So what's the deal with Katoki?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

So what's the deal with Katoki?

First I heard that he was off the MG line but was still doing HGUC. Then I heard that he was off HGUC as well. Other than that, no official announcement, no details, nothing.

So what's the real story? Did he jump or was he pushed? Anyone know?
Deus EpS Machina

dunno, and quite frankly i couldnt care less if Katoki wasnt doing gunpla...BEE-CRAFT on the other hand...

EDIT:

well, ill elaborate to get some discussion going on Katoki or mecha desigers in general.

I dislike Katoki quite a bit. His work is very pleasing to the eyes and also very good. I love his SRW designs and his EW redesigns, but really theyre all stale now cuz theyre all quite similar to each other. His work is great, but its all the same. He can do worlds better than that and evidence to that is his work on Sentinel, and the newer Unicorn (not that stale Unicorn Gundam) with the Kshatriya (sp?).
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

Thanks for sharing. Doesn't answer my question at all, though.
Deus EpS Machina

I did remotely hint at his replacement. BEE-CRAFT's done the majority of the last few MGs for one thing aside from the Izubuchi Hi-Nu and the Crossbone ver. Ka. The Ver ka was sorta idiotic i think seeing as how, afaik, teh Crossbones were already his, so wtf, why?

But aside from getting your question answered, why does it matter who designs it?
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

This isn't a "Katoki sucks/rules" thread, alright? Neither of your posts answered my questions in any way. Thanks for playing though.
Last edited by James E. 'ZEE' Doyle on Fri May 18, 2007 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wingnut

Seeing as your question is rather vague to begin with it's not surprising.
I'm not even sure there is an answer.

Watch your attitude as well. We don't need you being a smart ass here anymore than we need this thread to be a "Katoki sucks/rules" thread.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

The question is not vague at all. It's very straightforward, and the answers should be simple enough for anyone who knows them.

There is nothing smart-assed about wanting to keep a thread on-topic. I.E.
well, ill elaborate to get some discussion going on Katoki or mecha desigers in general.
NOT this.

Make your own thread if you want to talk about that stuff.
toysdream

Katoki still seems to be doing HG-UC designs, but perhaps his work on Gundam Unicorn, Harmony of Gundam, and his various toy franchises are keeping him too busy for Master Grade work. Looks like the MG series is in good hands, though; I'd love to know who's responsible for the last few designs, but I don't recall seeing them credited in print.

-- Mark
SNT1

BEE-CRAFT is responsible for the majority of the latest MG designs, with the exception of Katoki's Crossbones and Izubuchi's Hi-Nu...

As for credits, the linearts of F-91 and Strike Freedom Gundams on the MG kits have "Conceptual Illustration: BEE-CRAFT" written right below it.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

My understanding is that Bee-Craft is handling all the MG design work outside of any future ver.Ka entries. Further information on the whole affair has been more or less nonexistent.

edit: x-post
toysdream

James E. 'ZEE' Doyle wrote:My understanding is that Bee-Craft is handling all the MG design work outside of any future ver.Ka entries. Further information on the whole affair has been more or less nonexistent.
BEE-CRAFT gave us a slew of Gundam Seed makeovers (some of which were released as part of the regular 1/100 Seed Destiny series), as well as the Gundam F91, but I'm not sure they're responsible for the Ver.2.0 redesigns.

-- Mark
Bangdoll

I hope he's still doing GFF. Maybe he is just too busy with too many series.
saneman

Bangdoll wrote:I hope he's still doing GFF. Maybe he is just too busy with too many series.
GFF without Katoki would nowhere as popular as it is now. Yeah, Mr. Katoki and bandai must be aware of that.
You know, doing what is right is easy. The problem is knowing what is right.
~ Lyndon B. Johnson
Red XIV

toysdream wrote:
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle wrote:My understanding is that Bee-Craft is handling all the MG design work outside of any future ver.Ka entries. Further information on the whole affair has been more or less nonexistent.
BEE-CRAFT gave us a slew of Gundam Seed makeovers (some of which were released as part of the regular 1/100 Seed Destiny series), as well as the Gundam F91, but I'm not sure they're responsible for the Ver.2.0 redesigns.

-- Mark
"They"? I thought BEE-CRAFT was just a pseudonym for Junichi Akutsu.
"I think most of us were lead astray via the Hazel family tree that hinted the TR-6 came from the Hazels...when in fact it's an amalgam of all TTT mecha...and a rabbit." - Deus EpS Machina
Deus EpS Machina

Iv searched for BEE-CRAFT many times to find out just who it is, and while Akutsu's name comes up the most, iv seen a couple other names in the BEE-CRAFT for me to say that BC isnt one person, but a design studio of a few.
"Kamille! Kamille!

Deus EpS Machina wrote:Iv searched for BEE-CRAFT many times to find out just who it is, and while Akutsu's name comes up the most, iv seen a couple other names in the BEE-CRAFT for me to say that BC isnt one person, but a design studio of a few.
It's a whole studio but Akutsu's the main guy.

also did the original SEED Gundams before Okie got to them amirite?