MG 101 leaked?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

MG 101 leaked?

Highly unexpected if so. The photo in question:

http://mokei.net/up/img/img20070718003028.jpg

On the one hand, the placard indicates a Hobby Japan exclusive and not an official Bandai showing. On the other hand, the placard text reads "Bandai 1:100 scale plastic kit "Master Grade" no. 101" Nothing about it being a conversion or scratchbuild.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Bandai would choose this old, barely known and basically hideous design to kick off MG's second hundred, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
mcred23

The only thing that keeps coming into my mind is "Huh...what?" over and over.

Honestly... it doesn't make any obvious sense to me. About the only reason I could see for this being made and/or released is that it may serve as the base for, or make it easier to make, some other, better known designs, but that still seems very farfetched...

...Yeah... this is going to be interesting...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

My gut feeling tells me this is NOT #101 (what's the target audience supposed to be?), but that doesn't explain all the stuff on the placard.

We'll know soon enough, I suppose.
Mark064

That I gurantee is not MG 101 I've seen that picture years ago. So I'm sure it's from some sort of Hobby Show. Just a coincidence it says 101.
Xanatos11

You always see a lot of proto/concept models at hobby shows. Aside from this one I know that Ive also seen pics of a MG Marasai, The O, Z II (I remain hopeful), F90 and other. Unless Bandai comes out and says "This is the next Master Grade model" then you should never assume thats what your guarenteed to see next.

Also, my mind went fizzle fizzle now, but what suit is that exactly? I se the RX-78E but tha doesnt ring a bell for me. It looks like a mix of D Gundam Third from Double-Fake (hey! Now theres an idea for a MG!) and Aile Strike.
Jak Crow

Annon Kaies Zi

Xanatos11 wrote:You always see a lot of proto/concept models at hobby shows. Aside from this one I know that Ive also seen pics of a MG Marasai, The O, Z II (I remain hopeful), F90 and other. Unless Bandai comes out and says "This is the next Master Grade model" then you should never assume thats what your guarenteed to see next.

Also, my mind went fizzle fizzle now, but what suit is that exactly? I se the RX-78E but tha doesnt ring a bell for me. It looks like a mix of D Gundam Third from Double-Fake (hey! Now theres an idea for a MG!) and Aile Strike.
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgene ... rx-78e.htm

From the Mobile Suit Gundam MS Generation manga.
-Annon Kaies Zi
[email protected]

(Avatar made from an Anaheim Machines rendering.)
Xanatos11

Aah, thank you. thats certainly not a Manga Im familiar with.
And after looking more into it I really hope that that isnt #101 (My hope and my guess goes to Turn X)
lobster

The name at the bottom right of the tag makes me think that this is from a kit bash model contest (like contestant no. 101).
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"
Deus EpS Machina

does no one elsee see the 1/100 Providence?
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

I see it now. Good eye.
Xanatos11

Umm... I dont...?
Waht are you talking about?
Deus EpS Machina

OP image is a kitbash of 1/100 Providence.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Dark Duel

It seems really, really likely at this point that MG101 will be Destiny Gundam.
I really, REALLY hope that is the case.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

Dark Duel wrote:It seems really, really likely at this point that MG101 will be Destiny Gundam.
I really, REALLY hope that is the case.
If you're going by poor quality pics that show up in places like /m/, I really wouldn't use that as evidence that Destiny might be the next MG.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
auriga

I don't see any indicators that say so... If anything, Bandai will continue a bit on releasing their Ver. 2.0s. The Gouf is overdue (please, give me the Custom!), and given the release of the Char custom Gelgoog we're bound to see the MP Gelgoog very soon as well.

If experience tells us anything, Bandai might use the Destiny to close off the MG year, just like what they did with the Zeta and the Strike Freedom in the last two years (add to that the rumor that it would come out by the end of the year). Then they'll probably use that as a springboard to release the V2. We might also - by some freak of nature - get a 00 MG along the way this year, but that's quite unlikely.
nacho-wan

This has to be a mod. There is no way Bandai is releasing such apoorly modeled kit as a master grade. Just look at the legs. For a Master grade this high on the chart, it should have a thousand more hatches lines!!!

And then the head doesn't match with the link to mahq.net...
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
BlackOpsElf

Does it look to anyone else like the "NO. 101" was photoshopped in? Different font... strange spacing between the numerals "0" and the second "1"... the inconsistent background texture/color above the line with the "NO. 101" corresponding to the line in question (take a look, the background is darker and then abruptly lightens along a straight diagonal line)... all this makes me think that the "NO. 101" wasn't part of the original picture.

My guess is that this is a kitbash that someone photoshopped the tag for? I wouldn't have caught it if not for being a font junkie. Stuff like this pops up all over Google image search.
auriga

Now that you mentioned it, it seems that "RX" and "78E" have also been edited in...
CHASER

Well.. there's also the possibility of the text being printed on strips of paper and glued onto a card. The HLJ logo looks like it as well. We did it all the time for art displays in highschool.

Sure looks like a scratch-built model, with some Providence parts. Plus the MG 101's been discussed a lot O.o
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.