paint chipping off

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
ikillzu

paint chipping off

due to budget i have hand painted my models with cheap acrylic paint bought at micahels. i notice though that the paint chips off easily when i try to pose my model and because it is acrylic the chipped off paint is like latex and makes the finish not look too good. is there a way to prevent this?

also im thinking about using spray cans at micahels instead. does spray paint work well? i kno its not like using a air brush but it is so darn expensive since you need to buy a compressor also.

my last question is how do you guys get your paint from brands like tamiya and testor, mr hobby etc? i kno internet is an option but the shipping usually costs more than the paint itself. is there no other way or is there cheap place?
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

The sort of paint you get at Michael's is not formulated for use on plastic models. Hobby shops are probably your best bet for proper model paints, but those aren't as easy to find as they used to be. Check your local business directory.

Acrylics aren't going to be as durable as enamels or lacquers anyway, since they are water-based and don't bond to plastic as tightly as petroleum-based paints will. One way to improve adhesion would be to roughen up the surface of the plastic before painting: try using a fine abrasive cleanser and give the parts a good scrubbing with a toothbrush until the gloss disappears from the plastic. The paint should hold a lot better.

It's also important to wash the parts in warm water and mild detergent, rinse, and let dry throughly before painting to eliminate any skin oils or mold release agents that might interfere with paint adhesion.
Kiggz

Its very hard to get into painting Gundam Models without a air brusher, If you invest in one it helps very much.

With a air brusher all you would need to do is seal the paint with products from Mr.Hobby and you would not have small problems like this.

My advice is to invest in a air brusher if you are serious about Modeling.
If you are not then just wet sand the parts and prime then then paint and they should turn out have decent, although they will not even compare close to what a air brusher can do to gunpla.
lazidude999

Use a clear coat varnish and paint the varnish over your painted surface. Make sure the paint is dry first before you paint it on.
ZeonfromHell

I've had that same thing happen to one of my Camaro models. Clear coating over dried enamel paint is the best way to go. Also, some "experts" on plastic models say you should wash the plastic with a mild detergent and not-too-hot water, rinse thoroughly in not-too-hot water, and then let it completely dry before you start building and painting. I have done that with an airplane model before and then clear-coated it after painting. I haven't seen any paint chipping off of it since I finished it nine years ago.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
Blade01

Personally, I had a lot of the same problems with Testor Acrylics that I bought from Wal Mart. Just as everyone has said: wash the parts first, wet sand, apply a primer before painting, and the acrylic paint will stick better.

Personally I don't have an airbruh. I'm thinking about using canned sprays (because they're so cheap). But whether sprays are a good alternative.......... :?:
ikillzu

thank you. i decided to try out a cheap airbrush that i plan on getting off of ebay. It seems really cheap and i read a review off of amazon saying that the brush was pretty good for beginers. just wondering are there already thinned acrylic paint for airbrusher? and they sell testor acrylics at wal mart?
dj898

IMHO a cheap airbrush is only good for one thing and that's for spray on the primer... Being cheap it will be likely single action and won't last for long from what I heard from others who tried cheapo brands - usually from Taiwan/China...

YMMV of coz...
cheers