Model Scale Question

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Model Scale Question

I asked this question once before, but I think it was misinterpreted. I know that 1/144 kits are more-or-less 5 inches tall, 1/100's about 7 inches and 1/60's 12 inches, but how are these estimates made? What I want to do is use a model's scale to determine the size of the finished product in inches, before I open the box.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Gone Astray

Re: Model Scale Question

It's just a simple fraction of the fictitious dimensions of the robot. The original RX-78 is supposed to be 18.5 meters tall, which is about 728 inches. A 144th of that is roughly 5 inches, a 100th is 7.28 inches.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
Mark064

It's math...

Take the Gundams height as 18.5 meters, turn that into centimeters which is 1850. Multiple the height by the scale. So to figure out for a 1/144 Gundam just do 1850 * (1/144) and you'll get your answer. Then if desired convert to inches.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Zanna

Yeah, as others have said the models are made to scale - different models are going to end up being different sizes once completed depending on how large the original is supposed to be.

For example, a lot of the mobile suits from Char's Counter Attack (Sazabi, Nu, Hi-Nu, etc.) are significantly larger than their Universal Century predecessors; the 1/144 HGUC Sazabi model is nearly as tall as many 1/100 Master Grades. Another example would be the Kshatriya from Unicorn: the 1/144 HGUC Kshatriya is almost MG-sized (and that's just referring to the height of the MS itself, not including the binders).
kayone73

G-Slayer wrote:I asked this question once before, but I think it was misinterpreted. I know that 1/144 kits are more-or-less 5 inches tall, 1/100's about 7 inches and 1/60's 12 inches, but how are these estimates made? What I want to do is use a model's scale to determine the size of the finished product in inches, before I open the box.
1. go to MAHQ main mecha page

2. search entry for mecha you're interested in kit form

3. read up specs including fictional height in meters

4. then do the math depending on 1/60, 1/100, 1/144 scale as mentioned by everyone else above.

Remember these mechs all have ficitional height already determined.
AdamusKane

generally i take the hieght of the machine in meters (generally 18.5 meters as stated above). then multiply by 100. this gives you the height in CM. then plug the height into google as 1850cm to inches.
then it spits out a height for your model. now keep in mind that it will be taller with a stand. (my Strike freedom Full burst mode stands about 12 or so inches tall with the stand even though the model is only 7 or so inches tall) and believe me the height of a MG model does not seem that impressive until it is built.
PG doubly so.