Armored Core V

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
b1ackb1rd

Re: Armored Core 5 announced.

Hey all, just picked up the game, and so far I'm liking it. I was wondering if anyone knows if you are able to use a secondary if you have a sniper cannon equipped on the same side. Am I dumb, or is this just not possible? Whenever I try to switch, I get the firing reticle instead.

Anyway, I'm obviously new here, and would be down to game with some of you all if you need more peeps. I'm on PS3, and recently moved so I don't have my internet in yet (April 7). I also just purchased the PS3 so I am yet to have a gamertag, I will post once I have it.

Thanks!
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

I'm still running around with a sniper unit myself. Here's its basic design

- Roland Head
- Jotun Torso
- Iimenau Arms
- Wutain H Rev-J Legs
- Zinzang Gen
- Diafeng BST
- Heksu recon units

- Salem Sniper Cannon(Accuracy)
- A pair of Cycad sniper rifles (RoF spec)
- Surat CE Missiles w/ the Uzumi Sniper FCS
or
Pestwarz Vert Missiles w/ Predire FCS

My last gun tends to jump between using a rifle or shotgun but generally serves as a close range work horse. at the beginning of battle I'll get myself into a decent perch and pop off the ten rounds from my sniper cannon as soon as I can since the gun is a liability in everything but extreme range. I should also point out until I purge the cannon I'm actually over weight though the hit on mobility isn't really all that bad as I've seen in previous games.

Honestly I wish I could build a rifle with >100 optimum range <100fire rate with decent damage and muzzle velocity. I stinking hate that Gatling guns for the most part have higher optimum range then rifles.

I don't get a lot of practice against human opponents (as I don't like the mercenary system, prefer fighting as a team, and my own group is very small) I'm not very mobile since I don't use the "special boosts" very often (High boost is for evading, glide for getting from A to B) and I only really enter scan mode while actively searching to recovering energy.

----------
b1ackb1rd wrote:Hey all, just picked up the game, and so far I'm liking it. I was wondering if anyone knows if you are able to use a secondary if you have a sniper cannon equipped on the same side. Am I dumb, or is this just not possible? Whenever I try to switch, I get the firing reticle instead.

Anyway, I'm obviously new here, and would be down to game with some of you all if you need more peeps. I'm on PS3, and recently moved so I don't have my internet in yet (April 7). I also just purchased the PS3 so I am yet to have a gamertag, I will post once I have it.

Thanks!
As a "cannon" cannot be equipped to a hanger the only way to access a hanger weapon is to purge the cannon. secondly, while in ready stance you can only fire the weapon you used to enter ready stance. So you can't launch missiles, fire your offhand weapon (which could be a cannon as well), or move.

Unless you're using a tank I'd suggest only utilizing cannons with low ammo stores for opening barrages of a battle then discarding it and entering more mobile combat with anything left.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
b1ackb1rd

Thanks for the input! I haven't gotten that far on the game at all honestly, just picked it up a couple days ago, plus I have a 1 year old, lol. Makes sense with the cannon, I knew I couldn't access anything else while I was using the cannon, but the rest is news to me save purging the cannon once ammo was depleted.

Right now my build is (forgive me, I don't know the names off hand) a CE head, KE core, heavy reverse legs, and I have a sniper cannon equipped on the right, with a sniper rifle in that hanger for when I purge, short range missiles, and right arm I alternate between two different gatling guns with different ranges / dam / ammo.

Still toying with builds and unlocking equip, so any tips are greatly appreciated!
VR7

Parts are unlocked based on team level. If you are on a desolate team by yourself, I would suggest joining the MAHQ team if you want to unlock all the regular parts; At this point I would assume that they are already well over level 50, which means they already have all normal parts unlocked. Otherwise, grind your team's level by doing missions and capturing territory. You will still need to unlock Overed Weapons on your own, though.

Sniper cannons also do not go well with anything that is not a quad, as quad legs provide the best stability and accuracy while using one. If you must have a cannon of some kind on a biped/reverse legs, I would suggest something with lock capability, like a laser cannon or rail cannon, coupled with a long range FCS.

I've never tested cannons on reverse legs, but bipeds get a defense bonus when using cannons.
-noel
Toxicity

I think our team is full at the moment, so seraph will have to kick somebody out if blackbird wants in.

