Question about the MG RX-78-2 models

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Koshernova

Question about the MG RX-78-2 models

Alright, barring special coloured kits (ie, metalized, transparent, etc) and recolors, my understanding is that these are the MG kits of the RX-78-2:

RX-78-2 Gundam
RX-78-2 Gundam Ver 1.5
RX-78-2 Gundam Ver Ka.
RX-78-2 Gundam One Year War Version

(Please point out if I'm missing any)

As far as I understand, here's how it goes. The original was the first Master Grade, fine. Then the 1.5 came along which was largely the same save for new legs and a different head (at least it looks like a different head in dalong.net).

The Ver Ka. was a completely new mold, and quite different.

Then the One Year War version, which looks like a completely new mold. My question is, is it a completely new mold or not? Is the OYW RX-78 Anime Colors BASICALLY the RX-78-2 2.0?

If so why not simply call it that...
Samster

I'm not entirely clear on what you're asking here. Do you want to know if the OYW version is a new mold or if the OYW Animation Colour is a new mold? Either way the OYW Animation colour is exactly the same as the original OYW kit save for new decals and the colours it's molded in.

As for the OYW version being an entirely new kit the answer would be that it is mostly a new kit. I say this because the legs (excluding the feet) are taken from the 1.5. Now why they didn't call it Ver. 2.0? I don't know, it came out before any 2.0 were on the market I believe and it was a tie in for a PS2 game so they might have liked that moniker better than 2.0. Finally they didn't have a precedent to follow to call it a 2.0 not to mention that it leaves them open to releasing another kit in the future with the 2.0 label with more gimmicks/changes.
She's right Marge, the pants are a dead giveaway.
Koshernova

Well, that's pretty much all I wanted to know. I was under the impression the OYW was simply a recolored 1.5, and as such was wondering why there weren't any updated RX-78 kits. Guess my question is answered then, as well as why it is not called 2.0. Thanks!
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

Here's how it goes:

MG Gundam (1995) - the first, obviously. Heavily restyled compared to the original anime version. Reboxed as RX-78-3 as well as various limited editions, including the very recent "Pro Shop" version.

MG Gundam v1.5 (2000) - very nearly a total makeover of the original kit, with the notable exception of the arms which are held over from the original molding. Styled after PG Gundam (1998). System Injection is used for the all-in-one leg frames, to questionable effect. Is only MG Gundam which includes Beam Javelin parts.

MG Gundam ver.Ka (2002) - though it shares parts with a couple of GM kits released around the same time, this kit has nothing in common with the other RX-78-2 MGs.

MG Gundam One Year War version (2005) - Shares most of its tooling design with the v1.5, though most of the molds are all-new: Many all-new assemblies (restyled arms and enhanced hands to name only two). Loads more surface detail than just about any other MG. Shares leg internals with the v1.5. Is MG Gundam 2.0 in all but name. Recently reissued in slightly different colors with spankin' awesome box art.

There's an exceedingly weaksauce RX-78-2, minus weapons, at the heart of the MG Perfect Gundam too. I never really count that one.

edit: the Pro Shop version uses the 1.5 molds, not the original ones.
Last edited by James E. 'ZEE' Doyle on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Annon Kaies Zi

As a note, since I didn't see it mentioned, is that all of the Master Grade RX-78-2 models come with the Core Fighter that can go into the chest and whatnot, except the OYW/OYW-TV versions. Not sure if that would affect which one you buy (assuming you plan to buy one). It was removed to improve stability and mobility in the waist.
-Annon Kaies Zi
[email protected]

(Avatar made from an Anaheim Machines rendering.)
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

Right, I forgot that part. The MG RX-78-2 OYW and its color variant come minus Core Fighter. This does gain the OYW a small amount of torso mobility which would basically be impossible with a Core Block in place.

Myself, I much prefer the small bit of added flexibility over the CF gimmick. It's one of many small touches that make this particular version of the Gundam exceedingly awesome, IMNSHO.