For How Long Are New Kits Released After A Series End?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Gelgoog Jager

For How Long Are New Kits Released After A Series End?

I was wondering for how long after Gundam Age ends can we expect new model kits to come out?
I know that there are still DVDs and Blu-Rays to be released, but will model kits of the non-Gundam units of the series continue to come out as well? I do want to point out that I'm mainly interested in the Vagan MS, particularly grunt units, since the main title Gundams (and maybe a couple of antagonist units) will undoubtedly keep getting new model kits for years to come, even if no new media on the Age universe was to ever be released again.

Although I didn't quite like the show, I do liked most Vagan MS. However, I don't know if Age will remain a the focus of attention for long after the TV broadcasts end and afterwards with the DVD and Blu-Rays, particularly if no new media (manga, OVA, game, etc.) gives continuity to the Age universe. That would definitely mean that model kits that are not considered a priority might not come out at all (and right now they could partiucarly do so to make room for more UC OVA model kits).

By the way, in the case of Seed, do please take into account that although recently new Seed MS HG model kits came out (Bucue, Lagowe, Astray, etc), those are due to the remake of the series in HD, which is an unusual case.

I know it's an odd request, but I do would like to have an idea of for how long can I expect that some of the so far unreleased Vagan MS can still get a HG model kit.
duke4799

Re: For How Long Are New Kits Released After A Series End?

Well, let's take 00 into account. Not counting the movie or the movie related Gunpla, the last episode aired in Japan for the first time on March 29, 2009. The last 1/144 HG release that related to the TV series only (not the side story mangas or the movie) was the 1/144 HG Reborns Gundam Trans-AM mode hit the shelves in January of 2010. So by that example, about 9~10 months. Now if we go further and include the manga related releases we can bring it to July of 2010 with the HG Astrea.

Let's take SEED into account next. Not including the 10th anniversary stuff from this year, the last 1/144 HG release was Meteor Unit with Freedom Gundam in April, 2004. the anime ran through the end of September, 2003.

So, depending on how their HG sales are going, I would say there is still a shot we will get a couple more HG AGE releases in early 2013. I'm hoping for a HG Khronos at least. The only other Vagan unit I would want released would be the Fawn Farsia, the rest are either recolors or just so odd looking...

Hope that answers your question.
Until Next Time: Happy Building!
-Joe
Joe's Gunpla

Want to Buy LM Leo or Taurus from Gundam Wing, built or unbuilt! Willing to pay big!
Gelgoog Jager

Re: For How Long Are New Kits Released After A Series End?

Thanks for the information duke. You wouldn't happen to have the timing between the end of Seed Destiny and its last HG kit? Giving both Destiny's and AGE's bad receptions, their Gunpla lineup might also end up quite similar.

As for the what HG kits I was hoping for:

Recolors (high chance):

Zedas M
Jilsbain
Ghirarga Kai

Modified existing HG kit (possible):

Dorado L
Khronos
Fawn Farsia

New HG kit (unlikely):

Zeydalus
Gomel
Wrozzo

The first two classificatiosn are possible, maybe even as limited edition model kits. The last one is not that likely given that they are entirely different designs, particularly the Zeydalus. At least the Wrozzo and Gomel would share some parts, so if one comes out it's very likely the other will too.

One thing that I'm left wondering is if they will attempt to release a HG kit of the Vagan Gear, if for no other reason for it being the last boss of the series. That said, I'm not even sure exactly how much bigger the Vagan Gear is compared to a regular MS. Is there any official or unofficial height stat out there that might give us an idea of how big the model kit and its box would need to be?