EX Archangel Painting... Decisions Decisions...

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Compass

EX Archangel Painting... Decisions Decisions...

So, I have an EX 1/1700 Archangel that I'm... not quite sure what to do with.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10039386

The entire model is molded in flat white (did not quite expect that when I opened the box, but at 2K Yen, it was a steal).

I originally planned to do classic Archangel colors using spray for red and black and then going to town with Gundam markers for every other color and detailing.

Important Note: this is basically the first serious model I'm painting. I'm semi-worried I'll mess up, but... in the worst case, I could just use gray primer on the entire frame to start over... right?

That got me to thinking... what if I made it an entire dark metallic gunmetal color, similar to the limited edition which was coated in chrome silver. I'd spray paint the base black, I guess.

So... your thoughts? Do you think I should go for the classic Archangel paint job or for a metallic display look? I'm on the fence right now, and don't have spray cans for either color project.

--

Edit: Silly me. I realized that if I mess up with the former, I can do the latter as a backup plan. Crisis of faith averted!
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Gelgoog Jager

Re: EX Archangel Painting... Decisions Decisions...

If I were you I'll probably go for the classic... Dominion paint job. IMHO, I think the Dominion looks far better than the Archangel. I also prefer the antenna of the Dominion over the Archangel's. That's just my two cents.
Compass

I tried to like Dominion's Paint job. It just... doesn't seem right to me in terms of color balance, being so dark and all. What would I pick for the dark parts?

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/seed/dominion.jpg

I really never figured out whether it was dark blue or a flat gray.

Anyways, at some point I need to find a better gray for the catapult doors. The light gray marker I have is totally darker than advertised, almost Strike Gundam Dark Gray...

Matte Testors Red I got looks pretty sharp, so I've got that covered.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Gelgoog Jager

The link you provided in your first post included a gallery of the item, whose first image shows the kit painted in Dominion colors. I assumed the kit would at least provide the colors you would require to paint it that way, since it includes the antenna for the Dominion.
Compass

Well, it... sorta does... Unfortunately, there is no "diagram" for what should be painted what. Everything you see on the box cover is all I get for painting instructions, and I do believe there is, in Japanese, mixing instructions.

Unfortunately, no airbrush set, so mixing isn't really practical :(