Enamel or Acrylic?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
eonwarrior

Enamel or Acrylic?

I'm painting up my Strike Freedom Gundam, and... it's just a freaking large project, just to paint it's eye panels...

I hated the stickers, so I decided to paint the fins and eye area. Right now, they're... alright, but nothing like the illustrations in the instruction papers.

I KNOW it's not really supposed to look too good with this being my first attempt at painting, but the Acrylic paint is not really smooth looking.

I went searching, and saw that Enamel paint could be used on models. And, in descriptions, it dries off to a smooth finish.

So, should I go with Enamel, or stay with Acrylic? (I don't really want to continue on with Acrylic... I don't like the results...)
Nimrod

I think you answered your own question already given that you're basically saying you don't like Acrylics but you should really stick to what you like to use.

That being said, I use Enamel's on my stuff and it works out fine for me.
eonwarrior

I thought so. I guess I really did answer myself.

Time to go art shopping...
zetaro005

im going through the exact same thing... but quite opposite @_@

im new at this whole painting thing, and i just use a brush (don't have an airbrush, spray cans expensive)

and i bought glossy enamels and tried it on an SD kit

and im not really that happy with enamels

the thing is, they seem too thick for me, so when an area is too small, its quite hard to get it right

plus you'd be using thinners, which smells bad especially after long painting sessions. they just give me headaches

so now i'm planning to use acrylics

im not sure if there are glossy acrylics, but if there are, maybe thats what you need

i don't really have any experience, but now im just planning to get flat acrylics and see
you gaaadem zaku!
Kiggz

what are the major differences between the after effects of these 2 types of paints.

I still do not know the difference which paint will give it that smooth dry finish look to the model ? i dont want the paint to look shiny and glossy which 1 would you all recommend i want my Gouf to look a solid blue and not a glossy blue.
SNT1

well both enamels and acrylics are available in gloss (shiny) and flat (dull) finishes, so pick whatever you want.

The biggest advantage of acrylics is that its easier to clean up. Its also its biggest drawback as it is also the weakest and easiest to scratch
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kiggz

Is there anything i can do to make the glossy paint turn into a more flat effect ?
Derringer

Spray a flat coat over it
Lert

I swear by acrylics, and Tamiya ones at that. I find they dry quicker and cover better than any enamel I've tried.
Be alert. The world needs more Lerts.
Kiggz

hmm thanks for the tips guys i still cannot decide they both have their respectable ups and downs
ulnhyrr

Lert wrote:I swear by acrylics, and Tamiya ones at that. I find they dry quicker and cover better than any enamel I've tried.
Yes, acrylics dry quicker, however, they take a long time to cure (chemically settle). With the fast dry time, you are more opt to see brush strokes since there isn't time for the paint to self level. Enamels allow the paints to self level.

For handbrushing, enamels are often better suited. For airbrushing, acrylics are recommended over enamels.

A neat technique is to paint with one type of paint (enamel or acrylic) then do panel lines with the other type of paint. Since acrylics are water soluble and enamels are oil based paints, they do not mix well which makes for a good panel line usage.

Personally, I stick with one type of paint, but I have a selection of various colors in other types of paint. Using the different properties of the different types of paints comes in real handy for a bunch of different painting techniques.
Kiggz

What type of paints do you use currently & what do the pro painters use the most ?
ulnhyrr

I primarily use lacquer based paints. However, I do not recommend them for use for beginners. These paints are designed for airbrushing as they dry incredibly fast and are very strong paints. They require a ventilation system such as a spray booth and respirator because they are very toxic. They are also not as easily found in local shops. Most of the lacquers I use are the Mr Color line form Gunze Sangyo and Finishers. Metallics that I use are Alclad II which are lacquers that are easily found in lots of model shops, however, they are formulated for use in airbrushes.

I also use enamels and acrylics for other paint techniques, but most of my primary painting is done with lacquers.
Kiggz

I see thanks for the info great stuff do you use any gunpla color paints or do you think they are not very good ?
eonwarrior

This guy's doing all my questioning for me. lol I kid.
Kiggz

LOL i am having painting problems :)