Gundam Extreme Vs coming on PS3

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
AmuroNT1

Re: Gundam Extreme Vs coming on PS3

RX-93v2_Hi-Nu wrote:If that was Delta Plus I saw I think I am definitely going to import, the game looks awfully klunky though and reminds me so much of those terrible PS2 SEED games that I abhor, hopefully it plays those games should have played or better...
You're the first person I've ever seen who didn't like the Seed Vs games. Unless you were talking about Never-Ending Tomorrow, which is completely different (and yes, sucked).
Seraphic wrote:Can someone explain why Deathscythe Hell has a move where it throws exploding Serpents at people? It does it by hand, too, doesn't it?
Well, Taurus and it throws with the scythe, but still. The only reason I can give is because they wanted to give it another move, and they couldn't just hand it a random weapon. This is also presumably the reason its primary ranged attack is a slash wave.
Seraphic wrote:Is there anything that provides a breakdown of what offline modes are available for the game? I felt that NP didn't have a lot of replay value because most of the units all felt the same (beam rifle and saber, anyone?) and the challenge mode sucked (mostly because it punished melee units severely).
As far as I know, the offline modes for ExVs include Arcade, Versus, and Trial Mission.

And really, the whole rifle/saber thing wasn't a limitation of the game so much as the fact that most "hero Gundams" are designed that way. They did try to get a little more varied when they could, such as having the Alex use its arm Gatlings as its primary. I still wish they would give the Double X some of its model-exclusive bonus weapons rather than just giving it the saber throw and calling it a day.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

*scratches head...squints...**

Tauruses? Really?? And with the scythe? Man, we really need some better quality footage of that happening. =/

Yeah, I know it's not the game's fault that everybody uses rifles and sabers, but it's still a problem that we have to deal with nonetheless. I was very upset that they gave the Ez8 a beam rifle even though I think it never used one in the OVA and only used a machinegun. Gundam needs more machineguns. Now, if only the machineguns in the game didn't suck so much. (Such low bullet velocity!!)

Back in NP, I was really looking forward to using the Stamen because it used dual bazookas instead of the standard beam rifle, but seriously that unit's weapons and combos really sucked, and apparently it was dropped for ExVS. It'd be nice if it could use use its saber with its winch arm like in Gunpla Builders.

Also, is it just me, or do too many of the melee sets include that mid-air juggle that uses fly-by slashes? You know, like what Exia does in the show.

(I was also really confused when the F-91 didn't create after-images when it activated its radiators.)

I'm not really sure why I'm so unhappy with all this stuff. I'm probably just picky, but yeah, the game does look nice. I just wish there was more to do in it. It's basically a fighting game as it is, and I get bored of those pretty fast.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
RX-93v2_Hi-Nu

AmuroNT1 wrote: You're the first person I've ever seen who didn't like the Seed Vs games. Unless you were talking about Never-Ending Tomorrow, which is completely different (and yes, sucked).
It was a reference to NET, it looks exactly like NET, and as much as I loved what NET attempted to do it was a nightmare to play and at times impossible to enjoy because of the horrible programming and design. I never got my hands on the Seed Vs games because I couldn't shell out the cash for a JPN Region PS2 but they looked awesome. I also believe DWG3 has spoiled me eternally with cell shading so it makes it hard to visually appreciate the visuals for Extreme Vs..

Still, I want to import it in place of ACE which I have been skeptical about due to what I've read about the layout of the controls making the game difficult to play.
AmuroNT1

Oh, don't worry, Extreme Vs is absolutely NOTHING like Never-Ending Tomorrow. NET is basically a stripped-down version of the same engine they've been using for years (the PS1 Zeta and CCA game, Journey to Jaburo, Encounters in Space, Lost War Chronicles, etc etc). ExVs is a major improvement to the Gundam Vs engine seen in games like Federation vs. Zeon, sped up and modified to make melee actually useful. If you want to get an idea of the gameplay, just YouTube "ExVs" or look up the user fannel13sazaby and you'll find countless gameplay vids.

As for ACE, I would recommend going for the PS2 installments, specifically 2 and 3. ACE:R completely changed the control system for the worse; it's rather telling when my girlfriend, who isn't much of a gamer herself, could tell that I was struggling with the controls when I showed her the game last year. And of course, this isn't even getting into the weak plot or the questionable cast choices.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

domino

It's kinda clear that most of the critical comments here so far are from persons that haven't watched the gameplay videos (there are hundreds) on youtube or elsewhere. Or, you guys just don't like fighting games.
I loved the SEED Vs games and am sure I'll love this.
Seraphic wrote:(I was also really confused when the F-91 didn't create after-images when it activated its radiators.)
Hmmm.....watch this video at 1:02 and you'll see that it does indeed leave after-images http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVx1GdstUT4. Remember that F-91's after-images have never been like Destiny's which gives a constant stream of after-images.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

domino wrote:Hmmm.....watch this video at 1:02 and you'll see that it does indeed leave after-images http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVx1GdstUT4. Remember that F-91's after-images have never been like Destiny's which gives a constant stream of after-images.
Ah, I see what happened. The after-images do appear. It's just that f-91's boost distance is so far that the images often go off screen before you can recognize them.

And for anyone else having doubts about the game, I also agree that watching gameplay is the best way to figure if you'll like it for not. I've found this channel particularly helpful: http://www.youtube.com/user/Snarfx0r It's pretty organized and has English titles for the most part. The commentary that Snarf provides is also nice to get some quick unit analysis.

I was really interested in UC Climax back in the day because it had such a beautiful opening sequence (it still gives me chills to this day), but of course it turned into another rehash of the same old Gundam game engine.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
RX-93v2_Hi-Nu

I've seen all the gameplay videos available. Long before I joined this thread's discussion. Watching videos and actually playing the game are 2 different things. In fact, my original response was out of the joy of seeing the Delta Plus in a youtube video. For something that is "so clear", it has never been more wrong. I've been following this game since I heard about it at Gamefaqs in May.

That said, AmuroNT1's feedback is far more credible than any video I could watch or any references to past games you can make because he actually bothered to understand the reasons behind my skepticism. The funniest part is that he specifically mentioned NET as if he knew that was the odd ball out in the Gundam series. He even confirmed that the rumors about ACE:R control layout being a nightmare. All the more reason to be skeptical for a first time importer.

I feel better knowing that this won't be NET 2.0 on the PS3. There is nothing worse than playing NET again, on the PS3. This game does look like a lot of fun. The best part is that it will be released at the end of this semester so I'll have a few weeks to play before I go back to school late January.
AmuroNT1

Well, TBQH I haven't played Never-Ending Tomorrow myself. I've just heard lots of horror stories from friends, and the subject came up pretty recently (how's that for a coincidence?).

ACE:R, though, I do own. I'm a huge fan of the ACE series, and I ended up feeling pretty cheated by R. If you want to know all my gripes...
-The weapons are linked to a tension meter which builds as you attack, take damage, etc. This means the ONLY weapons you can use without tension are your basic gun, melee, and shield (yes, this means weak junk like the Knightmares' slash harkens costs Tension). On top of that, the only control method you get is several "pages" each with three different weapons, which can get rather annoying to cycle through. One of the nice things about past games was the ability to choose between "Shift" (L1 works like the Shift key, changing the function of the face and R buttons) and "Select" (choose main weapon from a list like ZOE); here, you can ONLY use their page system.
-Melee is an absolute joke; to pull alternate melee moves you have to do things like tapping down-up-Triangle, or delaying your pressing the Triangle button, or other similar things. Compare to older games, where you pulled alternate combos just by pressing Circle in place of Triangle; you didn't get as much variety, but it WORKED. Here you pretty much just flail with the D-Pad and pray.
-The boost dash system in 2 and 3 was fine, but they removed it in favor of a much clunkier system whose only "improvement" is a Hyper Boost for high-speed, zero-maneuverability travel (something that filtered into ACE Portable, which brought back 2/3's control system).
-The plot is actually not bad, but the execution was terrible. Simply put, a black hole appears in each anime's "dimension" and teleports them to a new world. This pretty well kills one of the central pillars of the Super Robot Wars franchise, the interaction between different anime characters, by limiting each series to MAYBE eight or nine named characters apiece (hero AND villain). It also means that you fight practically nothing but the BP Originals, which are frankly pretty bland and uninteresting. They spent so much time fixating on the Totally-Not-Arms-Forts that the grunts suffer for it. On the plot front, Frontier is the only series that gets any kind of closure; everyone else just gets sent home to resolve their plots off-screen.
-Unlockables are a joke. They said they wanted to cut down on the giant cast lists of past games. Well, they did...and yet they didn't. While the number of CHARACTERS is reduced, we still get a healthy number of mecha. The problem is that the lists are, in a word, questionable. Several of the secrets are downgrades, including Sosuke's M9, the original Lancelot, and Crossbone X1, despite the fact that some of the enemy mecha that show up (like the Shen-Hu) would have been much better choices. Just about the only series which doesn't get screwed is Frontier, which gets all of Skull Squadron, Klan Klang, and even Canaria and her Koenig Monster.
In short, I wouldn't recommend R even IF imported Playstation 3 games didn't cost you your firstborn. I was lured in because the game has several shows I like, but to be perfectly honest I only got about five stages in before I got frustrated with it and just stopped playing. Haven't picked it up since, except to show my girlfriend last year (as mentioned last post) and more recently because one of my brother's friends was curious, and he was put off after playing just the intro level for King Gainer. So yeah, if you really want an ACE game, get 2 (preferably the Special Vocal Version, since it fixes some of the bugs from the first version) or 3.

domino

RX-93v2_Hi-Nu wrote: I never got my hands on the Seed Vs games because I couldn't shell out the cash for a JPN Region PS2 but they looked awesome
Sorry but I find it hard to understand your criticism when you haven't even played the latest SEED vs and only judge it by a game like NET which is more than 5 years old.

