RGM-79 (Ground Type) from RX-78 Gundam (Ground Type)

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
nortran11

RGM-79 (Ground Type) from RX-78 Gundam (Ground Type)

Hey Gundpla builders!

I have a thing for the mecha from 08th MS Team, and as a HG builder I have few options for the Federated forces so I am thinking of scratch building/kit bashing.

I have the Ez8 and a Rx-78 Ground Type from the Ground War set. I would love to add a GM and maybe even a Sniper, but aside from the horrible older "HG" kits, none exist. I have got my hands on a couple extra Ground War boxes.

I was looking at some line art of the GM and the lower half of the mecha looks to be the same as the RX-78, even the same waist unit. The arms are the same....the biggest difference seems to be in the head (obviously) and the torso. I've got a few GM heads from the Ground War boxes. Unless I am missing something, the torso just looks like I need remove the vulcan and multi launcher from the chest and add a matching vent and sculpt a new backpack

Anything you all can think I am missing?
SpideyWing

Re: RGM-79 (Ground Type) from RX-78 Gundam (Ground Type)

So, from what I am reading, you want to take a HGUC Gundam Ground Type, and with some parts from the older HG GM Ground Type kit, turn it into a HGUC GM Ground Type?

With that idea in mind, I looked over the instruction manuals (and lineart of the suits) and took note of the things that are changed between the GM Ground Type and the Gundam Ground Type: The front skirt armor, the torso, the head, and the backpack.

The head, being that it just connects with a polycap ball joint, looks to be the simplest part. Just plug the GM GT's head straight on without any alterations, and you'd be done.

The torso and backpack are a different matter, though. My best suggestion would be to remove the vulcan and multi-launcher like you noted, but you should be able to just cut the pegs off the GM GT's backpack and glue it onto the Gundam.

Finally, for the skirt armor, I can see two ways you could work it in; the first one would be to use the GM GT's skirt assembly with the appropriate polycap inserted into the GGT's lower torso instead of the one in the instructions. The other method would be to try to glue the GM GT's front skirt armor into the lower torso assembly on the Gundam.

That's just my take, though. I hope it helps, and if I can't offer any assistance, maybe some of the more experienced modellers here can.
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!
nortran11

The head is real easy. The Ground War box comes with two GM heads, so no work needed there.

After I posted this, I realized the front skirt is off. The Gundam GT is a little more ornate while the GM GT is pretty much just flat.

I have one of the old GM snipers and the skirt itself looks the same, it's the center "crotch" area. I think some careful cuts with a razor saw and then sanding flat and smooth, and then filling with Green Stuff as needed to recreate the flat area of the skirt.

I like the suggestion for the backpack.....I was thinking about sculpting a new one out of Super Sculpey. Your idea sounds MUCH easier!
Dark Duel

I actually can't help there, because my only custom model project to date that wasn't a simple part swap...well, ended up doing a simple part swap for the waist. Also, it was a Master Grade, which gave me a lot more flexibility in that area (The torso/backpack and certain weapons, plus the head, were the ones that I concentrated on as far as doing any major remodeling work).

But Spidey's backpack suggestion is exactly what I ended up doing with the V-Fin on mine; filed off the pegs on the V-Fin, a little very fine sandpaper to make sure it's completely smooth, and then simply carefully glue it on and make sure it's straight. It's pretty easy(probably would be easier for you than it was in my case), the result looks great, and it's a lot less time-consuming than sculpting custom parts from scratch.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
nortran11

I'm going to get working on it.

I'll post some pics of my progress