size that matters...

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Shinji_Shinigami

size that matters...

Well i wanna get my hands on my first gunpla soon, so i wonder what the best type of model would be.

If i add more gunpla over the time i personally would prefer if all modes were the same size, so i wonder what size (1/144 or 1/100 or something else?) has the most variety and still best quality?

Thanks for helping a guy who is going to drop into the deep water of gunpla :P
Sume Gai

Re: size that matters...

There is no definitive answer. Both scales have their share of ups d downs. 1/144 Generally has the largest degree of variety and good to excellent engineering besides (at least in newer kits). the High Grade line boasts an impressive and ever growing array of MS. While the new Real Grade line looks to be some of the highest quality engineerimng yet despite it's current slim selection.

1/100 has it's own natural advantages as well Being home to what I consider one of Bandai's most consistently amazing lines, Master Grade. cutting edge engineering, near unrivaled color separation and the most extensive gimmick recreation, at a higher price. There is extra variety in the seemingly dying 1/100 No Grade line but still not as much as the 1/144 lines.

In the end it's a matter of taste, if you want more kits of good - great quality go with 1/144. If you want kits of consistently great quality and gimmick recreation that look good with little painting, check out 1/100. of course even then one should consider the age of a kit as well a recent High Grade is generally better than a late 90s-early 00s Master Grade.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
GlauG

If it's variety, 1/144 is the way to go, since that also includes things like the EX-models, LM kits, as well as a wide range of B-club resins et al... And I say that as a guy hardcore committed to 1/100. :)
/( ‿‿ )\
Apsalas

Stick to 1/144th HG...good way to start.

Newer HG are excellent quality... have a look a http://www.dalong.net/
“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
― Philip K. Dick

"It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane."
- Philip K. Dick
Raiden

I'd stick with HG 1/144's. If you jump straight into MG 1/100's without prior experience in modeling and what not and if you mess it up you'll regret spending that 60 bucks. At least HG's when your a beginner seem more reasonable (usually the 15-20 dollar range).
Shinji_Shinigami

I see, thanks for all the advise. I think i will stick to the 1/144's for the beginning
Random_GM_Pilot

Raiden wrote:I'd stick with HG 1/144's. If you jump straight into MG 1/100's without prior experience in modeling and what not and if you mess it up you'll regret spending that 60 bucks. At least HG's when your a beginner seem more reasonable (usually the 15-20 dollar range).
It baffles me when people act as if MGs are in any way difficult. My first kit was an MG GM Quel, and I had no problems. As long as you aren't stupid and know how to read step-by-step illustrated instructions, you won't have any unfortunate surprises. That's true of every bit of gunpla basically from the 90s and onward. It's just a matter of time due to number of parts.

Anyway, I stick almost exclusively to 1/144 kits myself. You can't beat the variety, and they're getting better all the time. It's especially good if you like grunt MS, or are into squad building.
SHIHO: This is Codename “Background”. Codenames “Lenny” and “Carl” are suitably distracted. Begin the operation.