Gundam 00 Fangame project

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Justin6477

Gundam 00 Fangame project

So, born from a random discussion on 4chan (m board of course), comes a fan dating sim/visual novel project.

The game would remove Setsuna F. Seiei from the 00 cast and replace him with a male or female Original Character (red or blue versions respectively).

You will then influence the story and have a relationship with one (or possibly more) of the supporting cast.

This thread will be for more development and discussion from the ideas already established from the /m/ thread.

edit: the thread in question. http://archive.easymodo.net/cgi-board.p ... ad/5054147
Last edited by Justin6477 on Sat May 22, 2010 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord Zaru

Re: Gundam 00 Fangame project

This is the OP, Nice to see that you have started Justin.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Overlord Zaru

Would it be like MS-Paint Adventures in a sense?

Also, how will we start off our characters. Will they have the same past but in different genders in different versions?

And what will their descriptions be like? To the player's choice or default?
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Justin6477

Well, they need something to make them anti-war. Maybe have the girl be born into CB like Feldt and Desu, while the male is from a military family like Andrei was. Overall we should keep it relatively simple and not load up on back story.

Also, we'll need to incorporate Ali in some way for his presence in the story to make any sense.

edit: I'd say make it a default background, we're deciding how the character evolves, so a specific background shouldn't be required.

No idea on the art though. I don't even know the legalities of fair use, so I can't comment too much.
Overlord Zaru

Well, having Ali just lolTerrorist Bomb sounds cliche, maybe instigate Civil War in some country?

The Girl's past sounds ok, as does the Boy's.

And what nation would the Boy come from. From teh Big 3 or a smaller?
Overlord Zaru

We could base it a similar fashion to MS-Paint Adventures:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/

The fangame at least.
Justin6477

Well, seeing as the big 3 are groups of nations (At least the AEU and Union are), you could have him be from say Moralia or one of the South American countries. Somewhere that doesn't hold all the power and gets used for the gain of others.

Moralia could be interesting though, since their economy seems to be based on mercenaries. It would also give a reason for him to know Ali. If we go for the traditional military background, then we could have Ali assassinate/murder his parents (or just father) while part of the AEU or Union forces seeing as Ali had several personas.
Temjin 747FF

Personally, I'd like to see the protag have the potential to be snarky, personality-wise. Y'know, the occasional player-controlled one-liner (on choices that have no plot-relevance, natch), maybe a few sarcastic remarks here and there... that kind of stuff.

I'm just sayin', is all.
Justin6477

Temjin 747FF wrote:Personally, I'd like to see the protag have the potential to be snarky, personality-wise. Y'know, the occasional player-controlled one-liner (on choices that have no plot-relevance, natch), maybe a few sarcastic remarks here and there... that kind of stuff.

I'm just sayin', is all.
Certainly. Your personality development should be a part of what girl you end up pursuing though, and with all the different girls, you have the possibility to go practically any which way.

Hm, I've been thinking about the wang route, maybe you'd end up betraying CB and doing things on the side with her as your new support.
Temjin 747FF

While I agree that the protag's personality should be shaped by whatever route you're on, I also think that he should have some non-route-dependant actions that show a quick glimmer of... well, character. Like, something that says the protag knows what he's doing, but he doesn't have to be all "Serious McHumorlesspants" all the time.

Like, when you get to the point where you "introduce" yourself to Graham and whatnot (sorry, haven't seen 00S1 in its entirety), instead of going, "I am Gundam" (or its equivalent), you can... say, introduce yourself as "(insert vulgar word here) (insert other vulgar word here) the Third" or, "someone from Celestial Being. And you must be Random Grunt #417."

Something like that.

I dunno where I'm going with this.
Justin6477

Yeah that's true. We can have some personality building or completely inconsequential choices.

Fate and other Visual novels have quite a few of them. It just changes up the incidental dialog.

It's perfectly fine and makes things a little more fun.
Temjin 747FF

One other thing...

How much experience with the series should someone wishing to help out on this project have, as a whole? Main reason I ask is that I obviously want to help, but outside of a few bits and pieces, I haven't seen much of 00, nor read any of the supplemental material.

Of course, I can easily fix that with time and money, but still.
Justin6477

I'd say that knowing 00's story and characters are important, the side material not as much.

As for watching the rest of it, it's found streaming on otakucenter.com (myspace videos, so no watch limits like megavideo). Although torrents and downloads are also good.

Personally, I'm rewatching Season one to make sure I'm equipped for this.
Temjin 747FF

Yeah, that's pretty much what I assumed; I just wanted to double-check. I'll probably try picking up a DVD set or two this weekend, or something along those lines.

Have you decided on an engine to use? I suggested Ren'Py in the original thread, but that's only good for straight-up VNs. Still, though...

Also, for the actual VN-ish parts, will you be aiming for novel-style (Tsukihime, Kira Kira), adventure-style (D.C. Da Capo, Shuffle!, Wind -a breath of heart-, and pretty much a majority of other VNs), or a mix of both (only Katawa Shoujo comes to mind)? I guess this question is more directed toward Zaru, but I just thought I'd throw it out.
Justin6477

I'm not sure how the material will be presented, I guess that'll be figured out over development.

Also, I unfortunately know nothing of these engines. Hopefully Zaru can elaborate more.
Overlord Zaru

Your guess is as good as mine regarding what engine we use. As long as it is good I guess.

And as for the personalities of the Protag: Have it similar to how BioWare does it: you have 3 different options of speaking- Good guylike, nuetral-like, or bad guylike.

A Wang route would be interesting, maybe have one of CB's enemies kill Long and you replace him as her bodygaurd perhaps?
Justin6477

Augment may be better than replace.

The easiest way to go about it would be for you to do what Nena did when Wang took her in.

As for getting on to the route, I guess choices where you question CB's somewhat restrictive ethos would get her to trust you enough to take you in and have you do projects for her. Basically saying how the world should be changed by any means, so long as it changes.

For the option spread, I do agree. However, it wouldn't necessarily be a good/neutral/bad proposition.
scissorsniper

Hi there. Saw your thread on 4chan. I wanna do the art.
Overlord Zaru wrote: And as for the personalities of the Protag: Have it similar to how BioWare does it: you have 3 different options of speaking- Good guylike, nuetral-like, or bad guylike.
The only problem is that these option choices:
1. Could break the context of the situation
2. Might seem out of place with individual character routes.

Does anyone perhaps have a copy of the Tsukihime flow chart (for the choices/routes flags)?
Your guess is as good as mine regarding what engine we use. As long as it is good I guess.
Unity and Game Maker are free engines we could use.
What about music?
There's royalty-free music at propan mode, Yamajet and Sentive; or I could ask around in some places I know?
Overlord Zaru

Awesome, we got an artfag, and a director. Now for a writerfag who can type/write the scenes needed and how to develop each characaters story.

We will first experiment with the BoyOC and develop till the part where the player chooses what girl to fall in love with. And all that jazz.

Also, is anyone updating that thread on /m/? We need to keep it alive.
Overlord Zaru

Also, @scissor

Can you give us an example to how you will draw the 00 characters(Nena and our Oc for instance) and their mechas? Can you also do GiF's similar to MS-PaintAdevntures?

EDIT: Don't forget, we also have my FF.net profile to go to as well. I can check that place more often then this(because of Email alerts and such).