Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Soul Bro Ryu

Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Guess it's no surprise that I'd be starting this thread. Just was trying to gauge the crowd here and see who's picking it up on day uno (Tuesday - Feb. 15th, 2011) and arrange some meet-ups amongst the regulars here at Mechatalk.net when it drops.

For those who don't know, the crossover sequel that has been a decade coming will be at large in a few weeks and here's the up-to date roster for which characters will be playable in it:

Marvel Comics
- Captain America
- Deadpool
- Doctor Doom - Gameplay Intro Video
- Dormammu - Gameplay Intro Video
- Hulk
- Iron Man
- Magneto - Gameplay Intro Video
- M.O.D.O.K. - Gameplay Intro Video
- Phoenix - Gameplay Intro Video
- Sentinel - Gameplay Intro Video
- She-Hulk - Gameplay Intro Video
- Spider-Man - Gameplay Intro Video
- Storm - Gameplay Intro Video
- Super-Skrull - Gameplay Intro Video
- Taskmaster - Gameplay Intro Video
- Thor - Gameplay Intro Video
- Wolverine
- X-23 - Gameplay Intro Video

Capcom
- Akuma - Gameplay Intro Video
- Albert Wesker - Gameplay Intro Video
- Amaterasu - Gameplay Intro Video
- Arthur - Gameplay Intro Video
- Chris Redfield
- Chun-Li Xiang - Gameplay Intro Video
- Crimson Viper - Gameplay Intro Video
- Dante
- Felicia
- Hsien-Ko - Gameplay Intro Video
- Mike Haggar - Gameplay Intro Video
- Morrigan Aensland
- Nathan Spencer - Gameplay Intro Video
- Ryu
- Trish - Gameplay Intro Video
- Tron Bonne - Gameplay Intro Video
- Viewtiful Joe - Gameplay Intro Video
- Zero - Gameplay Intro Video

(Character Select Screen Here)

Plus Marvel's Shuma-Gorath & Jill Valentine from "Resident Evil 5" are coming as DLC a month or so after the game launches as well as other characters soon to be announced. The final boss is none other than -
Spoiler
- and there was video of it leaked to YouTube but Capcom had it quickly taken down. The climactic battle is totally insane, though, and I can't wait to try it in a few weeks.

Capcom has been releasing the character musical themes after reveals of each character in the roster also. For those looking to collect, Eventhubs.com has all of them (except for Hsien-Ko & Sentinel but they're coming soon) here:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/jan/ ... er-themes/

Looking forward to playing this with you cats online, and although I'll be getting it initially for XBox 360, when I get it for PS3, I'll make sure to mention it here too. If any more news drops for MvC3 in the coming weeks, I'll be sure to update this thread with it!

UPDATES!
- 2-1-11:
* Top Tier Gaming has come upon a review copy version of the game. For an extended preview of MvC3 check out the recorded stream here:
http://www.justin.tv/toptiergaming/b/27 ... .justin.tv

- 2-2-11:
* First images of Jill Valentine and Shuma-Gorath in MvC3:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/feb/ ... rath-mvc3/
* Also, there's some bad news - in the endless match lobbies, there "initially" will be no way to watch matches while you wait. Saving and watching replays will also not be available initially. Looks like they'll probably add it once they decide to do an update for the game, but that's BS, if you ask me. These are common sense features that should have been implemented before release. For more details: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/feb/ ... ature-now/

- 2-3-11:
* A new mode called "Shadow Mode" was revealed today, where you can fight AI based on the gameplay of the folks that worked on the game. Sound intriguing, but not as much as news on getting some bloody Spec mode in the game. Details below:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/feb/ ... adow-mode/
* Live stream of the CES 2011 Build of MvC3 is live tonight @ 8 pm EST at 1up.com's UStream channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/1up-game- ... ium=389750

- 2-4-11
* Music themes for Sentinel & Hsien-Ko are finally up! Peep the link for those and other character themes:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/feb/ ... -3-themes/
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Awesome line up.
I could hope for Megaman or Megaman X and War Machine for DLC just to vouch for them.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

You're getting it for xbox first, Soul Bro? That's kinda strange, because I thought ps3 was supposed to be the platform for fighters.

