:

I like the stamina gauge as I like the fact you can do things like run and speed crawl. It's kind of like having the Pegasus Boots from Link to the Past. Other than that I only really find I'm running out of stamina if I run too much. And getting tired does make sense.

Limited inventory only annoys me because to add more Deku Seeds or Bombs you have to take up a slot in your pouch which is just silly since it should add to your existing bag.

I wish Nintendo would stop giving you the slingshot as it always becomes useless so quickly. I only used it until I got the flying bug thing. After which I realized I could use it for everything the slingshot needs to hit aside from Beedle's bell which I seem to have no luck hitting.

I like how the items can be upgraded now so they can be more powerful. Though why you need a tumbleweed to upgrade your shield makes no sense to me. Actually is general why they need items only available on the surface they don't know of makes no sense! I think the whole thing is a nice touch. Breakable shields is an interesting choice but I can't really complain, once again it's just one of those things that just make sense. And it's another use for your Ruppees unlike say Ocarina of Time where rupees were pretty much useless and you got so many.

Flying your bird is kind of annoying so far, it's not really bad it's just the sky is so vacant, I was hoping there would be more tiny islands to explore. But now I'm just flying to the pillar of light or the pumpkin place or wherever my chest appears.

I don't think the one hub town is really any different from any other Zelda game. Generally your adventures push you away from the town and there really is generally one town. However anytime there is two towns one town is pointless like Twilight Princess. Really I only found that Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask had the only two good towns in all of Zelda. Skyloft isn't bad and from what it looks like more side quests appear as time goes on.

I'm finding myself really interested in the surface, which I guess is Hyrule. The areas are interesting to explore, however every time they introduce I new species all I can think is that over time they get wiped out. The third area thus far has been my favorite due to the way it plays out so far. I'm just wondering what other areas there are and just how many people live down there, the opening made it seem like no one did at all.

The story is interesting, it was nice to see a more lengthy opening aside from just being thrown into your first temple. I'm also liking how the boss battles have played out in the temples and the way the temples are working out in general. It hasn't been go into the temple and collect the object and fight the boss that is there for some reason. The story has also been interesting and it's keeping me involved.

I like the Wii Motion+ controls in general, however it did take some getting used too. The only thing that has annoyed me with them are those damn Quadro Baba since I'm too impatient to wait and just choose a direction and keep attacking till it works. Honestly I've been flailing randomly too much for some battles.

Sword Beam returns? Yay. Even if it has charge up it helped me kill those stupid birds in the forest area.

Picking up bomb flowers and putting them in your bomb bag is an awesome idea and I love it. Took me a while to get used to the rolling of bombs though.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Destiny_Gundam

Mark064 wrote:I wish Nintendo would stop giving you the slingshot as it always becomes useless so quickly.
I think it's a new record in this game because it's practically useless right from the get go since it doesn't kill things, only stuns them.
Mark064 wrote:Breakable shields is an interesting choice but I can't really complain, once again it's just one of those things that just make sense.
But not when it breaks after 2 or three hits! Seriously, I had to do the entire first dungeon without a sheild because the damn thing broke almost immediately. Now I pretty much don't block at all and just run away from Octorocks.
Mark064 wrote:Picking up bomb flowers and putting them in your bomb bag is an awesome idea and I love it. Took me a while to get used to the rolling of bombs though.
Yes, I loved that too. Though timing bombs now is harder since your bombs won't ignite until you throw/place them. I've had problems with rolling too, since even when I pointed the Wiimote to the ground it wouldn't activate.
Dean_the_Young

I've found myself enjoying it. After growing to more survivor-ish RPGs like Fallout, where limited item inventory causes you to balance things, I found myself enjoying the item system a lot more. Core items give you a small number of ammo, but carrying more of what is the balance question. Crafting can also make things funner.

Health (and shield) limits makes it funner for me. For the first time, I've actually had to go out of dungeon to get more supplies to complete a dungeon... which is hardly a novel idea for games, but new to Zelda where it used to be that you could restock all your items by cutting re-spawning grass and pots.

Shield health hasn't limited me much, since I so rare remember to use it: it slows me down to bring it up, and the 'bounce-back' affect doesn't lose shield health.

But expanding the crafting/economy segment of the game really is a good take. Twilight Princess had something like it (new items of value coming up at about the rate you got new ruppes), but having more than you can afford from the start, and not having the broken economy of the OoT or MM, makes it feel like more of a decision to me. Buying potions is actually desirable!

Story-wise, the only real failing I've felt is the birds. Or the lack of birds. They seemed like they were supposed to be major parts of the game... but they're really just your boat. Only this sky-boat doesn't talk or have personality.

Still, lots of little things make the story fun. The re-occuring boss aspect (or rather, bosses who aren't just there because) and the more integrated storyline helps ties the dungeons and locations into the story itself. Which is nice.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Destiny_Gundam

I could do without those Silent World trials, but at the same time the intensity of them reminds me of the great atmosphere Majora's Mask had.
Destiny_Gundam

Beat it. In the end it was pretty meh by Zelda standards. It's a good game for sure, but it'll hardly go on my most memorable Zelda games list. I did get pissed off a lot, though. Sometimes the controls would act stupid and screw me over.

I love my Beetle, though.
Spoiler
Plot wise, it's got some typical timey-wimey plot hole stuff going on (you kill the thing in the present, but then go back to the past and kill it there, so it shouldn't have been in the present for you to kill).

Of course the big thing was that this was the starting point of the Zelda saga. The big bad (who looks more like Akuma from Street Fighter than Ganondorf) curses Link and says that Link's future incarnations will be forever hounded by his incarnations, thus confirming multiple generations of Links and why they're always the chosen hero. A fine explanation.

I was disappointed with how they handled the creation of the Master Sword, though. You just upgrade the Goddess Sword and are told "It's now the Master Sword!" I would have liked it to be treated with some more importance, maybe like "The Goddess Sword has changed. I think we should christen it with a new name. How about the Master Sword?"
Aki

I wish the game didn't make use of the Wiimote. I love Zelda games, but waving the controller around is not my idea of playing such a beloved series.