Super Robot Wars Z 2

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Mark064

Re: Super Robot Wars Z 2

Yeah of course, but the difference with these sequel games is you generally have to write the people out and some of them are just harder to write out then others. If you remove let's say Baldios, where does it go? It's not going back to where it came from! Most of the pilots aren't just gonna quit fighting unless they have a reason too, have somewhere else to go, or some other abnormal effects.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Mu La Flaga

Well reality warping is one way.
But getting them to retire might be a bit harder if the reality is so different then it used to be.
Unlike the Alpha series where the F91 lot retired.
Mark064

Yeah I'm assuming warping reality is what changed Mazinger Z to Shin Mazinger Z and Getter Robo to Shin Getter Robo. But since these are changes and not outright removals it's a different subject all together.

The problem with retirement is that Super Robot Wars games take their subject material from animes and what not. So with the F91 people disappearing at the end of Alpha and returning to be part of Crossbone Gundam then retiring is well basically what happened in the source material. The same can be said what happened to Duke Freed and Grendizer following the events of the Z Bonus disc, though from what I recall he did return to Freed at the end of Z anyways but just came back to visit for the bonus disc.

That's also why the majority of series who disappeared in the course of the Alpha timeline either returned in later games, came from an alternate timeline and thus didn't exist in the current one, or followed the course of their anime and left at the end of the game with their anime's story. There are only really two exceptions that come to mind to this; Braiger who I guess we can say just never got hired again and Giant Robo. And apparently the reason Giant Robo never returned is because the creator didn't like the way it was handled in Alpha which is far from a normal situation.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
AmuroNT1

Well, in the case of Z and Z2, it's not that the old Mazinger and Getter "changed" into the modern ones, but rather the universe in which Z2 takes place has the newer ones instead. Apparently this game establishes that you can't have more than one of any given person in the same universe, which is why the Mazinger, Getter, and Eureka 7 casts don't come along with the rest of ZEUTH.

As for Giant Robo, I was given to understand that BP wanted to include it in Alpha 3 and actually give it a real conclusion, but Yokoyama's death caused his estate to ramp up the licensing fee for his work so they had to abandon their original plans. As far as I know the only person to openly express dissatisfaction with Super Robot Wars (and to actually be recorded as having done so, making it truth rather than rumor) is Mitsuo Fukuda.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Mu La Flaga

I don't think anyone listens to his opinions too much considering how well Destiny did.
Well in Japan it did well, but elsewhere it's just...

Well we've been over that before anyway.

On a small note at least as far as Grendizer is concerned his story was finished with anyway.
But that makes sense why not all of the other members of ZEUTH hopped over.

On a side note and just curious Amuro did you get this game as well like everyone else or not? :P

You have interest in this one, but I don't know if you've had too many SRW adventures.
yazi88

Mu La Flaga wrote: On a side note and just curious Amuro did you get this game as well like everyone else or not? :P

You have interest in this one, but I don't know if you've had too many SRW adventures.
Dude, Z2 has Code Geass in it, all the more reason for him to have or be willing to get it, if he owns a PSP. Hell, it's one of my biggest reasons for getting it. Along with VOTOMS of course.
AmuroNT1

Actually, when it comes to SRW I'm more of a spectator than a participant - I'm not all that good at strategy games. Not to mention at the moment I'm saving my money for something big, so I haven't bought anything really expensive like a new game in a little while now.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

yazi88

AmuroNT1 wrote:Actually, when it comes to SRW I'm more of a spectator than a participant - I'm not all that good at strategy games. Not to mention at the moment I'm saving my money for something big, so I haven't bought anything really expensive like a new game in a little while now.
Its still cool that you keep up with info on the series in all with all the spectacular mayhem involved with the franchise in general. Let alone for a series of games you don't play.
Mu La Flaga

It's not much of a surprirse why either considering the twists the storylines pull sometimes for that matter.
Kuruni

Mu La Flaga wrote:I don't think anyone listens to his opinions too much considering how well Destiny did.
Isn't that just balance how Kenichi Suzumura (Shinn Asuka) express how he like Shinn's role in SRW Z more :mrgreen: (which I totally agree, especially in ZEUTH route).

I wonder what part make Fukuda upset though, the fact that SRW Z Kira admit to Shinn that he isn't omnipotent and thus capable of making mistake? Or how the original faceless enemy in SRW L almost single handly beat Kira while mocking him how he's so predictable (while Strike Freedom is quite differrent from Freedom, Kira's fighting style remain the same) and only manage to turn the table because Shinn and Athrun's help out?
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mu La Flaga

Part of the whole problem is Kira is Fukuda's author avatar, simillar to how Lacus is for Morosawa.
I've read on ANN somewhere they have cosplayed as them as a couple also.

