beginner airbrush

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
jerid messas ghost

beginner airbrush

hi guys im currently in the market for a beginners airbrush and was wondering if you guys had any sugestions thanks in advance :wink:
even crappy robots that blow up when the go to fast need love too (im looking at you zudah)
SNT1

From what I've read on my past forums, I think its better to jump right at dual-action airbrushes. Its cheaper in the long run (dur).

Alot of good modelers would prolly swear by Iwata airbrushes; I have a Paasche VL myself and it ain't so bad. Just stay away from those Testors Airbrush that you find on Wal-mart. I read horror stories about those.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
ulnhyrr

I started out with an Iwata Revolution CR. It's a gravity feed dual action airbrush that costs around $60.00 It's a great beginner airbrush.
jerid messas ghost

do i need a compresser two or does it come with it :?
even crappy robots that blow up when the go to fast need love too (im looking at you zudah)
vaKuz

Many airbrushes do not come with compressors. It is sold seperately. You only need one compressor.
Knowledge is limited, but imagination is unlimited

"When you kill a man, it is a tragedy. When you kill 10 million, it is a statistic" - Joseph Stalin, C&C Red Alert
Kiggz

Ya from what i have read Iwata Revolution CR is a good beginner
jerid messas ghost

well i just found this and it says it comes with a can of safe propelent and i was wondering wat that ment
auriga

That means that the airbrush has some sort of adapter that you can attach onto a propellant can instead of a compressor to be able to paint. In a nutshell, it's pretty much a spray paint can with more control.

Stayed away from these because I thought they'd just be defeating the purpose of buying an airbrush - you'd probably end up saving more if you just buy those spray paint cans.

Anyways, I use a Badger; dunno which model, but I do know it's the cheapest that was offered in the hardware. Single-action, bottom-fed. I can't say that I'm an authority when it comes to airbrushes, as I am just learning the ropes as well.
ulnhyrr

jerid messas ghost wrote:well i just found this and it says it comes with a can of safe propelent and i was wondering wat that ment
That kit is just a waste of money. The time spent cleaning the brush after each use, the cost to buy replacement propellant cans, the lack of any air flow control, etc , etc.

For a beginner, again, I highly recommend the Iwata Revolution. I started with a badger cresendo bottom feed dual action airbrush. I had so much trouble cleaning the thing between paints and such. A nice gravity feed airbrush is the easiest to learn, easiest to clean, easiest to change colors.

As for a compressor, you have several options. You can spend the money on a decent compressor that will probably cost between 100-200 (I have an Iwata Smart Jet) Some people have gotten away with an old tire that they take to the gas station to fill up, and just hook up a regulator and hose, others use an air tank in similar fashion to the tire method. In the end, you get what you pay for.

I've used the propellant cans, the air pressure isn't constant since the can condenseates while in use and you end up with an unsteady flow of air. The amount of air is limited, not sure if one can will even last an MG kit.

I have used these things and I recommend you not for the reasons I have listed above. Getting an airbrush is a big step. If you are serious about model building, I highly recommend saving up and getting the right things. If not, in the long run of things, you will end up spending more money than you would on a good basic airbrush set up.
jerid messas ghost

i just found this and it looks pretty good for a beginer what do you guys think of it
SNT1

It's made by Testors. You do not want that.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
jerid messas ghost

realy why? :?:
ulnhyrr

To name a few issues just from the picture. Siphon feed, plastic construction, and looks overly complicated in the design.

Look through this website: http://www.dixieart.com or http://www.coastairbrush.com
jerid messas ghost

well then what about this
Kiggz

jerid messas ghost wrote:realy why? :?:
It will not work well, it will make your models very sloppy.

Iwata is the way to go listen to ulnhyrr he really knows what he is talking about.
auriga

realy why?
As I have said, I'm no expert, but simply seeing the plastic parts makes me cringe. Don't forget that in airbrushing, you'll be dancing with tons of paint thinner. 'Nuff said.

And you're better off getting an industrial compressor (my dad wanted to get me one of those huge ones, too bad we lacked the space). It's much tougher, and did I mention you can use it for other stuff as well?
Poochi

ulnhyrr wrote: Look through this website: ... or http://www.coastairbrush.com
Is it okay to get any of the Iwata Revolution brushes (ie, the cheapest one available at my local hobby shop)?

Is there any particular compressor you would recommend for beginners?

Thanks ulnhyrr (and everyone else).
Code name Lockon Stratos. The man who can snipe from across the stratosphere.
ulnhyrr

Poochi wrote:
ulnhyrr wrote: Look through this website: ... or http://www.coastairbrush.com
Is it okay to get any of the Iwata Revolution brushes (ie, the cheapest one available at my local hobby shop)?

Is there any particular compressor you would recommend for beginners?

Thanks ulnhyrr (and everyone else).
I recommend the Iwata Revolution CR since it's a gravity feed. Its easier to clean and change out paints. It should be a fairly cheap airbrush. If you can find it at your local hobbyshop without too much of a markup in price, then go for it.

As for compressors, it really depends on what you want? I've used the same compressor for all my airbrushes. I would recommend an Iwata Sprint Jet or Smart Jet. I think there are cheaper Iwata compressors as well. My only experience with compressors are the Iwata Smart Jet (what I currently use) and an old Badger compressor that I used to borrow from a friend (it was blue, did not have an auto shut off function, and was fairly loud).

There are several creative ways to supply air to the airbrush, but if you have the funds to purchase a good compressor, then I recommend doing just that. Shops like dixieart waive the shipping fee if you pruchase over a certain amount, so it may be a viable option for some folks.