Perhaps you should wait until everyone else is enjoying it before trying it?

By the way, watch some of the PS3 preview gameplay and you'll get an idea of the button layout. It's hardly horrible if you've played Armoured Core.
2NA Fish

Just a note to people who haven't played the previous VS games. When you see people do { Beam rifle > Dash > Beam rifle > Dash > Beam rifle }, you have to double tap the jump button for each dash, so that simple 3-hit combo is actually 7 button presses. It does require some fast hands, which may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Also, Extreme VS uses cel-shading as well. It's very subtle, but if you look closely at the higher res screenshots, you can see it. All units have black outlines.
domino

Yup!

A quick hand is ESSENTIAL in the VS games. Makes me even more impressed with Gundam pilots who are able to defend and evade every attack that comes their way. That's next to impossible in the VS games.
AmuroNT1

domino wrote:Sorry but I find it hard to understand your criticism when you haven't even played the latest SEED vs and only judge it by a game like NET which is more than 5 years old.

Perhaps you should wait until everyone else is enjoying it before trying it?
Let's be fair, he was probably just comparing the game to the next closest thing he'd actually experienced. That's not exactly a rare thing, whether it comes to games or anime or whatever. Either way, it's been established that ExVs is nothing like NET at all, and everything's cool.

Mu La Flaga

AmuroNT1 wrote:Oh, don't worry, Extreme Vs is absolutely NOTHING like Never-Ending Tomorrow. NET is basically a stripped-down version of the same engine they've been using for years (the PS1 Zeta and CCA game, Journey to Jaburo, Encounters in Space, Lost War Chronicles, etc etc). ExVs is a major improvement to the Gundam Vs engine seen in games like Federation vs. Zeon, sped up and modified to make melee actually useful. If you want to get an idea of the gameplay, just YouTube "ExVs" or look up the user fannel13sazaby and you'll find countless gameplay vids.

As for ACE, I would recommend going for the PS2 installments, specifically 2 and 3. ACE:R completely changed the control system for the worse; it's rather telling when my girlfriend, who isn't much of a gamer herself, could tell that I was struggling with the controls when I showed her the game last year. And of course, this isn't even getting into the weak plot or the questionable cast choices.
I would also like to add on top of that, the SEED vs games was where the gameplay got a tweak noticably, so they would be a small league above those NET games easily.

I mean I loved the changes they made, like better movement, easier to sometimes dodge or do some things and the Heads up display being better ect.

It just all added up.

Gundam vs Zeta Gundam sometimes could be so clunky with some units...
AmuroNT1

Mu La Flaga wrote:I mean I loved the changes they made, like better movement, easier to sometimes dodge or do some things and the Heads up display being better ect.
Not to mention melee actually being worth a damn...

domino

My major concern with this game is the online gameplay. While I think that it's an AMAZING feature to put in, I wonder how it'll deal with lagging and zoning players according to geographical location.
Mu La Flaga

AmuroNT1 wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:I mean I loved the changes they made, like better movement, easier to sometimes dodge or do some things and the Heads up display being better ect.
Not to mention melee actually being worth a damn...
That too, since some units in the older games were just so slow doing melee or you had to draw out your weapon and be 1-1 1/2 second delay.

So yeah...
2NA Fish

Interestingly, I found the clunkiness of Feds vs Zeon and AEUG vs Titans added to the feel of piloting these huge unwieldly robots. Melee was good in those games too, just very very high risk.
I also kinda liked the weapon drawing animations too. It made things annoying, but it meant you had to be ready to go into melee in advance, making the game just that tad more tactical.

After playing OMNI vs ZAFT though, you just can't go back to that, and that's why GvG got a lot of flak when it first released. GvG brought back the clunky feel to a certain extent.
Kratos

Any word if there's local multiplayer too? The online is cool, but it would also be neat to play against friends in the same room.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
AmuroNT1

There is "couch versus", but I don't think you can do it online (as in, two people in one room against online opponents).

RX-93v2_Hi-Nu

^ I think he means, can I beat up on my friend when comes over to the crib (i.e. Battle Assault style).