Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Wolfeh

Hello i am wanting to start my modeling journey im wanting to get into the detail side and want to really spend some time creating a scene of 2 models but being new to this i was thinking of starting with a 1/100 master grade but it is a bit pricey and whats the best tools to get to jump stright in
SetsunaYusuno

Re: Newbie

Hi it's awesome to see someone starting up with building model kits and me myself am starting too but from what I've seen using an x acto knife is good for clearing away extra plastic and I wouldn't really start with a master grade if I was just starting ( but what do I know you probably do know what your doing more then I do lol) but anyways I'm starting with with couple of high grades and I plan on combining them but at the very moment I'm not sure how I would want to combine them but it could be a better idea to start with 1/144 high grades or real grades due to the lower cost value and if your looking to build the master grade because of the inner frame then I would suggest going with a real grade maybe the mobile suit your trying to build is there or maybe there is a suit that you like and all in all the real grade look really nice too
SetsunaYusuno

Oh and also be carful with the x acto knife they are really sharp :P
Mikhail

@Wolfeh: I'm in the same boat as you my friend I have my eyes set on the MG RX 78-2 One year war edition. But I decided to give to High grades a shot first. I'm building the build burning gundam from try fighters and the dynames from 00 in homage to my sniper brethren Lockon Stratos. I'll set up links when I finally finish but im really excited for the build. As a fellow newb falling into gunpla I look forward to seeing your creations as well.
Kratos

If you're just starting and really want to get into painting and detailing and stuff like that, I'd start with High Grade kits. They're less expensive, making them easy to experiment and get creative on, and there's a much wider variety of kits available. They require more effort to look good, but if you think about it, that only lets you develop your skills better before moving up to Master Grade.

Tools depend on what exactly you're looking to do. Water-base acrylic paints (Tamiya and Mr. Color being the popular brands), marking pens for panel lines, clippers, and an exacto knife and/or a file are basically the bare minimum*. There are several great tutorial sites kicking around the net that can get a lot more specific, but that's generally what you need starting out.

--------------

*If you're painting a whole kit, rather than just a few bits of it here and there, you'll likely want to look into an airbrush of some kind (or spray cans, which give you less control and require greater skill to use well but are much cheaper), as well as primer and topcoat.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Random_GM_Pilot

Master Grades are more expensive of course. If that's not your concern though, MGs are fine. Unless you're an idiot, there's nothing difficult about them since they have clear instructions, same as any other gunpla and a lot of them require less detail work to look good than HGs. Not sure MG is a move "up" at all unless you love Zakus to death. My early kits were MGs, and the size can be good for experimenting as well since details are larger, and now I mostly do HG detailing. Basically, just buy whatever MS you like. And for the love of all that is good in the world, don't use stickers. They're a crutch for the worst of the worst modelers. Even if you do a paintjob very badly, you'll at least learn from it.
SHIHO: This is Codename “Background”. Codenames “Lenny” and “Carl” are suitably distracted. Begin the operation.
Mimeblade

I'm still a relative newbie (though I made the haughty mistake of buying a PG Wing Zero years ago... I built the thing but I couldn't do the electrical wiring for it).

I've been really in to building Wing Zero Custom kits (yes I know they have haters, I don't care I like the wings).

My current problem is I built an HG "Silver" Wing Zero Custom Special Operation kit, but it's missing the green core... I don't really know the name of the part but it's the green orb in the chest for the HG kit.

Do you guys know any places to get replacement parts? This part that's missing wasn't even in the box when I bought it at the anime con I went to.