EDIT: edited the name of the thread, now that the game is actually out.
b1ackb1rd

Re: Armored Core V

So, what you unlock on single player doesn't carry over online?
Turinu

I'll be jumping back online probably tomorrow. I rage quit'd Tales of Graces F when I forgot to save after a two-stage uber-boss battle and died to an annoying self-destruct monster battle in a side-story quest (WAS ONE HIT AWAY FROM KILLING IT AND IT DECIDED TO BLOW UP, KILLING MY ENTIRE TEAM WITH NO CHANCE TO RETRY THE BATTLE. RAGE!)

So yeah. Can't wait to see all the new faces (Or if I'm even still a part of the team, lol).
VR7

There's a limit on the number of teammates you can have? That sucks.

If you unlock parts and missions in single player, it's treated separately from if you unlock them as part of your team. If you want you can grind your team level offline before joining a team, but it will probably take a long while compared to joining a team that already has access to all the parts.

Also just a note, no matter what team level you are, all hand weapon parts (except specific ones like Jammers) are "available" in the used parts shop. I've been able to buy a Moonlight before I even unlocked it via team level.
-noel
Toxicity

Yeah, the team limit is twenty i believe, and i think our team could really use some cleaning out. I've been playing quite a bit the past couple of days, and i've only seen one other teammember online at any given time. I played at night, morning, and evening, so i know i'm not just on at the wrong time.
Turinu

Huh, if there's only a limit of twenty, why do they give you like 50 Callsign Numbers? That kinda sucks.
b1ackb1rd

Ok, build thus far:

Head: Achilleus HD225
Core: KT302
Arms: KT-4S3 Narva
Legs: Grappa LG665
FCS: Predire FCS 190
Generator: Herz GNE500
Booster: UBT-25H
Recon Unit: STK-16/El Hetsu
R Arm Unit: USC-26/H Salem
L Arm Unit: KO-5K3/Lycaenid
Shoulder Unit: USM-14 Mathura
R Bay Unit: KO-5K3/Lycaenid
L Bay Unit: Cycad SR03-2

Still toying with it, but I like the general idea... Waiting on more 2nd Gen to open. Gist of the build is obviously focused around the Salem. The Lycaenid is there to create space if I need it, and if I have to purge the Salem, I can spam dual Lycaenids, while still being effective at some range with the Cycad. I like the Lycaenids over the Geneva due to range and significantly more rounds.

And I seem to be beating the proverbial dead horse here, but since my team level is showing at 25, that would then carry over online unless I joined a team, in effect using that teams level instead?

As always, tips and critique are appreciated, looking forward to finally getting on line next week!
crashlegacy14

b1ackb1rd wrote: Head: Achilleus HD225
Core: KT302
Arms: KT-4S3 Narva
Legs: Grappa LG665
FCS: Predire FCS 190
Generator: Herz GNE500
Booster: UBT-25H
Recon Unit: STK-16/El Hetsu
R Arm Unit: USC-26/H Salem
L Arm Unit: KO-5K3/Lycaenid
Shoulder Unit: USM-14 Mathura
R Bay Unit: KO-5K3/Lycaenid
L Bay Unit: Cycad SR03-2

Still toying with it, but I like the general idea... Waiting on more 2nd Gen to open. Gist of the build is obviously focused around the Salem. The Lycaenid is there to create space if I need it, and if I have to purge the Salem, I can spam dual Lycaenids, while still being effective at some range with the Cycad. I like the Lycaenids over the Geneva due to range and significantly more rounds.
Some parts to consider:
- Heracles head and Svir arms
These parts are essentially upgrades in all the areas that should matter. AP, Resits, Fire Stability, and Camera performance. Besides a small hit on your weight, consumption, and scan performance everything is better; as such I'm betting you've yet to unlock those parts.

- Jotun Torso
A KE resit core. You'd be taking a 2k hit on your AP, bout 700 CE resit, and 10 conductivity but you'll also shed 600 weight, gain roughly 600 KE resist, 90 TE resist, and more then double your recon unit payload. Equipping the Jotun will essentially help cover your KE defenses, and lighten your unit thus increasing speed.

I'd also argue to grab the Sonne generator at your earliest chance if you're sticking to High capacity generators. regardless you should play around with generators from the Balanced and High output trees to see how they change your booster performance.