And yeah it balances out since in that way Shinn isn't like that, same could be said for Cagalli also anyway :P
AmuroNT1

Kuruni wrote:I wonder what part make Fukuda upset though, the fact that SRW Z Kira admit to Shinn that he isn't omnipotent and thus capable of making mistake? Or how the original faceless enemy in SRW L almost single handly beat Kira while mocking him how he's so predictable (while Strike Freedom is quite differrent from Freedom, Kira's fighting style remain the same) and only manage to turn the table because Shinn and Athrun's help out?
IIRC, all he said on his blog was that he didn't think it was right for a game to alter the plot and dialog of his show after it was over, and that he felt Z's alterations to Destiny were for the worse. Of course, this seems to be the exact opposite attitude most developers have towards SRW, as seen with Hideaki Anno fighting Gainax to get Eva included, the makers of Shin Mazinger inventing the Big Bang Punch specifically BECAUSE they wanted Mazinger to have a kickass MAP attack, the production of Prince of Darkness-era stuff for Gai Daigoji, etc etc.

Vent Noir

More story stuff from the SRW boards:
Spoiler
- Nia knows the song 'Aimo' from Frontier. Says Lord Genome used to sing it to her when she was younger. Possible tie between Spiral power/Vajra with the keyword "evolution"? Getter also related since the dialogue and scenario in the games almost seemingly pair these two up.
- Sumeragi seemingly has a very good impression of Zero (Geass) due to his strategic capabilities and the feeling is mutual. She unwittingly (or deliberately? You decide.) reveals to people that Zero is underage at a party by inviting him to drink with her and him absolutely refusing to do so.
- If you watch the end of Eureka 7 movie, where long-hair Eureka lost her memories and has the mentality of a child, they recover her memories by singing Aimo due to them singing that song at some party.
- Sheryl being awesome as usual by singing during one of the stages where they were being pressed hard despite her condition. (I think it was the stage wherein they just rescued both songstresses from that Vajra nest. Need I mention that it was Ribbons who abducted them at Grace's request?)
- Entire ZEXIS taking sides on the Frontier triangular. Oh, shipping.
- At the end of the game, OZ's field commander is Zechs, sub field commander is Quattro. I chuckled.
- So, in the end, OZ includes Amuro, Char, Kamille, Kira, Shinn, Athrun and Lunamaria. You sure you want to go against those odds, GW boys?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
DuelGundam2099

I don't suppose anyone wants to explain to me what alterations are done with VOTOMS (aside from the Earth setting). I also wonder if those helicopters at stage 22 are waroids from Dancouga Nova or if they're Banpresto Originals. While I'm at it I'm also watching God Mars and have to ask how far in the story do they go? Do they actually finish it or does it stop at a specific episode event (please just give the ep number).
AmuroNT1

Vent Noir wrote:- Sumeragi seemingly has a very good impression of Zero (Geass) due to his strategic capabilities and the feeling is mutual. She unwittingly (or deliberately? You decide.) reveals to people that Zero is underage at a party by inviting him to drink with her and him absolutely refusing to do so.
That strikes me as kind of a leap of logic, considering there are many people who ARE adults but still don't drink, even moreso when they're in the military because it impairs your mental faculties. Besides, even if Lelouch IS underage, it's only by a year, and I get the impression that if he wanted to drink, he would.

hitokirigarou

DuelGundam2099 wrote:I also wonder if those helicopters at stage 22 are waroids from Dancouga Nova or if they're Banpresto Originals.
I'm assuming you can't read katakana since when you highlight a unit, its name is shown. Does the helicopter look like the one in the link below? If so, then it's from Dancouga Nova. It's called a "heli waroid".

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8828/heliwaroid.jpg

These are the Banpresto Originals for Z2 Hakai-hen:
Brasta
Axio
Axio Scoat SP VR Maxima
Arietis
Emeraldan
Pearl Nail
Jigenjuu DAMON
Jigenjuu Bull DAMON
Jigenjuu Rhino DAMON
Jigenjuu Rhino DAMON MD
Jigenjuu Dino DAMON
Jigenjuu Levi DAMON
Great Axion
Gertilan
DuelGundam2099

Does the helicopter look like the one in the link below?
I'm afraid not, these copters don't have hidden machine gun claws under their legs or holes on their canopy while there is a 3-tube missile launcher on each side, a double barreled turret, and what seems to be a rocket on the back (?).

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3430/53967722.png
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6042/77270478.png

While I'm at it can I ask where you got that picture?

Edit: And it looks like I found out what the helicopter is:
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/votoms/atvotoms/ah-82.htm
(I REALLY need to find the original series)
hitokirigarou

DuelGundam2099 wrote:While I'm at it can I ask where you got that picture?
From the Aggressive Material File Side-B: Juusou Kikou Dancouga Nova book.
DuelGundam2099

Interesting. I don't suppose that book comes with all the names of the waroids, genocidrons, and UFO robots?
CyborgZeta

DuelGundam2099 wrote:I don't suppose anyone wants to explain to me what alterations are done with VOTOMS (aside from the Earth setting).
The Uoodo arc takes place in Area 11. Planet Melkia is one of the many alternate "Earths" fused together into Z2's world, IIRC.
I also wonder if those helicopters at stage 22 are waroids from Dancouga Nova or if they're Banpresto Originals.
The helicopters are from Votoms. The WLF use mechs/vehicles from several different series.
My Anime/Manga stats.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot