Latest Gundam/Mecha Merchandise thread (2008-2011)

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
exxecutor000

Re: Latest Gundam/Mecha Merchandise thread (2008-2010)

Jaynz: good to hear that :). Hope you'll enjoy building HG Chaos.

Me too enjoy these SEED HGs - now waiting for my CGUE DEEP ARMS :)

If you're interested in other SEED models, I highly recommend these (if you still can get them):

SEED - Aile Strike, Blitz, Calamity, Providence, Strike Rogue + IWSP (MSV)

DESTINY - Akatsuki Shiranui/Oowashi, Saviour, Destiny, Legend, Blaze Zaku Phantom (Dearka's)

STARGAZER - Strike Noir, Blu Duel, Verde Buster, Stargazer
exxecutor000... zero zero zero
Jaynz

Edit: Going to make use of my accidental duplicate post...

HGCE Blitz Gundam
This is actually the second time that I got this particular model. The first time I seriously bullocks it up (it was one of my first) and then it was utterly trashed in our move. So I decided to replace it outright. I'm glad that I did, my impression of the model is far better this time around, but not without some caveats.

The Blitz is basically answering the question "What if the Deathscythe were in Gundam Seed". It has more than a passing simularity to the older suit both in look and function, though the Blitz doesn't have the trademark scythe itself. The suit is a black and grey model what's oddly rounded and smooth when compared to other suits in the line. A little bit of yellow and red offset the dark colors for a nice contrast. The result is surprisingly handsome, and Nicol's suit definately stands out in the ZAFT lineup.

Most of the assembly is fairly straight forward, though some special care has to be used in assembling both the right-arm shield (making sure you line up the correct holes) and the grapple hook. The hook can be assembled in either 'spear' or 'claw' mode (I prefer the latter) and can also be assembled either mounted or along the wire. I would have preferred if it could be somehow retractable instead, but that may be too much to ask at this scale.

The major downside for the model comes with the red highlight color, which mostly occurs with the use of stickers. While this isn't unusal with Gundam HC kits, it gets a little problematic with the Blitz due to the huge red flat sticker on the arm-shield. This really brings down the overall look of the figure. Sadly, since all the red trim areas are on the black color sprues, painting will be difficult. Another flawed sticker is the red-trim on the chest, which will more likely fold off and fall rather than stay on. Again, this is on a black area so painting may not be an option.

All and all, the Blitz has a lot going for it, marred really by the red trim and a few niggling assembly issues on the two 'accessories'. To really bring out the best of the model, though, some careful painting on the large red trimmed areas is a must.
Last edited by Jaynz on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaynz

exxecutor000 wrote:Jaynz: good to hear that :). Hope you'll enjoy building HG Chaos.
That said... the HGCE Gundam Chaos

The Chaos was one of the three ZAFT suits stolen by Phantom Pain in the first part of Seed Destiny. This is basically the 'artillery' suit, filling the role of the Buster from the previous series, and has a few similarities to that design. The suit is marked by being able to quasi-transform into a mobile armor (a bug like thing) and with the huge artillery pieces on its back.

The model is fairly typical for a HG Seed model. It builds together fairly easily and has a good (if not great) level of detail. Paint is more optional on this than most, with only the head and chest missing some key details. The gun ports can use some paint as well, depending on how you display the Chaos.

The only real downside of the model comes in the slight inaccuracy of the gun ports (needed, due to how the cannons mount within) and the fact the missile hatches are not true swivel pieces. This means they sit there, loosely, covering the missiles. Some white glue can secure these better, but this is annoying oversight. Fortunately, the pods do indeed come off like on the show and can serve as remote units if you want to display them as such.

Overall a good, solid build if not spectacular.
If you're interested in other SEED models, I highly recommend these (if you still can get them):
I haven't seen one that I can't get from ONE of the usual sources. Only the Wing and G Gundam suits I want give me any issue to find now.
SEED - Aile Strike, Blitz, Calamity, Providence, Strike Rogue + IWSP (MSV)
Got it, the second is on its way (first didn't survive the move), not yet, not yet, got it and altered it to make the Aile Strike Rogue. (The IWSP pack didn't survive the move either.)
DESTINY - Akatsuki Shiranui/Oowashi, Saviour, Destiny, Legend, Blaze Zaku Phantom (Dearka's)
Not yet (either one), got it, got it, not yet, not yet. Having the glossy Hyaku Shiki already kinda kills the 'must get' impulse for the Akatsuki at the moment, though. Probably after I build up the Phantom Pain units.
STARGAZER - Strike Noir, Blu Duel, Verde Buster, Stargazer
Got it, not yet on the others. Strike Noir was an impulse buy, but I'm pretty happy with it. I just wish it was more compatible with the Striker packs so I can make use of these spare parts I have...
Dark Duel

Just recently got:
-MG Destiny(intend to gut it for parts for a custom project. Might get a second for straight-build like I did with Blue Frame)
-MG Unicorn + MS Cage (JEEBUS that is a huge freaking box.)
-HG ReZEL Commander Type
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SNT1

Alright, I havent posted here since... I don't know, but here's what I've been up to this year:

1/144 Airmaster Burst - hey, $6, ain't complainin'

1/144 HG Garazzo - what a nice solid kit. Articulation's very good, my only complaint is that the fingers and the beam sabers are molded in one piece, which will be a biotch to handpaint. I'm no good at handpainting.

1/144 HGUC Advanced Hazel - Haven't started it yet, but this is my newest HGUC since the 2004 HGUC NT1 (until I got the other HGUCs below). Looking at the runners in real life, in my hands, shows how far HGUC has gone.

1/144 HG Arche Gundam - Big. It has a skinny frame but the abnormal proportions and large bits make it look more imposing than even my MG F91. I thought the joints would be weak because of said abnormal frame and build, but I was wrong. Polycaps still hold up very well.

1/144 HG Verde Buster - this one has a bit of dated tech, and a bit predictable to build, as it's a SEED kit, lol. I dislike how it can't move its arms around as much when completed, but then that's because of the nature of the mecha.

1/144 HGUC Hi-Nu Gundam - The best HGUC I've built so far. Even more advanced than the Advanced Hazel, closer to MG in terms of construction, very solid. Very few seam lines to putty up, though I may have problems coloring some of the fin funnels.

1/144 Nu Gundam HWS - unbuilt, my biggest HGUC yet, looks like a winner to me

1/144 HGUC Guncannon D - unbuilt, hey, it's nice!

As you can see, My new decade in Gunpla has started a storm of 1/144 kits; I've decided that the MG line has gotten too expensive and boring nowadays (even with kickass units like Wing and Victory stealing shows). Having not bought a single new 1/144 since 2004, I'm surprised how far they've come in terms of tech, even if I knew what to expect thanks to dalong and the rest of the internet.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Fignuts

Yeah, this year has started out slow for me, compared to the army of kits I was buying last year.

I've put together:

HGUC Zeta- Pretty dissapointed to be honest. Requires more paint than I'd expect from a HGUC, especially from a flagship mobile suit like the Zeta.

HG Ahead Mass Production- Awesome kit right here. Can get so many cool poses out of this guy, and the look of the suit is very unique.

Waiting to be built:

HGUC Zaku III
HG Gadessa
MG Z'gok
reeoyuy

Fignuts wrote: HG Ahead Mass Production- Awesome kit right here. Can get so many cool poses out of this guy, and the look of the suit is very unique.
Give it NGN Bazooka from HG Astraea Type F and it'll look 10 times cooler. Also, I'm a fan of big guns, but somehow I feel that short barreled rifle suits Ahead much better than the long one.

Anyway, haven't got new stuff yet. Someone offered Max Gokin Mazinkaiser and Dragonar at low prices, they look good; but since I haven't watch Dragonar or Mazinkaiser OVA I don't have any 'connection' with them.
Need to think wisely :P
Gone Astray

Today, I was able to purchase Kotobukiya's MSG weapons sets 8. 9. and 10 from a comic book store in Ann Arbor. Best part of all? The suckers are 400 yen, but marked at $.99 a piece.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
blind_dead_mcjones

I LIVE!!!

got back from avcon bringing back with me...

HG astraea type f, masurao, reborns, arche, gadessa, and ahead smultron.
Flag Fighter for life!
Murra

I picked up the RG Gundam yesterday, it's actually more complicated than a lot of Master Grade models even it's tiny little hands have more joints than the version 2.0s. Standing it next to the HGUC 30th Anniversary edition, they don't even begin to compare, it's really a must buy for anybody who likes gunpla at all.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Well, I'm done with my Daughtress and now I'm painting-and gluing together-my G-Falcon. But lately I can't seem to find the time to finish it. I still have my 2 unbuilt Leos along with an 1/144 RB-79K Ball and a 1/144 Double X.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Jaynz

JMF1336R Rising Gundam: US Version

Found this on eBay and decided to pick it up. I should begin by saying that my expections for G Gundam models is pretty low, largely due to the period when they came out and their low price-point. These kits tend to suffer from a lack of detail and swappable 'block' parts to define weapon mounts and other features. These kits fall somewhere between the FG line (detail and features) and the HG line (posability), so if you're used to the HG, these will dissapoint.

The Rising Gundam is the third suit of the Neo Japan fighters and is commandeered by Rain near the end of the series. As such it visually envokes the other suits in the line in terms of overall color (white with red trim) and design. Though visually a little simplistic (the chest lacks notable detail), the design is strong enough to stand with Gundams from other series quite well.

The model is surprisingly good about the basic form, with the feet getting a two-color treatment (very unusual for figures of this type). The chest seems almost kiddified, but that is indeed what the model looks like, so there wasn't much that they could do. As usual, stickers define a lot of the color differences. All the red trim on the shoulders are from stickers. The 'gundam crest' is provided by stickers as well. The most offending sticker is the green 'gem' on the chest. The hyper-mode grill colors are provided by stickers as well.

The major downside of the model comes from the attachments, which seem like an afterthought. The crossbow mount is a swappable set, all molded in white, which is actually a color NOT used in the mount. The shield is molded in white but is also a swappable set and not from the shoulder pieces. The heat blade mount is a swappable part on the hover-car, which is molded in white instead of red. Lastly, there is a small cannon included which seems to have no real basis for being there.

The US instructions also leave out what to do with the blue guards (which are alternate parts in place of the outside leg thrusters) and two large red guards which seem to not fit anywhere that I can figure out. In short, no matter what you do, you're going to have a lot of pieces left over and all your accessories are going to be fairly inaccurate.

Despite these flaws, however, the Rising Gundam is a bit of an improvement over the other designs in the line (coming near the end) and looks fairly impressive with a bit of work. The US instructions bollocks up a little bit, and provide a bit of a clue as to why the model kits didn't enjoy more success here. A solid purchase if found on the cheap, at least.
Jaynz

GF13-021NG Gundam Spiegel

Finally got this one in. This is the Japanese 1/144 model kit version, so it's in that 'limbo' between the FG and HG sets. The Spiegel is a fairly simple suit, however, so the model doesn't look too much of the overall look. The suit is largely cobalt blue with white secondary and red trim. The suit, being straightfoward, assembles fairly easily and looks fairly good when complete. Structurally, the suit lacks a waist, due to the rear half of the body being one piece. Kinda annoying for a 'martial arts mecha' model.

Stickers will form some of the needed white detail on the torso and legs, which is a little unforuntate as the stickers aren't all that great and they mount on the cobalt pieces. Painting will be a pain to get the look right. Likewise, most of the verniers are supposed to be red but are molded with the cobalt pieces. The most obvious ones, though, are those on the lander, which is fortunately modelled white.

Yellow stickers add detail on the chest and arms, but fortunately these are pretty straight-forward and don't require bending the sticker to fit.

Not much more to say, really. The kit makes a handsome but simple Gundam with a limited but effective feature set (the swing blades).
Jaynz

HGUC MSZ-010 Gundam Double Zeta

For those few people who don't know, the Double Zeta is the titular Gundam of the somewhat 'lost' Double Zeta series. It's pretty much the most powerful thing in the field before the Nu Gundam shows up a few years later. In role-playing terms, this mobile suit is a total twink! The design has quite a few good points and I was constantly feeling that whole in my collection right after the Zeta. Besides, I like Judau...

Anyway, my first thought on getting this box was 'holy shit, this box is heavy'. And it is. Of all the HG models for Gundam I've put together, this was easily the most daunting. It's got many sprues (A-G, with a large PC sprue and a second E sprue through in for good measure) and a pretty big instruction book. You're definately going to feel like you're getting your money's worth on this one.

Since there are so many parts, though, the instructions can be unusually confusing in places (particularly the very complex legs). You oddly begin by making the Neo Core fighter and then put it aside for most of the rest of the build. From there on there's an insane load of hinged-parts and pieces to make your Double Zeta. You need to pay a lot more attention to this model than other HGs!

When completed the ZZ Robot mode is actually very impressive. The sprues were well laid out and you get a large (two heads taller than most HGs) mobile suit with a lot of detail. Stickers are only needed for the eyes and knees. The vents also get stickers (which I only used for the chest), and the cockpits get stickers as well, though these are black stickers on black plastic, so I decided not to bother.

The downside of this figure is that it doesn't so much transform as 'fall apart into thirty pieces where you hope your engineer is clever enough to put them back together again'. There are numerous 'spare' pieces which are used for the transformation modes (though they're all well represented once complete), making this a 'partformer'. Granted, on a design this complicated I suppose some of this can't be helped, but I had to admit to dissapointment here.

In short, the ZZ is an impressive model that'll take more time and effort to get together than other models in its class. It's definately impressive, and will easily dominate your HG shelf (unless you got the Psyco standing behind him.)
Shea

Ordered my first Revoltechs from Kirin Hobby.

Getter Go
Shin Getter
and New Getter.

(I'm on a Getter kick.)
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Jaynz

YMF-X000A Dreadnought Gundam

Just some quick thoughts on this one. I got this on 'special' Amazon price to help ease the transition for being poor while my girls get back to school. This is a HG kit and considered an MSV suit for the SEED series.

The Dreadnought Gundam is effectively a 'in between' suit between the early and later ZAFT Gundams. It's most prominant feature are the huge-ass red packs on its back which I can only assume serve as guidance lines for anyone wanting to shoot it in the back.. ahem.

The suit is a fairly basic SEED-style build overall and it does pretty well with the sprues. The only frustration, color-wise, is that the white detailing on the arms and chest are handled again by stickers. Oddly, there was enough room on the white sprue to make a cover, but stickers it is. A little dissapointing but not a deal breaker.

The 'waist blades' are slightly annoying in that you get either 'active' or 'standby' poses, but not a bendy or something to make it more dynamic. The DRAGOON system, the big red pieces, put together nicely but also have the 'white sticker' issue. It's not quite as big of a problem here, however.

All in all the Dreadnought is a nice variant in your SEED collection, but not a real must-have. Definately worth getting if you find it in a hobby store trying to put them out on the cheap (to make room for 00 and Unicorn models).
Heecarl_Reez

My RG 1/144 RX 78-2 has just arrived. Love the box (feels so exclusive..;)), Neat looking manual is a plus, and the color distribution in the runner just amazed me..Really can't wait to build it-Not to mention it's been a long time since I've built a RX 78-2 kit ^^.

Excitement embodied..
exxecutor000

Got my recent HG 1/144 gunpla:

Astraea Type-F:
Good alternative to original Exia. The green visor is nice. Excellent weapon package. You even get two beam saber pink blades. If you buy a second set, you can have dual GN Launcher mode, and pass the missile launchers to Kyrios for dual launcher mode. If you're hardworking enough to paint, then there are unused weapons from the sprue e.g. GN blades, swords etc. Note that for colour accuracy, you may need to paint some such as the hardpoints. Overall, a good value one.

Exia Avalanche Dash:
My 4th Exia design, phew! - the weird thing is that I still quite enjoying it after the original Exia, R2 and Astraea Type-F. There are two options: standard Avalanche or the Dash, which the later is sort of a heavy armor version. You get a dedicated stand for posing the Exia. The Avalanche equipment make it more bulky - not to mention limited articulation involving the mounted beam saber. The mountings for GN Blades/Sword near the GN Drive needs some gluing or else cannot hold the weapons properly. The GN blade is not parallel-aligned with the arm because of the additional thruster below the arm. Note that the yellow GN thrusters deploy nicely. Overall, if you like Exia, then this is a worthy addition.

CGUE DEEP ARMS:
Old model. Quality aspect - way below average when compared to the Exia. Nevertheless, a good one for collection especially if you like SEED gundams. The beam cannons and sword is nice and quite solid - the pink blade fit nicely. Overall, good looks but quality.
exxecutor000... zero zero zero
reeoyuy

Latest Merchandise :
-Gundam OO special edition vol. 1 DVD : Bought it from CDJapan. Like many people, I prefer season 1 than the second, and this special edition nicely wrapped it in one disc. Although I miss some memorable scenes, the new ones make up for it. And I wish I can understand what the voice actors talking about on commentary section; sounds like they having some fun.
-Composite Ver.Ka Lancelot Albion : This one got pretty bad reviews out there, after I got mine I can understand them. Cheap looking plastic, nasty nub marks on BOTH Super VARIS, uneven tightness of joints, lack of shield, and uninspiring display base. Still, it's a nice display piece after you find a good pose for it and leave it on display along with GFFs. Mainly due to the fact that Lancelot Albion is a striking design to begin with.
Shea

Got my Revoltechs.

New Getter is perfect. So stable and strong! One could actually get this for their kids, it's so tough!

Getter Go is just as good. He's not "kid-playable" so don't get him for that, but I don't have any issues even if I were to mess with him all night long.

Shin Getter on the other hand... Something is wrong with his legs, especially his left one. He can NOT stand up on his own, and if I don't have him set up just right on the stand, his legs will shift to a position that makes it look like he needs to take a leak. Oh well. Everything else is good aside from the legs and the REALLY sharp arm blades.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.