new to modeling....Gundam marker techniques/general question

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
dr. strangelove

new to modeling....Gundam marker techniques/general question

Hey there,

I'm generally pretty new to modeling, but I have built a few Gundam models before. Some time ago I bought about 4 or 5 HGUC models, as well as some SD kits. They turned out okay, and I attempted to paint select parts of them. They look alright, but certainly not awesome.

I've had a lot of time on my hands lately, and decided to give modeling another try. So, I ordered 2 SD kits (Alex and F91), as well as the G-Generation Gundam marker set. I'm basically clueless as to how to go about this process, so if anyone could provide any techniques or info as to how to paint, I'd really appreciate it. Should ALL the parts be painted with the Gundam markers, or just panel lines and smaller parts? Should I paint before or after the model is assembled? The markers I have are yellow, grey, green, dark blue, red, and black...

I tried looking through the sticky threads, as well as searched a couple pages back, but didn't really find what I was looking for. Sorry if this question has been asked a million times...

Thanks!
Mwulf

I believe there are several similar threads.

So far as "painting" with Gundam markers goes... I wouldn't recommend it. They're far too narrow for that, and you'd risk deforming the tip. I'd only use them for panel lines and the occasional tiny discolored piece--like when the "beard" is molded in the wrong color plastic.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Kiggz

You are supposed to use a decent Air Brusher for painting gundam models.
Gundam Markers are only used for panel lines and I would not even recommend buying SD kits lol.

If your just starting the best thing to do is learn all the techniques and invest in an air brusher. The best thing to do is get a few HGUC kits they are excellent for starters and similar to master grade kits in terms of build style.

After you learn how to clean and sand parts you will be ready to learn how to do all the cool painting techniques, I would recommend you use this site if you are starting out on learning gundam modeling.

Use these sites to get an understanding of how to start learning to model and paint gunpla.

http://forums.gameaxis.com/showthread.php?t=562985

http://gamerabaenre.com/toolsandtechs.htm

http://gamerabaenre.com/in_progress.htm

anything else you would like to know just ask me and others on the forums will help you start off. As for your question on Gundam Markers and how you use them, after your gundam is painted you have two choices on how to do panel lines.

1 Gundam Markers- You wait for your paint to dry then fill in all your gundams panel lines with the gundam marker color of your choice then you use a Q-Tip to brush off all the excess marks on places that the marker got on in the process.

2- You use's a different type of paint then your current paint that you used to paint the whole gundam.

Example- If you painted your gundam with a acrylic paint the ideal paint to be used on your panel lines would be enamel mixed with a touch of thinner, the paints do not mix with each other so the enamel paint would basicly just slide tru the panel lines because they do not mix well.

I would recommend you look at these videos it will give you a better understanding of how gundam markers work on panel lines, now in the video she does not use gundam markers instead she does the second example i gave you but you will see what I am talking about near the end of the second video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNY7IHvU-Ig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWm0CkwpC0

here are more videos to learn from just like these 2, there are also more videos on the side bar when you load any video.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?u ... summer&p=r

this is all you will need to start off I recommend watchin all the videos they all have the techniques you will need to learn in each one and all modelers in the videos are professional modelers for hobby japan.

If you have any questions just ask me.
Blade01

Oh for the love of everything holy... that's insane, lol. I've been building kits for 7 years, and never used all that complicated stuff.

Here are the only accessories that I use when constructing models:
-1 small scissors (to cut the parts out of the plastic frame)
-1 small nail file (to sand the rough edges of the parts)
-touch-up paint (acrylic)
-tissue paper, with paint (to create smudges, and weathering effects on the plastic)

Maybe I'm just too lazy to try all those steps. But, the cheap-ass way always works fine with me.
Kiggz

[quote="Blade01"]Oh for the love of everything holy... that's insane, lol. I've been building kits for 7 years, and never used all that complicated stuff.

Its true you really do not need much but if you do want your kits to look their best I would recommend at the most an air brusher.

The other products techniques I posted up were just to show him how advanced modeling can become and to make him look into it and see if he would like to go this far with modeling.
Xanatos11

This is supposed to be a tip fr someone who is asking basic marker techniques.
Wow, you would almost think that the person asking for simple assistance was atually asking how to do a full repaint of their kit.

And if he is then your advice is spot on.

But frankly, you dont need to do ALL that to get the most out of your kit. Many models look great just with basic lining and trimming.
Most of my models just have basic lining and painting to keep them accurate to the design.

All you need for that is some pens (Ive only used Microns and Gundam Pens/Markers, stick with the Gundam stuff IMO, though G-Gen Is presumeably the same stuff with a different label.). Clippers. And glue if you want. Beyond that I always recommend a knife, nail file, and a variety of tissues and acrilyc paints.

But to the question: Unless your doing a full repaint (see Kiggz's post), just carefully and fully line all the panel depressions on the kit, plus whereever you think that it would look god depending on your preferences. You can also look at the pics on the box or manual if you feel you need more of a guide. If your doing it directly onto the plastic then your able (usually, I recently discovered this DOES NOT hold true for gold plating) to whipe off any excess marks with a paper towel or tissue, and this can even be used to give the lines a more "full" appearance. If you have one, use a marker with a thicker (or worn down) tip, fill in the lines so that a little is on the plastic you dont want marked, and then whipe that off.

Now something to point out, there are two different types of gundam (G-Gen?) markers or pens. I cant remember the actual names though, but lets go wih the thick paint pens and the traditional thin detail pens. Detail pens are for the panel lines, the thick ones are for serving the same purpose as touch up or filler paint. Technically you can repain your entire kit with these, but I wouldnt recommend it, jt them for thicker areas.

And dont believe Kiggz, SDs are awesome XD.
Just not as high quality as, say, a master grade.
valkyriepilot

Xanatos11 wrote:This is supposed to be a tip fr someone who is asking basic marker techniques.
Wow, you would almost think that the person asking for simple assistance was atually asking how to do a full repaint of their kit.
Yeah, almost makes you think that the guy actually asked how to paint a MS kit for entry to BAKUC or Dengeki Hobby contest or any of that high-profile contests :P
Xanatos11 wrote:And dont believe Kiggz, SDs are awesome XD.
Just not as high quality as, say, a master grade.
SD's rule!! We should have more SD love :D Many of the new SD kits nowadays have superb articulation and detailing. Look up the SD Destiny Gundam kit, for example, and you'll be in for a lot of panel lining and features :D I myself own a SD Strike Noir, 4 pieces (yes 4!!) of SD Astray Red frame, and this awesome kit, SD Strike Gundam Striker Weapons Set!! I actually just bought the SD Alex Gundam yesterday and I may be set to build it anytime today. 8)
Blade01

Well, I think I was a little harsh earlier. Those links are definitely great, and insightful on building modeling kits. I'm definitely going to try some of those techniques on a few of my master grades. :)

Except my "GP01 Coating Version". I'm definitely not going to sand, or liquid cement that kit.... unless I want it to look like p.o.s. lol.
dr. strangelove

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I finished some SD kits with some of the described techniques, and they look pretty good.

Anyway, I need some advice. I'll just ask in this thread, instead of creating a new one.

I've built a few HGUC kits, as well as several SD, and now I think I'm ready for a Master Grade. I don't think I'll be getting many MG kits, mostly because I just prefer the smaller sized models, so I want to make sure that I get a kit that I really like. What MG kit would you recommend for someone new to MG, like myself? As of right now, I was leaning towards the Gouf Custom, Wing Zero Custom, or perhaps either the MG Aile Strike, or MG Freedom. Any suggestions?
Blade01

Well, since this is going to be your first Master Grade, I recommend you try your hands on something basic, just to get an appropriate feel for the kits. The Gundam RX-78-2 is an EXCELLENT choice for beginners, and it's one of the cheapest Master Grades (around $29.99). Not to mention that it has a pretty sweet core-fighter block.

Just to note, practically all Master Grades have a skill level of 2 (on a scale of 1-4) according to Hobby Japan. That's the same skill level as most high grades, meaning that construction for a Master Grade is pretty basic. That being said, if you feel up to it, you don't have to take my advice for the RX-78-3. Just knock youself out, and buy whatever you think looks cool...

One of my favorite Master Grades happens to be the Gundam EZ8, from the 08th M.S. Team. It's pretty cool, be sure to check it out.
Jak Crow

Re: new to modeling....Gundam marker techniques/general ques

dr. strangelove wrote:Hey there,

I've had a lot of time on my hands lately, and decided to give modeling another try. So, I ordered 2 SD kits (Alex and F91), as well as the G-Generation Gundam marker set. I'm basically clueless as to how to go about this process, so if anyone could provide any techniques or info as to how to paint, I'd really appreciate it. Should ALL the parts be painted with the Gundam markers, or just panel lines and smaller parts? Should I paint before or after the model is assembled? The markers I have are yellow, grey, green, dark blue, red, and black...

I tried looking through the sticky threads, as well as searched a couple pages back, but didn't really find what I was looking for. Sorry if this question has been asked a million times...

Thanks!
I use the markers for the panel lines and touch up on runner spots and small pieces that aren't molded in the right color. Try to paint everything while still on the runner. Definitely hit the panel lines, though you don't necessarily need to do the outlines for every raised bump found on the model, I find that going overboard sometimes.