Need some recommendations

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Duo

Need some recommendations

Ok.. so my Bday is coming up on Wednesday... I doubt anyone has gotten me any kits to put together this year.

I'm going to be getting some supplies from Gundamshop and whatnot, and they have a sale goign on, so I'll be getting a 1/144th scale NG (I presume) Strike Gundam for llike $2 more. So can someone give me some recommendations for either a few HGUC 1/144th scales or a cheaper (price wise) 1/100 MG... I'm thinking about a $30ish USD range. I'm up for almost anything as long as it's in that proce range.

Thanks in advance for your recommandations.
Last edited by Duo on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
"Kamille! Kamille!

First MG I did in 5 years was the Gundam Ground Type and it was fantastic. Got it for $32 from gundamstoreandmore.com. Lots of accessories and built like a traditional "pre-2.0" MG. Very good quality. Looks cool. I painted mine in a white-grayish color as seen in the anime with a darker blue for the chest, did some weathering, gunmetal joints... looks awesome. Highly recommended. God Gundam is great too, and despite its poseability flaws, I love the original Zaku (should be ~$27). STAY AWAY FROM THE NT-1 ALEX if you have a thing for MS with arms. Far oversized shoulder joint covers which make it near impossible for the arms to stay attached or moved in any way + seams + looseness + looks like crap unpainted + etc = no.

As far as HGUCs go, I don't own any newer ones. I haven't come across a bad one yet though. It's all up to what MS design you like, and remember that the newer they are, the more poseable they will be. Most of the old ones come with hardly any accessories (the Hizack only comes with one gun, that's it), although this depends a bit on the weapons loadout of the actual MS. For example, the Dom Tropen sand brown comes with a raketen, 4 sturm fausts, a 90mm MP, two extra bazooka ammo clips, 2 extra 90mm ammo clips, and a heat saber.

dalong.net will show you everything. Click "HGUC" or "MG" at the top.
Last edited by "Kamille! Kamille! on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravager

For 30US$,you could get a Powered GM and a Hazel Custom.Those are excellent kits,and even Dalong sung high praises for the Hazel Custom's quality.

I just got myself the Powered GM,and i liked it a lot.It's cheap but comes with a lot of weapons and you could give it a variety of poses to show off its cool bulky form.
Duo

Alright so I've been looking around, and I have one question...

WTF is up with the prices on the RX- 93 Nu Gundam? I've seen it for $60+ USD in MG 1/100th, but this 1/100 Nu is only $30... is it just the HG 1/100th scale?

@Kami: My first (and only ATM) MG 1/100 was the Ez8, and I love it... I got a HG 1/100 Deathscythe H bit later and it's just not as fun to put together. I'll take a look at the Ground Gundam tomorrow, although it'd be like putting together the Ez8 again :p.

@Ravager: Which site were you looking at for your recommendations?
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
Samster

Yeah that's the old 1/100 Full Action Nu. As for recommendations for HGUC I would recommend the Powered GM or one of the Hazels. As for MG's in the price range you've listed, I would say the Nemo would be a good choice.
She's right Marge, the pants are a dead giveaway.
"Kamille! Kamille!

Duo wrote:Alright so I've been looking around, and I have one question...

WTF is up with the prices on the RX- 93 Nu Gundam? I've seen it for $60+ USD in MG 1/100th, but this 1/100 Nu is only $30... is it just the HG 1/100th scale?

@Kami: My first (and only ATM) MG 1/100 was the Ez8, and I love it... I got a HG 1/100 Deathscythe H bit later and it's just not as fun to put together. I'll take a look at the Ground Gundam tomorrow, although it'd be like putting together the Ez8 again :p.

@Ravager: Which site were you looking at for your recommendations?
Don't get the Ground Gundam if you already have the Ez-8. It's pretty much the same thing. Go in a different direction.
Gone Astray

For HGUC models, I'd suggest any of the Hazels (although the Advanced Hazel has more accessories than the Hazel Custom and can be converted into it) and the Zaku I. The Guncannon MP Type is rather nice, especially for its price, as are the RX-78 kits and virtually any GM.

