Zeta Gundam DVD sets question.

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Reldn

Zeta Gundam DVD sets question.

Hello, this is my first post on here and I'm in a bit of a bind regarding the Zeta DVD set/s.

Off of Amazon I went to purchase the collectors edition boxed set. Sadly, I had to buy it from the marketplace and I bought it for around $67 then noted that the set he's selling is only six discs instead of ten and is supposedly the "import" collectors edition. However, I don't rightly believe it's a bootleg he's sending me, but I believe it's possibly this set:

http://www.redplanetanime.com/product_i ... cts_id=211

So, does anyone have any experience with this DVD set in case it's the one I've ended up purchasing? If so, what's the quality of it say compared to the Collectors edition 10 disc set and the individual DVDs i.e. dubtitles/changed music? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Well, they are indeed bootlegs..So, I guess I'll just have to buy the DVDs separately. I'm going to avoid purchasing them from Amazon and noticed the prices at discountanimedvd.com are pretty reasonable..Anyone dealt with them? If so, are they a good place to get the DVDs from? Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions.
Last edited by Reldn on Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcred23

That looks like a bootleg also, as most "Region Free" ones are.

Going further, AFAIK, there is no official release of Zeta Gundam that is six DVD's. The American box set is ten discs, and the Japanese one is (IIRC) 12 DVD's. The more I look at that and think about it, the more it screams "Bootleg!".
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Reldn

*grumbles* Bloody lovely. Guess I should see if I can return it to the store, claiming defects or somesuch and end up just purchasing the separate DVDs...Those aren't dubtitled are they? I appreciate your help.
mcred23

Reldn wrote:*grumbles* Bloody lovely. Guess I should see if I can return it to the store, claiming defects or somesuch and end up just purchasing the separate DVDs...Those aren't dubtitled are they? I appreciate your help.
I don't think they are. The box set had dubtitles, but the seperate DVD's I believe had normal subtitles (I'm not exactly sure as I have the box set and not the seperate DVD's).

Mwulf

Er... what the heck is a dubtitle?
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Reldn

It's where the subtitles are just taken from the English dubbing instead of the actual translations I do believe. Hope I helped a bit.
Wingnut

Actually, as an owner of the box set, I can tell you that it does NOT have dubtitles. After watching it both in English and Japanese with the subs, the lines are similar (as they should be), but are not exactly the same.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Hyakushiki

Mwulf wrote:Er... what the heck is a dubtitle?
Basically, it's when they simply use the script dialog from the dub for the subtitle track, which is usually not as accurate as properly translated subtitles. It was more common in the "bad old days" of sub translation in anime and rarely seen nowadays aside from instances such as the Zeta Gundam box set which are alleged to be taken word for word from the dub script.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
mcred23

Wingnut wrote:Actually, as an owner of the box set, I can tell you that it does NOT have dubtitles. After watching it both in English and Japanese with the subs, the lines are similar (as they should be), but are not exactly the same.
Actually, the Zeta boxset does have dubtitles, this was confrimed long ago. While they don't 100% match the dub itself, it's been pointed out for years that the boxset has dubtitles, while the later individual DVD's are supposed to have normal subtitles (However, as I've never seen the later, I can't confirm that one).

Mwulf

Hm... thanks. I kind of thought that was what it meant, but I didn't know.

As for them following the dub... I don't see that as much of a problem with Zeta, you know. The dub seems to be fairly straightforward... a lot of dubbers will add in various idiotic allusions to American popculture and crap for "localisation" that, IMHO, horribly detract from the experience. Zeta Gundam didn't really have anything like that, leastaways that I can remember.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Chris
Administrator

Wingnut wrote:Actually, as an owner of the box set, I can tell you that it does NOT have dubtitles. After watching it both in English and Japanese with the subs, the lines are similar (as they should be), but are not exactly the same.
As red pointed out with a link to our Bandai interview, it does indeed have dubtitles. You can tell just from the way the subtitles read more like conversational English, but also when what they're saying doesn't match the subtitles. For example, someone could shout "Kamille!" but the subtitles say "Hey you!" That's about all I can remember off the top of my head, but there's plenty more. And having seen the DVDs from the individual release, I can confirm that they have newer and much more accurate subtitles.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jerid messas ghost

you can get the real set on amazon
even crappy robots that blow up when the go to fast need love too (im looking at you zudah)
mcred23

Yes, they do have the boxset (Which is where I orginally ordered it from) and they also have the individual DVD's as well.

Koshernova

That looks like a recent bootleg since it has English as an audio language. I have a bootleg set from before Zeta was officially released in the west, which is 6 discs, so I'm not surprised they can fit it in. Still, as I said, definitely a bootleg.

And no, I don't recommend buying bootlegs -_-
mcred23

Kosh wrote:That looks like a recent bootleg since it has English as an audio language. I have a bootleg set from before Zeta was officially released in the west, which is 6 discs, so I'm not surprised they can fit it in. Still, as I said, definitely a bootleg.

And no, I don't recommend buying bootlegs -_-
That's not a bootleg, it's the official US boxset, which has English dubbing, as well as the Japanese audio (With dubtitles, as we mentioned earlier). It comes with an assortment of other lil' items (Which are mentioned in the description on Amazon; nine pencil sharpeners, a poster of the Zeta Gundam, a 48-page booklet that's basically GundamOfficial's Zeta section in book-form) and is ten thin-cased DVD's (Although they have it mislabeled as just "1").

TheLastOtaku

I was contemplating buying it since I usually prefer the main UC Gundam shows dubbed. But the price is alot. And when is Bandai going to release ZZ Gundam?
HIKARI NI NARE!!!~
mcred23

TheLastOtaku wrote:I was contemplating buying it since I usually prefer the main UC Gundam shows dubbed. But the price is alot.
Keep in mind that's marked down somewhat from it's release price (Which was $99 when it came out a few years ago) but it's worth it when you figure you're getting a 50 episode series plus some other little odds and ends (It really matters now if you want those things or not).
TheLastOtaku wrote:And when is Bandai going to release ZZ Gundam?
ZZ Gundam has not been licensed yet, and I doubt will see it anytime soon.

Mwulf

These other "odds and ends" are the pencil sharpeners, no? I have to say... I have them displayed along the top of my DVD case and they look very, very good. They're very well detailed and painted... hell. Add the boxset to 'em... and damn, HOW can you possibly pass that up?

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
mcred23

Mwulf wrote:These other "odds and ends" are the pencil sharpeners, no?
Mainly, although I also ment the poster (Which I quite like) and the lil' guide book (Which as I noted, it's basically just GundamOfficial's Zeta section with some Zeta/basic backstory-related stuff in it).

Mwulf

I hate the poster.

It's too cheap/small to frame, but too nice to simply tape up. :evil:

Dut, damn... those pencil sharpeners (at least the ones I can compare) are better detailed than the HGUCs.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)