Panel lining with gundam marker (fine tip)

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
~SEED~

Panel lining with gundam marker (fine tip)

i came into the gunpla scene a few weeks ago after i watched loads of gundam series. I wanted something nice and big but cheap. so i went for a 1/60 force impulse real detail witch i finished a couple weeks back. i am now thinking of panel lining the model. As a begginer shall I do this?

and now for complete off topicness.:
i built my first gunpla at the age of six after i watched wing. it was endless waltz wing zero i think.. all i have left of it is the v-fin.. :(

AGH! i really regret spending my money on 1/144 destiny... shoulda got strike noir. Money doesnt come by easily when your 12...
Last edited by ~SEED~ on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I look back at old posts and sigh as I see how freakin immature i was...
Mwulf

All I have left of my old Wing models are the heads...

Buy a gundam marker or use a narrow, 1mm permanent marker and draw the lines with your hands steady.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
"Kamille! Kamille!

Use an eraser to get rid of excess lining. Takes a bit of scrubbing but it works.
Duo

[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]Use an eraser to get rid of excess lining. Takes a bit of scrubbing but it works.[/quote]

For what? Gundam or permanent marker?

They do make a Gundam Marker Remover And it works decently well on the small amounts of excess... but I have yet to try it on a large area surface... but I have an Idea that might work.... gonna play around with it tomorrow or something to see if it does work.
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
~SEED~

a rubber eraser or what? :oops:
I look back at old posts and sigh as I see how freakin immature i was...
"Kamille! Kamille!

Duo wrote:[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]Use an eraser to get rid of excess lining. Takes a bit of scrubbing but it works.

They do make a Gundam Marker Remover And it works decently well on the small amounts of excess... but I have yet to try it on a large area surface... but I have an Idea that might work.... gonna play around with it tomorrow or something to see if it does work.[/quote]

I use a normal drawing eraser to erase Gundam marker. It works fine but can take some paint with it sometimes so watch out.
PlasticFrog

As "Kamille! Kamille! says, a regular eraser works just fine erasing panel lining mistakes. I got a nice soft eraser from an art supply store ($1.50 or something. Expensive for an eraser maybe, but really, it's a chump change), and it's been serving me quite well. I would stay away from those rough erasers on the back of a pencil, obviously. :D

For me, the pencil eraser doesn't work as well on a painted surface though.

I've also used a nail-polish remover with a cotton swab to erase panel-lining and Gundam Marker painting mistakes. I used it because it was something that was already in my household, and it works nicely, but I don't recommend it. The acetone in the nail-polish remover seems rather too strong for the plastic, and I think it melts the plastic ever so slightly, causing the paint that I'm trying to remove to slightly stain the plastic. It's more of a very subtle discoloration than a full-on "stain," and I probably wouldn't notice it unless I was specifically looking for it, but that's enough to not recommend it.

Ethyl rubbing alcohol also does the trick, and that one does not seem to melt the plastic. For the same amount of money, you can get much larger quantity of rubbing alcohol than nail-polish remover, so it's a win-win. :)
Most recently purchased: MG Hyper Mode God Gundam
Most recently finished: SD Verde Buster
Supposedly working on: HG Exia + Astraea
lalahsghost

Duo wrote:[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]Use an eraser to get rid of excess lining. Takes a bit of scrubbing but it works.

They do make a Gundam Marker Remover And it works decently well on the small amounts of excess... but I have yet to try it on a large area surface... but I have an Idea that might work.... gonna play around with it tomorrow or something to see if it does work.[/quote] It's basically a thinned down version of rubbing alcohol~
MechaWyvern

I've been using the fine tip gundam markers for a while, and the best way I've found to do it is to paint the line, let it set for about 10 seconds, and then go over it with a wet finger. It sounds simple, but it really works. I'm working on my MG Hi-Nu right now using that technique and its looking great so far.
Zeta Gelgoog

I like to use a Gundam marker (but I think any marker would work) and take a q tip, dip one end into paint thinner and gently go over the lines with it, and then take the other side of the q tip (the dry side) and go over it again to get the excess thinner off.
This Space For Rent.
abrahamsen0

Don"t use paint thinner or anything that strong. I used something like that I bought at a hobby store and it melted my model. If anything I am going to try the eraser and alcohol. And I wouldn"t put your money on the Gundam Marker eraser either.
Samster

Re: Panel lining with gundam marker (fine tip)

~SEED~ wrote:AGH! i really regret spending my money on 1/144 destiny... shoulda got strike noir. Money doesnt come by easily when your 12...
I'm not quite sure which 1/144 Destiny you have or what you don't like about it but the HGGS Destiny was pretty awesome in my books especially for having the wings of light.
She's right Marge, the pants are a dead giveaway.
Derringer

If you're panel lining on bare plastic, the sharpie + eraser trick works.

However, if you've painted, you need to have the surface be glossy in order to do this, or a wash.
BlackOpsElf

I use Pigma Micron Archival Ink Pens. You can get them in most art stores; they are an industry standard in terms of comic art, but cheap enough that amateur artists like myself can afford them. They are waterproof and fade-proof, and come in various sizes. I usually use the 01 and 02 sizes for fine panel lines, and the 05 for the really big panels.

The advantage of these over Gundam markers is that they cost less and can be bought in almost any store that sells art supplies. The disadvantages of these are that the tips can wear down if you don't know how to use them properly (apply a light touch with the tip) and that they aren't designed explicitly for gunpla kits.