VR7 wrote: Sniper cannons also do not go well with anything that is not a quad, as quad legs provide the best stability and accuracy while using one. If you must have a cannon of some kind on a biped/reverse legs, I would suggest something with lock capability, like a laser cannon or rail cannon, coupled with a long range FCS.

I've never tested cannons on reverse legs, but bipeds get a defense bonus when using cannons.
Reverse legs don't actually gain any benefit when in ready state, but the ease at which they scale buildings is easily twice as fast as a pair of quads, and about a third faster then normal bipeds. this thruster enhanced jumping action is even a fairly effective evasion tool. With sniper cannons, this means I could be up a building and in position firing rounds on an enemy team before their quad sniper would be atop a similar building on their side. With the Salem at least the legs don't really factor enter the weapon's reload time by a noteable degree.

In comparing the legs, I'd say Quads are more suited for cannon users who plans to fire from the ground where as Reverse legs are in general more suited for mobile combat and controlling the high ground.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
SlowTurtle

Just picked this game and any tips for someone totally new to the armored core games would helpful thank you.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
crashlegacy14

Allow yourself time to play around with AC configurations. Perform AC Tests after setting up an AC to allow yourself time to get the hang of it's mobility and quarks.

Which platform are you on Turtle? 360 or PS3?
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
SlowTurtle

XBox 360 crash any help would be welcomed.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
mobiusdiablo

I've been off and on (sorry, had my own things to IRL y'know?), but on a bright note, I FINALLY have gotten all the parts minus weapons purchased, got a new configuration I've grown used to, and INAZUMA KICKED the final boss. Life is good.

Since people are posting their schematics up here, and how I was talking about my personal project, I might as well go and place mine here.
Spoiler
"Eldritch Lite"
Mobility Spec Light Biped
Head: HD-19 Chromaeye (aesthetic/AP, will swap out with UHD-10/1 Arthur for scanning)
Core: Wodan CR110
Arms: Isari AM28S
Legs: ULG-20/L
FCS: UFC-11 Glance
Generator: UGN-70/Ho Vital
Booster: KT-2R3/Dafang
Recon: STK-16 Okitsu
RA: USG-23/H (specialized for power)
LA: UBR-05/R (tuned for rapid-fire)
Shoulder: CIWS-10 Haora
RB: -varies-
LB: UHP-07/A or KO-4H4/Mfeng (specialized for power)

Concept/Use
As much as this AC is only Eldritch's successor, essentially being a lighter version of it on paper, a KE-defense (LOL defense) AC, it truly is a different beast. I attempted to work with the lightest, fastest parts I could use, create something that felt more like a close-range NEXT, my mainstay in the previous installments. In this sense, Eldritch Lite has proven to be outstanding, with a little practice and a lot of firepower.

Most of the parts, especially the arm and core equipment were picked for their light weight, in the Isari's case, it's the lightest one that allows shoulder units. I had to sacrifice some of the speed to allow carrying capacity for the heavier Ho Vital generator, the Dafang boosters (maximizing speed over acceleration, High Boosting can overcome the small lag) and the heavier mainstay weapons, the USG and UBR gatling gun and battle rifle respectively.

These two cover quite the array of enemies and in the case of some ACs, can overpower ones that even resist them in some cases. Combined with the Lite's agility, speed, and astounding energy regen, it's well off for close to mid range combats against different types of opponents. The pilebanker on the left bay is my melee weapon of choice, either I have more shots with the UHP-07, or go for sheer power with the Mfeng (which only Overed Weapons outshine). The right bay weapon is somewhat of a wild-slot, I'll typically have a random TE weapon there to ensure coverage, but I'll rarely use it.

Though light and rather on the fragile side, with just below 30k AP, the Lite isn't meant for prolonged, frontal battles, and is best used in my opinion as a skirmisher, doing as much damage as possible and getting in, either useful as a distraction for others or working as a spearhead. As much as I whined about my light RJ being fragile, the Lite, as it seems to be going right now, is probably going to be my mainstay. Any recommendations (especially after building and testing it out yourself) are highly appreciated.
Hmmmm, maybe we should have a sub-topic for schematics, and concepts as well.