Alternatively, if you were willing to go closer to $40, you could get the Aile Strike MG. I have the Strike + I.W.S.P., and the Strike itself is rather nice. Plus, the Aile Strike has that neat stand that won't tip over when you attach the Strike to it.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
Duo

Any comments on the 1/100th MG Spiegel? I've never gotten a G-Gundam kit or action figure before... and Always liked the Spiegel in the series, but wanted to hear if anyone had ever built it before and their comments.
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
Ravager

Ultimately,it's your call.I suggested the Hazel Custom,Gone Astray suggested the Advanced Hazel,but i prefer the white paintjob myself since it's a refreshing change from the usual Titans midnight blue colours.And with your budget,getting the Advanced Hazel leaves you with few cash,that is why i suggest 2 mid-range HGUCs instead of the higher-ends.

Guncannon MP Type's great too for the price and quality and the variety of gimmicks.
Metal Legend
Location: Going all Reservoir Dogs on Kira in a warehouse in London

Got the MG spiegel for my sis when she was still into Gundam...she finally gone all girly now...still likes Gundam a bit though.

Anyway the spiegel is a nice kit needs a bit of glue in places like the v fin and hands as they tend to come apart. Excellent possability and balance and you get those loverly swords which need a bit of silver to look there best.

Nice Kit, couple of easily lots parts...the yellow bits on the chest...GLUE THEM.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane - Philip k. Dick
Ravager

Wow,you have a sis who was into Gundam?Now that's cool!
Kittie Rose

With the amount of time you'll spend painting them, you may as well pay extra for a high grade. The Aile Strike looks pretty good, I've yet to build it, it needs some painting(shield needs gold on it, but when you do it looks really nice.
Metal Legend
Location: Going all Reservoir Dogs on Kira in a warehouse in London

We got into wing at the same time when we lived in the states...she loved the pretty boys i loved the mecha.

And when i picked up G Gundam and Zata a couple of years back I got her into G as well, bought her the MG spiegel when she was 15 cos she loved arts and craft and building stuff...she takes enginering and art now : ) Very Proud

She more into DeathNote, Naruto and such now but she still wacthes anime with me when i pop down from Uni to see my family.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane - Philip k. Dick
Duo

Ok.. so some of the things I had planned fell through... my check I thought was more turned out to be a hell of a lot less then I had planned.. so I got stick just getting the tools and the NG 1/144th Strike...

Now I'm saving up what I have now and for the next check or two, so now I need a recommendation on a 1/100th MG. Or even 2 of them if possible.

I'd prefer not to spend over $60ish (shipping not included).

Things I've looked at so far:
#1 - Hi Nu Gundam (if there are any left instock when I have the money)
#2 - God Gundam and Gundam Spegiel
#3 - Nu Gundam
#4 - Kämpfer

Any other suggestions or even comments on the ones I've listed would be great ^^
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
Ravager

The MGs you've listed are pretty good.Just to give you more options,you should look into the Strike Noir and Cossbone Full Cloth MGs.I got a Full Cloth last week myself and it's a fun experience building it.And they shouldn't cost more than 50USD individually(without shipping,at least that's the prices i get at my local store)
Duo

Kittie Rose wrote:With the amount of time you'll spend painting them, you may as well pay extra for a high grade. The Aile Strike looks pretty good, I've yet to build it, it needs some painting(shield needs gold on it, but when you do it looks really nice.
Is this the one you mean?

Unfortunaltely when they started running Seed in the states I was on the late night shift and never got to see any of it... so I feel outta the loop on Seed, but I am trying to catch up with it.. just taking some time..

And this is bad.. I've looked at everything people have suggested and I want this all... >.< I like the Strike Nor, Crossbone Full cloth and Ver Ka, and the Freedom Gundam... I might just save up for a couple of months and get them all... >.<
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
Ravager

Metal Legend wrote:
We got into wing at the same time when we lived in the states...she loved the pretty boys i loved the mecha.

And when i picked up G Gundam and Zata a couple of years back I got her into G as well, bought her the MG spiegel when she was 15 cos she loved arts and craft and building stuff...she takes enginering and art now : ) Very Proud

She more into DeathNote, Naruto and such now but she still wacthes anime with me when i pop down from Uni to see my family.
I wish i had a sister.And that sister was into Gundam.You're real lucky there!

@Duo:I think he means the HG Aile Strike Gundam.There's two sizes there,but i got my own 1/100,and i'm very happy with it.Except the lack of foldable wings,the kit's great!You should plan which MG you're getting each time you're going.They'll always restock,so don't worry if you don't get em' all one time round.Now the Ver.Ka,that's cheap for an MG.Very.While the Freedom costs a bomb.