Mario Galaxy 2 *before* Galaxy 1?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
LightningCount

Mario Galaxy 2 *before* Galaxy 1?

I'm way behind in the world of Wii. I have not yet gotten Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Galaxy 2, and I am a huge fan of Super Mario 64 (which I've heard these are spiritual successors to more so than the iffy Sunshine). I've noticed lately that Galaxy 2 has lots of good sales going on, whereas Galaxy 1 is/has been devoid of sales. I wanted to play them in order, but it doesn't make sense to pay more for an older game that is supposed to have less features than its sequel. So... MY QUESTION:

If I do get and play Super Mario Galaxy 2 BEFORE Mario Galaxy 1, will it ruin the experience of Super Mario Galaxy 1? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Areku

Re: Mario Galaxy 2 *before* Galaxy 1?

Probably not. SMG2 was more... refined, more straightforward in letting you have fun with the gameplay. But, IMO, SMG1 had more enthralling levels and music. Both are great games, and they're both built around the same interesting gameplay, but they go about entertaining you in different ways. SMG2 is more action-oriented, with the thrills and the challenge coming at you fast and furious, but SMG1 isn't afraid to take its time in some places and immerse you in some pretty fascinating worlds. SMG2's concentration of fun is higher, but there were only a handful of moments where I felt compelled to take it slow and casually explore my environment, while I did so frequently in SMG1. Compared to the first game, many of 2's worlds felt almost... disposable. Fun as hell, but quickly forgotten.

Those are my thoughts about the games. They're similar, but I think they offer different types of experiences, so playing one wouldn't necessarily spoil the other.