On another note, VR, you have the Japanese version of the game right? Please for the love of all that is holy, tell me the story at least makes coherent sense on your side of the pond! People thought 4 and FA were bad? The English localization for the story makes them look like an English thesis for a master's degree. Hell, the Order Missions seem to have more of a story than the Story ones do.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
VR7

If it sounds really ridiculous and cheesy on the English side, it's probably accurate. Even in Japanese, the story was completely nonsensical to me. AC4 and ACfA stories were the best ones because they were simple, but storytelling isn't exactly one of Armored Core's strong points.
-noel
mobiusdiablo

VR7 wrote:If it sounds really ridiculous and cheesy on the English side, it's probably accurate. Even in Japanese, the story was completely nonsensical to me. AC4 and ACfA stories were the best ones because they were simple, but storytelling isn't exactly one of Armored Core's strong points.
Right then, thanks. I know that AC's not exactly stellar, revolutionary story-telling, which is perfectly acceptable (I liked 4/FA, and I like other stories like say Ace Combat). However, if you're going to go make a 'story' mode, at least make the damn thing coherent. Well, at least it was only nine missions long + half a redux.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Made some new schematics.

One is a perfected AC designed for rushing through Blitz missions solo. I destroyed all the helicopter targets in about a minute and a half. It uses all howitzers and HEAT rockets. In theory it can also destroy a helicopter in only a few kicks, but I have trouble jumping to that height.

One uses dual laser rifles and dual pulse guns for the lulz.

One is all sentry guns, designed to abuse the dumb enemy AI in the game. I think sentry guns were nerfed a little too hard in how they're programmed. Why do they randomly explode for no reason? They sure do get destroyed easy, too. I want my orbit cannons back!

And decided to tune all my pulse guns for rapid. Apparently my pulse gun tuned for range ended up really bad.

Finding the later Order missions to be absolutely insane. In one of them, I was constantly being hit by missiles from all directions for an entire 5 minutes. I couldn't see a damn thing. Jesus christ. Equipped a CIWS, but timed out. Then hired a merc and beat it.

I'm finding TE weapons to be a little on the weak side. Even when I'm hitting an AC that's TE-weak, it doesn't go down quickly as if something were KE or CE-weak.

Also, one of our territories is on fire. We need to go defend it sometime.

Tox, yeah the team looks full, and I don't see many people on, but I can't remove people until I can fill the empty spots with people who are guaranteed to be active. I suppose that time will come when someone personally recruits a member or when one of our friends on MT lets me know that they've picked up the game. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
crashlegacy14

SlowTurtle wrote:XBox 360 crash any help would be welcomed.
Not sure if you got my PM. Hit me up on live, my GamerTag is the same as my screen name here. Hell anyone with a 360 can add me, my friends list is damn near empty. /tear.
Seraphic wrote: Finding the later Order missions to be absolutely insane. In one of them, I was constantly being hit by missiles from all directions for an entire 5 minutes. I couldn't see a damn thing. Jesus christ. Equipped a CIWS, but timed out. Then hired a merc and beat it.

I'm finding TE weapons to be a little on the weak side. Even when I'm hitting an AC that's TE-weak, it doesn't go down quickly as if something were KE or CE-weak.
Which order missions are you talking about? granted I did all the later ones with a friend I didn't think any would be particularly problematic solo.

I really haven't fooled with energy weapons at all, I tend to stick with "real" weapons like explosives and ballistics. what exactly are you finding troublesome?
mobiusdiablo wrote:
VR7 wrote:If it sounds really ridiculous and cheesy on the English side, it's probably accurate. Even in Japanese, the story was completely nonsensical to me. AC4 and ACfA stories were the best ones because they were simple, but storytelling isn't exactly one of Armored Core's strong points.
Right then, thanks. I know that AC's not exactly stellar, revolutionary story-telling, which is perfectly acceptable (I liked 4/FA, and I like other stories like say Ace Combat). However, if you're going to go make a 'story' mode, at least make the damn thing coherent. Well, at least it was only nine missions long + half a redux.
I think besides the usual AC problems of not answering questions and having mysterious enemies (the corporation), I think the thing that really hurts V's "story" is the fact we've got two prologue missions. that crappy spoileriffic bit versus RD when you first boot up, and the bit where you're working for the Corporation against the resistance. Honestly the could of squeezed out two or three missions explaining how you got from being a corporate lapdog to a star member of the resistance.
I also think it was a mistake to allow us to start playing order missions before completing the story (or at least chapter 1) as they seem to chronologically be after the story.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG