Model Contest and Model Building Seminar at Anime Expo

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
ulnhyrr

Model Contest and Model Building Seminar at Anime Expo

I know some of you guys have seen my model building workshop files; but I figured I'd pass some more information around regarding Anime Expo and these two events in particular. Hopefully they let me judge the Model Contest (which will keep me from entering - but to get more participation, it's well worth it)

If you are coming to Anime Expo this year, bring something to this:
http://www.anime-expo.org/?q=profession ... el_contest
AND come to my model building workshop! As I get more details on times and location for the workshop, I will post them up.

Post if you're going to AX, I'd like to meet you all.
bluemax151

I don't model anymore but I'm going to AX. I'll say hi if I swing by.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
PlasticFrog

Please do update us on the model workshop thing. If I go to AX, it'll be for that.
Most recently purchased: MG Hyper Mode God Gundam
Most recently finished: SD Verde Buster
Supposedly working on: HG Exia + Astraea
Luciora

I will be attending, but I'm not going to be bringing any kits down to display. I may have something at Fanimecon, but it won't be a plastic kit.
ulnhyrr

UPDATE! Got the times and locations for the model workshops:

"Gundam Models & Resin Building Seminar: Basics"
Friday, June 29
Workshops 1 (LBCC 104C)
1:30 PM - 3:30 PM

"Gundam Models & Resin Building Seminar: Advanced Techniques"
Saturday, June 30
Workshops 2 (LBCC 103)
3:30 PM - 5:30 PM

"Gundam Models & Resin Building Seminar: Start to Finish"
Sunday, July 1
Workshops 2 (LBCC 103)
1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
PlasticFrog

ulnhyrr, could you give a short summary of what each workshop is going to cover? Or rather, what kind of skill level one should be at in order to get the most out of each?

I want to see if I can get my friends to go, but I want to know a little bit more.

Thanks. :)
ulnhyrr

0 skill level beginning with the first one on Friday. The second seminar builds on the first one. It's not a workshop in the traditional sense that you are actually physically working on something. I wouldn't be able to show off 1/8th of the cool things someone can do in model building.

I run at the pace of the crowd, I stop and answer questions. Granted it goes by fairly quickly, because it's a TON of information crammed in the short period of time, but I have the tutorials available online and on dvd's that I'll have with me at the event. I just hope that the seminar is enough to entice folks to just jump in and build.

The goal I have is to explain how things are done and show how easy the steps are. If you've seen the tutorials, that I put up on bittorrent, then it's just running through that and having me explain each picture and stuff :) Does this answer your question?
PlasticFrog

Yep, I think I get it. Thanks. :)

Also, if someone who's not a newbie but also not particularly advanced (i.e. me) could attend only one day, would you suggest the 2nd day workshop or the 3rd day one?

Thanks again. 8)
ulnhyrr

The second day has most of the advanced topics. Third day will focus on resin figures. And possibly go over other things from the previous days.

Hell, I recommend going to all three :) Always something new to learn. :) At least that's what some of the modelers who I feel are better than I have said when they sat through my presentation.
PlasticFrog

Unfortunately I don't think I can attend all three days. :|

Anyway, I just found AX event directory PDF on AX site..., and I looked up your workshop. It looks like I might actually want to go to your first one. Get the basics down real good, you know? :)
ulnhyrr

Heh, entirely up to you. Attend where you can. :) I was looking at the schedule too and there are somethings I want to attend as well that I cannot because of the commitment to the workshop. Oh well.

1 more week.
ulnhyrr

AX come and gone, got to meet a few people from a couple of message boards. Here are some pictures:
http://gamerabaenre.com/ax_2007.htm
Derringer

ulnhyrr wrote:AX come and gone, got to meet a few people from a couple of message boards. Here are some pictures:
http://gamerabaenre.com/ax_2007.htm
LOL. When I saw that guy in the last picture earlier today I was wondering if you had seen him!
ulnhyrr

Hmm.. and I thought you were not going to make it?

Did you get to any of my workshops? Or check out the model contest? You totally should have entered it. The "Stock Mecha" category had 2 mecha kits there....

I expect a kit from you if you go next year! :lol:
Derringer

I came only on Monday of all days, which only had the Momoi concert and the Transformers movie -_-
ulnhyrr

Blah... of all the days to come :)

I actually met a really cool person from Concord on monday. Ended up sitting in the guy's booth and hanging out with him talking about model building. The guy enjoys building figures.

SO, anyone from this meesage board come up to my workshop? My memory's a little fuzzy, so I'm not quite sure if you made mention that you were from this board or not. I meet Duo just by wandering around Sunday night, scheduling and the logistical layout of the con wasn't too forgiving for hitting up the model contest and some of the workshops....

I look forward to making some major updates to my workshop materials for next year.
Duo

*cough*

It wasn't this Duo though.. i wish I could have made it out there.. but alas I did not... :?
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
ulnhyrr

Heh.. everyone uses rehashes of the same names from various gundam series.. hard to tell who's who.. :) But I did meet A "duo" :lol:
bluemax151

I didn't get a chance to make it but I did hit up the Gundam Experience panel.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
ulnhyrr

Yeah, I chose piss poor times for my workshop this year. I'll remedy that by pushing it to start around 5:30-6:00 PM and most folks should be free to attend the workshop at that time.