Repurchasing Zeta Gundam DVD's question

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
turkishproverb

Repurchasing Zeta Gundam DVD's question

I'm rebuying the Zeta gundam US release DVD's, and I have the opportunity to get the Special edition Boxed set for around nintey bucks, or the full series in the individual boxes for around a hundered.

I never got to watch the dub on my old copy so I don't know if I'll like it, and I've also heard they fixed the subittles in the seperate release.

I wanted to know if this was true, and If so, if there was a way to get the disks swapped out by Bandai.

If not, should I get the individual volumes or the boxed set with its lower price and extra goodies?
Join Zeon: Victory by 0080
Ascension wrote:
turkishproverb wrote:Unless your Joe Quesada.
:lol: Ahh, Quesada. He is to comic book fans what Fukuda is to Gundam fans.
Chris
Administrator

What you end up with really depends on your preferences. The box set includes 9 pencil sharpener figurines, a poster, a hard box to hold the DVDs and a 46-page guide book by Mark Simmons. As for the dub, I think it's pretty good. But be warned - if you're used to the English voices for Amuro, Char, etc from MSG and CCA, these aren't the same voice actors. Also, the music for the openings and ending was changed due to rights issues. This change is present on both versions. For some overly picky fans, this change was a deal breaker.

On the issue of subtitles, the box set is mostly dubtitled. I have seen both versions and can confirm that the individual releases use a different script that is a more literal translation. The box set was part of a limited pressing, so all copies of it have the dubtitles. Even if you don't understand much Japanese, the dubtitles are apparent when a character says something like "Kamille!" but the subtitles say "Hey you!"

In the end, it really depends on whether you like watching it in English or Japanese. If you only watch dubs, it doesn't matter. If you watch things subtitled, I would suggest the individual DVDs. If you get the box set, though, you're stuck with it because Bandai doesn't have a swap program.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Hyakushiki

You found Zeta Gundam box set for $90? I recommend you shop around a little more for a lower price, I bought mine at a convention for $40 so I'm sure you it cheaper if you decide to go that route.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
mcred23

Hyakushiki wrote:You found Zeta Gundam box set for $90? I recommend you shop around a little more for a lower price, I bought mine at a convention for $40 so I'm sure you it cheaper if you decide to go that route.
I'll note that, while it is possibile to get it for cheaper (For example, Amazon has it for $65 and up), $90 is closer to the box set's retail price (Particularly with all the extra stuff/if it's in new condition).

That said, Chris pretty much summed up everything major. Going slightly further, the guide book by Mark is basically elements of GundamOfficial's Zeta section in book form. Like he said, it basically depends on if you want the dubbed version or not.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Annon Kaies Zi

A bit off topic, but are there other U.S. DVDs that have "dubtitles" or similar problems? I was planning on picking up all the series that saw a release in the States sometime soon, and wanna make sure I get the right versions. :P
-Annon Kaies Zi
[email protected]

(Avatar made from an Anaheim Machines rendering.)
mcred23

Annon Kaies Zi wrote:A bit off topic, but are there other U.S. DVDs that have "dubtitles" or similar problems? I was planning on picking up all the series that saw a release in the States sometime soon, and wanna make sure I get the right versions. :P
I would assume that there are at least a few other U.S. DVD's that have dubtitles, but I can't name any for an assortment of reasons...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Xanatos11

Im a big supporter of watching things in the original audio (or remastered audio of the same stuff) so I personally would say the individual DVDs. however its still all your opinion. I bought the stand alone disks entirely based on the subs, but I never watch the dubs.

By the way, where can I see a pic of the poster in the box set. Ive been looking for a Zeta poster to replace an old wallscroll of Zeta slashing at the Gabthley with Hambrabi and Methuss in the backround.
Wingnut

Xanatos11 wrote:By the way, where can I see a pic of the poster in the box set. Ive been looking for a Zeta poster to replace an old wallscroll of Zeta slashing at the Gabthley with Hambrabi and Methuss in the backround.
It's the same pic as what is on the side of the box that holds the DVDs if that helps any.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Xanatos11

Wingnut wrote:
Xanatos11 wrote:By the way, where can I see a pic of the poster in the box set. Ive been looking for a Zeta poster to replace an old wallscroll of Zeta slashing at the Gabthley with Hambrabi and Methuss in the backround.
It's the same pic as what is on the side of the box that holds the DVDs if that helps any.
Yea thans. thats a nice pic for a poster actually. I really hope that bandai eventually gives Victory and ZZ the same treatment as Zeta. And of course X and Turn A, but I highly doubt it.
Well who knows. This weekend theres a Con im going to that Bandai has a panel at. Ill pester the guy into telling me where my DVDs are even if it takes all day :lol: