Kabaya Candy Toys,

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Silver_August

Kabaya Candy Toys,

Well I did a big favor for a friend of mine and to make it up to me she said she'd buy me something so I was looking around and came across a site that has the Kabaya Candy Toy fortress maximus for a price that feels right...enough,. 30 bucks for the set of 3.

I post this topic though because I'm wondering... does anyone have experience with Kabaya candy toys? what are they like? plastic quality? build quality, ...sticker application and sticker quality, are there others I should invest in?

and if anyone knows about Fort Max in particular, is it a good purchase? Or should I go with option B, being a NG Blue-Frame Astray...since the MG is way too much for me...

Also, what's the gum like? lol because I'll be honest when I first heard of Candy Toy i thought it meant that tis candy molded to look like the toys and kids could...play before they eat? I dunno, its japan! I didn't realize they were models!

Anyways, let me know and discuss!
Gone Astray

Re: Kabaya Candy Toys,

I don't have any experience with Kabaya in particular, but I can't imagine it's very much different from other candy toys. They're cheap and it shows. Plastic quality's cheaper than a regular model kit, the (sometimes numerous) stickers are cheap, and the overall effect is just kind of eh. But they're meant to be cheap things for kids, so they can be fun, especially as novelties; just don't go in expecting a whole lot. I would also say that $30 for just three is a bit steep, these things are meant to be cheapies sold in checkout aisles. Most go for something like ¥300. And are these new Fort Max kits? The only ones I knew of were from 1987, but I did hear there was another line of candy toys come out a year or two ago.

About the gum: Don't. Just don't. It's in there so the company can sell a cheap toy without getting taxed, as any item that includes food avoids certain taxes under Japanese law, and it's... mostly gumlike? You can chew it, sort of, but the gum from trading cards is more palatable. If it's from the 1987 kits, I'd say it probably hasn't aged at all in the last 25 years. Honestly, the sugar pellets they sometimes include are better, and those are basically sweetened chalk.

I'd say if you're after something substantial, go for the Blue Frame. If you're after an interesting story, go for the candy toys.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
Silver_August

Well I suppose its worth enlightening a bit further then about Fort Max in particular.

The set came out last year during the summer in a new "DX" line of candy toys, i don't know if they've done these before but this is the first time I personally heard of it because for Transformers fans it was a big deal since Fortress Maximus regularly goes on ebay for...god, nearly 1k if the set is complete.

The DX-Fort Max line was a set of 3 "play sets" each came with a separate piece of Fortress Maximus that you build, plus a little figure that could interact with the set. but all 3 together and you have roughly an 8 inch spot on replica of a 2ft transformer toy.

Based on reviews, no detail was skipped outside of lil cannons that flipped out of the top of the fists but no one really cares about that honestly.

As for the candy, I had no idea about that, so THAT'S why it comes with candy.. makes so much more sense now.

But yah, because they're from the DX line, apparently they cost like..double the ususal price, I've tried to find out what they would retail for in japan but nothing concrete. But yeah at this point my biggest concern is just...the quality of the plastic and the stickers because of the demographic its meant for, other Transformer Candy toys have seemed... alright, and the Fort Max reviews suggest that its better then Hasbro toys here lately.. and that's really sad on hasbro's part. but eh even if 30 is a fair price it still feels too steep considering...yah they usually go for 300 yen and I could buy a master grade Heavy Arms for roughly the same price before shipping. Or like I said, an NG Blue-Frame, but even then its impossible to find reviews of the NG and not the MG which I know is better but again...not in the budget.
Gone Astray

Ahh, okay, just looked those up. The Fort Max does look a good deal more substantial than most candy toys, but I can't imagine each set going for more than ¥800-900 apiece. Could be worth it if you really want a Fort Max, I can't imagine Takara reissuing that sucker any time soon.

There's a review for it on Dalong, plus a somewhat different review for the basic Gold Frame kit. I've got the Regen Duel; if it's any indicator of the line's overall quality, I'd say it's fairly average, all things considered. It's just going to be a scaled-up HG, so it could be prudent to wait for the coming 1/144 Blue Frame 2nd.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
Silver_August

The funny thing is from what I heard, Takara actually is (apparently, have to double check) doing a reissue of Fort Max, because reviews I've seen of the kabaya toy itself quote it basically as "a good substitute if you don't plan on getting the reissue" or something to that effect. And thankfully the value of this set has dropped because last year you'd have to pay like..50 for the set of 3.

I've just been wondering if...maybe the plastic quality has gotten better? I asked a friend of mine if he had experience with Kabaya and he did through the old Zoids kits which he says were total garbage and overpriced (typical for zoids it seems...)

What has me pondering most about Fort Max compared to other Kabaya toys is ho for once its a kit with a transformation that's an actual transformation and not just parts-forming so it's definitely one they seemed to have put more effort into. fitting considering its a DX.

As for the Blue Frame....eek, seeing all those missing paint apps is an instant turn off since in the year I've started getting Gunpla i got like...14 kits but i still consider myself an average builder, I don't go ahead to repaint entire kits since that requires way too much work....are we really getting an HG Second? Maybe I'll just hold out for that, lol

I'm also curious what the quality...and price of the Kabaya Super Sentai stuff is like... I'd imagine its about the same...but maybe cheaper because it doesn't have the iconic presense of being a mini-version of a 2ft toy lol
YokozunaBulldozer

Haven't bought one but I always liked the way they designed them.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER