My first Master Grade model

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
EleSigma

My first Master Grade model

So I've purchased my first MG model (MS-05b Zaku, it should be here next week) I've built Gunpla in the past (HGUC though) though this is my first time painting. So I'm a bit cautious with how I go about this heh.

What I want to know is, is there any kind of spray paint out there that doesn't require an airbrush attachment? Something like aerosol spray can primers and paints? I'm sure there has to be but I can't find anything.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Re: My first Master Grade model

They sell hobby paint like Tamiya in 8 oz spray cans, but I've also seen people use spray paint from hardware stores, like Krylon and Rustoleum. I myself use shellac-based primer from my local shop. Just be sure to spray on parts in short, passing bursts to get an even coat. And don't spray too close or too much.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Dark Duel

I've used both Tamiya and Krylon spray paints, and so far not had any trouble, but it depends.
The other recommendation I'd make: never paint joints. I've had joints end up breaking that way.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
EleSigma

I'm glad you said that about the joints since I was going to paint them originally.
pk-man
Location: receiving faxes in the washroom, on Deck 9 aboard White Base

The MG Zaku I is a variant of the OLD Zaku II 1.0 model, which came out in 1995, so don't expect much. I would say it is inferior to most of the recent HGUCs.
SNT1

Test fit the joints first; If it's a newer kit (which yours is not) chances are the pegs/balls in joints are pretty much zero-tolerance snug fit (sometimes the peg is slightly larger than the hole thanks to a very slight raised area in the surface of the peg); painting it with spray cans, which are on the thick side to begin with, will make it impossible to slide he peg into the hole. I use spray cans for painting the joints/internal details but I mask off the actual pegs, for example.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
EleSigma

Thank you for the tips, so I can paint the joints, just as long as I don't paint the peg. Also from pictures I've looked at the Zaku I doesn't have too much in terms of an inner frame so there isn't much to do there.

The model should be here by tomorrow and I'm pretty excited. I'll be sure to post pictures once I make some progress on it. (probably a while from now)
Red Comet90

I use Tamiya Spray Cans all the time, but the problem at the moment with them is that Tamiya isn't making them! Unfortunately this means a lot of their colors are sold out and they have been that way for months and months now. This is to blame on multiple things all occurring at once, so your best bet lies possibly in Krylon.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
EleSigma

Well I see my first problem, there is a seam line running up the middle of the head and I don't know how to go about fixing it. The problem is that the innerdome/head has a transparent visor piece and once I putty and glue the halves together there will be no other way of removing the innerdome. So when I go to paint I will not be able to remove the pieces from the inside and risk getting paint on the transparent visor unless I get extremely creative with masking tape.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Could you show the head parts to give a better idea?

Edit: No, scratch that. I'm looking over the head at Dalong's.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
EleSigma

G-Slayer wrote:Could you show the head parts to give a better idea?

Edit: No, scratch that. I'm looking over the head at Dalong's.
Aww, and I already took the pictures. XP

Anyways, apparently I'm not the only one with this problem as it seems to be a problem in the design. http://www.ebasenet.com/progress-ZAKU-1_p1.htm (scroll down towards the bottom) The person at this site had to cut some of the pieces so he could remove the inside pieces and put it back in after putting putty on the seam lines and painting the head. It looks like I might have to do the same, but I'm still looking for an alternative.

Edit, Meh I'll post the pictures anyway:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... CN0732.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... CN0729.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... CN0724.jpg

Also I went out and got my paints, glue and putty today, I actually found Tamiya at my local hobby store, but I also bought two cans of "Testors" spray enamel. Anyway with Tamiya I have primer, Gunship Grey for the inner parts, British Green for the green armor parts and Deep Metalic blue for the blue/black armor parts. As for Testors I have flat black and graphite grey metallic.

As for the glue and putty I got Testors cement for plastic and Squadron Tools white putty.

Has anyone used Testors brand?