I probably can't get it right away, but my friend will be getting it at launch and I'll be at his place that weekend. So far it looks like Ammie, Dante, and x23 will be my team, but as you know I've yet to try anybody.

I was a real fan of Samson and Little Red back in the old days of me spamming buttons at the arcade, but you know what happened there.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Soul Bro Ryu

Mu La Flaga wrote:Awesome line up.
I could hope for Megaman or Megaman X and War Machine for DLC just to vouch for them.
Got my fingers crossed for the Blue Bomber also, especially after seeing the ideas this one DeviantArtist had for his moveset (not to mention other Mega Man characters).

I had an idea for him too, based on what Capcom is already doing for Spider-man. For Spidey and other Marvel characters, instead of just giving him pallette swaps, the developers gave Peter his other outfits over the years (the Symbiotic suit, the Iron-Spider costume, and some new one) as alternate picks. I thought that would be a great idea for Mega Man as well, allowing the player to choose between his Original incarnation or his X, Legends or Battle Network versions. It wouls take a bit more work and be nothing but fan service, but for a character that is practically your company mascot, I think her deserves the royal treatment.

With the public outcry for him, I've got a feeling that he'll be announced as a DLC character or added when the inevitable "Arcade Edition" releases a year from now. Here's hoping that happens.
Seraphic wrote:You're getting it for xbox first, Soul Bro? That's kinda strange, because I thought ps3 was supposed to be the platform for fighters.
When it comes to comparing the two, it's a Coke/Pepsi situation. People will say that response time is different or slower on one system vs the other ("The frame data is lagging on the 'insert system here'), but I just think people get used to whatever version they initially play. When it comes to default controllers, I'd rather play with the PS3s stock pad over the 360 due to the crappy digital input MS designed. However I've got sticks and fightpads on both systems so stock controllers don't matter much to me.

The only reason I'm getting it on the 360 first is due to all the folks I've been fighting against over the years on it vs. the few months of friends I've acquired on the PS3. Don't worry, about the time you'll be getting MvC3 on the PS3, I'll be picking up a used on from Amazon for a lower price. I'll see you there ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
Mu La Flaga

That guy has come up with some crazy awesome stuff, he should present them to Capcom.
He really should.
iKhaotic

Wow, that Deviant Art guy is genius. Those movesets in theory might actually work if implemented in the game! Capcom needs to work on getting this guy an internship.

As for MvC3, I missed my chance on pre-ordering the limited edition from Gamestop (they ran out apparently since it's been removed from their site), I'll probably check a major store like Best Buy to see if they have extras and get it there. If not I'll settle for the regular edition, but I'll wait a week or two and eventually a used copy will pop up at Gamestop, then I'll use my discount card and get 10% off of the used price, so roughly $10 less for a practically new game 8) Yes I am excited for it and can't wait to get it, but waiting a week or so after release to save $10 won't kill me lol.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Soul Bro Ryu

Mu La Flaga wrote:That guy has come up with some crazy awesome stuff, he should present them to Capcom.
He really should.
iKhaotic wrote:Wow, that Deviant Art guy is genius. Those movesets in theory might actually work if implemented in the game! Capcom needs to work on getting this guy an internship.
That artist seems to have a love for everything Mega Man. When those movelists premiered on his DA page, they got a lot of love from folks on Capcom-Unity and many fighting game related websites. I'm certain Capcom noticed and I hope that this guy has a future in video game design (if that what he wishes to pursue).
iKhaotic wrote:As for MvC3, I missed my chance on pre-ordering the limited edition from Gamestop (they ran out apparently since it's been removed from their site), I'll probably check a major store like Best Buy to see if they have extras and get it there. If not I'll settle for the regular edition, but I'll wait a week or two and eventually a used copy will pop up at Gamestop, then I'll use my discount card and get 10% off of the used price, so roughly $10 less for a practically new game 8) Yes I am excited for it and can't wait to get it, but waiting a week or so after release to save $10 won't kill me lol.
Other than missing out on downloading Jill and Shuma-Gorath for a discount (since as far as I'm concerned when they are released, they'll technically be "free", but being that I'm paying $10 more for special edition, part of that cost goes to them) I'll be spending less than what Capcom will charge for them, you're not missing much. Plus they won't be available until after a month from the game's debut, so despite standard or special release, we'll all be on the same page with we get MvC3. Best Buy, Wal-Mart and other outlets should have plenty of copies to get on day one. Hope it's not too much trouble to get a copy after release ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
iKhaotic

Soul Bro Ryu wrote: Other than missing out on downloading Jill and Shuma-Gorath for a discount (since as far as I'm concerned when they are released, they'll technically be "free", but being that I'm paying $10 more for special edition, part of that cost goes to them) I'll be spending less than what Capcom will charge for them, you're not missing much. Plus they won't be available until after a month from the game's debut, so despite standard or special release, we'll all be on the same page with we get MvC3. Best Buy, Wal-Mart and other outlets should have plenty of copies to get on day one. Hope it's not too much trouble to get a copy after release ^_^
Heh, I'm fine with missing out on Jill and Shuma, I never planned to touch those two anyways. I already have my mains and subs thought of already lol. When I mentioned Best Buy though, I meant that I'm hoping they'll have a few extra copies of the limited edition since Gamestop is no longer takin pre-orders on those. From past experience, big stores like Best Buy, Target, and Wal-Mart order extras of limited editions, so if I'm lucky, I can find one and get it. If not, I'm gonna wait for a used copy of the regular edition at Gamestop which should be $54.99 + my Rewards card which gives me 10% off used games so that's another ~$5 off which brings it to roughly $49.99 plus the 6.5% sales tax here where I live :)

That is, IF someone is crazy enough to trade the game in within a week of its release. If I don't find a used copy within a week or two, I'll just find the next best deal. Target tends to have $5-$10 off new release games in their Sunday ads so I'll hope for a special there too lol.
1-4-4

I want to play as Zero! I was very into X4 when it came out.

But... Ryuenjin but no Hyoretsuzan? The diving spike-move seems just as central to Zero's game as the rising flame-sword, IMO...

I'd love to see X make the cut in the future as well - though it seems unlikely to me.

Don't know if I'll be getting MvC3 though. I have to be rather selective about what games I buy these days.
iKhaotic

As a person who enjoys fighting games, I felt this game was pretty dissapointing. It's been WAY too simpified and moves have been toned down to make it more accesible to new players. If you know the basic combo-to-launcher-to-air-combo button input format, then you can practically pick up any character and play above average with them. The characters aren't balanced at all, some characters got special treatment in terms of combos and reach, while others gets the shaft completely lol.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not here to complain or bash the game. It's a pretty fun game and is enjoyable, but I can't consider it a real fighter nor take it too seriously. It feels more along the lines of a party fighter like Super Smash Bros Brawl or Power Stone, not in the same league as Street Fighter, Tekken, or Blazblue. There's a sense of complexity in the game, but nothing that fighting game purists would spend hours on hours of their time studying to master because of how quick/easy it can possibly be to learn the moves once you see/do it a few times.

I enjoy playing it, but the game will lose it's appeal quick once everyone picks it up and learns to do the majority of the combos IMO.
1-4-4

So, basically... It's a "versus" game. :)
iKhaotic

1-4-4 wrote:So, basically... It's a "versus" game. :)
Not really lol. Look at Capcom vs. SNK 2, that game is nowhere near easy to pick up and takes a while to master. It's pretty in depth and has many mechanics that makes it complex.
1-4-4

iKhaotic wrote:
1-4-4 wrote:So, basically... It's a "versus" game. :)
Not really lol. Look at Capcom vs. SNK 2
Capcom vs. SNK is the exception. It has "versus" in the title but otherwise none of the elements that define all the other "versus" games.

The other "versus" games are generally in the same vein as "X-Men vs Street Fighter" - tag-team action and Capcom characters paired with the gameplay style of "Marvel Super Heroes" and "Children of the Atom"... And, yes, a little bit more emphasis on button-mashing than you'd see in a regular Street Fighter game.
erkael

wow this one, i've play since marvel super heroes until marvel vs capcom 2, too bad i can't play this one. i don't have much time, cuz i need work more lot then before :?
erkael

is it true there is some char that downloadable?
iKhaotic

erkael wrote:is it true there is some char that downloadable?
Yes, Jill Valentine and Shuma Gorath are the current 2 available DLC. With more on the way.
prince_of_zeon

No Ken Masters??? RAGE!
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"