Getting a Playstation Network account: is it a good idea?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Siroh32

Getting a Playstation Network account: is it a good idea?

I've recently got myself a Playstation 3, and am trying out the system. I had thoughts about getting a PSN account; likely one for when Gundam Extreme Vs. comes out just incase there will be DLC for it, but at least a state-side one. However, I understand there's been a whole fiasco about a network breach and credit info and what not, and I skimmed through the Wiki article on it.

But I think I'd be better informed by other people. is it a good idea to sign up for a PSN account and use cards for it to get DLC for games? Or should I just forget it and likely just enjoy an offline experience (even though I generally love to play games online and occasionally do so)? *shrug*
2NA Fish

Re: Getting a Playstation Network account: is it a good idea

It's as easy as creating an extra user account on your PS3, giving an e-mail address and setting the Region to Japan. You don't have to put money into it until you feel like it. If you're worried, just get a free e-mail address and enter fake details.

I've had a Japanese PSN account since I got my PS3, but I only started using it when I got my Gundam Musou 3 DLC early this year.

After the hacking fiasco, I still haven't had any of my PSN points stolen, and don't know anyone who has.
Shinigam_Newtype

I would also highly suggest making an account, don't let one incident deter you. What happened to PSN was unfortunate but you should remember that it could virtually happen to any site you use. Like 2NA says; if you're really worried, use fake details and use PSN cards to purchase the goods.
If you want Gundam Extreme VS DLC, you'll probably need to make a Japanede account too, since I don't think that game will be released outside of the region.
2NA Fish wrote:It's as easy as creating an extra user account on your PS3, giving an e-mail address and setting the Region to Japan. You don't have to put money into it until you feel like it. If you're worried, just get a free e-mail address and enter fake details.

I've had a Japanese PSN account since I got my PS3, but I only started using it when I got my Gundam Musou 3 DLC early this year.

After the hacking fiasco, I still haven't had any of my PSN points stolen, and don't know
anyone who has.

Sorry if assuming incorrectly, but how did you get Japanese DLC to work with the game from another region?
Also, how do you add funds to an account for a different region? I can't use my Visa card on the JP store.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
2NA Fish

I have the Japanese version of Gundam Musou 3, so I had no choice but to use the Japanese PSN for the DLC.

You can't add funds to a Japanese PSN account using credit cards, because they require your card to be registered with a Japanese address. The only way I know of is to buy Japanese PSN gift cards from eBay, Play-Asia etc, which is how I got my PSN points for my Japanese account.
AmuroNT1

The whole thing about the network breach was that a couple of hackers, apparently mad about Sony removing the Other OS feature, decided to hack the PSN in revenge. It then came to light that Sony had really poor network security. Now that the issue's been sorted out, they've been working to improve security, but if it's still a concern then I would advise you to not enter your CC info and to just use the points cards you can buy in any electronics store. Personally, they never got my card info, but I removed it all the same.

Shinigam_Newtype: Region locking isn't an issue for PS3. While it CAN be instituted in PS3 games, so far nobody has. Besides that, Bluray has a different regional setup than DVDs: A is the Americas and several Southeast Asian countries including Japan; Region B is Africa, Australia, New Zealand and most of Europe and the Middle East; Region C is most of Asia including China and Russia. As 2NA_Fish mentioned, the main concern is accessing foreign PSN and getting valid points.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
AceWhatever

- The hacking incident is over and done with. You can safely create a PSN account.

- Regarding the use of a credit card. You can only use a credit card with a billing address that matches the region of the PSN account. Meaning only American cards will work on American PSN and so on. To circumvent this, purchase equivalent region PSN point cards from online retailers or your local shops. Some retailers like Play-Asia can mail you the code instantly once you buy it instead of having to wait for them to send the physical card.

- While the PS3 will play PS3 games of any region, DLC is region locked and will only work with games from the same region.

- Going by the above, you'll need at least one main account (US or UK depending on where you live and the game regions your retailers stock) and a Japanese one for import games.