Upcoming Models, Merch, & Rumors XI

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Raiden

Re: Upcoming Models, Merch, & Rumors XI

LOL looks like the HG 1/144 Strike will be getting a grand slam which is exclusive for hobby magazines next April.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8EVMHurhbPw/T ... 600/12.jpg

honestly though, they may as well just pack this with a Sword/Launcher Strike if that ever comes down their way.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Jak Crow wrote:I don't know. Normally we would have seen the NGs of the 00 movie a year ago, and there's nothing in the pipe for any series now. I would have loved to get the other 00 Gundams in 1/100, but they've only been released in 1/144. This is a noticeable change from a couple years ago.
I think its because the non-MG 1/100 models don't sell well anymore. I remember hearing that SEED and Destiny also had this problem.
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
Jaynz

Hi_Nu_Gundam wrote:I think its because the non-MG 1/100 models don't sell well anymore. I remember hearing that SEED and Destiny also had this problem.
I remember it being more of a price/cost issue. Since GunPla is all petroleum product, we're looking at a lot of cost increases in recent years which have really ramped up the prices of the kits (the larger the kits, the greater the increases). Also, since SEED, the HG kits have been better and better, so you're getting model quality at 1/144 that you only used to see at 1/100.
lobster

Jaynz wrote:
Hi_Nu_Gundam wrote:I think its because the non-MG 1/100 models don't sell well anymore. I remember hearing that SEED and Destiny also had this problem.
I remember it being more of a price/cost issue. Since GunPla is all petroleum product, we're looking at a lot of cost increases in recent years which have really ramped up the prices of the kits (the larger the kits, the greater the increases). Also, since SEED, the HG kits have been better and better, so you're getting model quality at 1/144 that you only used to see at 1/100.
Hi, I've been quite confused with this since the Yen has been rising so that should offset the material costs a bit, cuz oil is traded is US$. However, I do agree that if the cost of plastic gets bigger and bigger weight compared to the cost of engineering/design, then it makes more cents to sell small, advanced 1/144 HG kits than big, simple 1/100 NG kits.
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"
kayone73

lobster wrote: Hi, I've been quite confused with this since the Yen has been rising so that should offset the material costs a bit, cuz oil is traded is US$. However, I do agree that if the cost of plastic gets bigger and bigger weight compared to the cost of engineering/design, then it makes more cents to sell small, advanced 1/144 HG kits than big, simple 1/100 NG kits.

Agreed it makes more

1. dollars & cents

2. good sense as well from a financial standpoint
Jaynz

lobster wrote:Hi, I've been quite confused with this since the Yen has been rising so that should offset the material costs a bit, cuz oil is traded is US$.
It's macro-economics, which this board isn't big enough to handle at length. The best way to look at is that petroleum has been rising heavily over the past couple of years (thus dramatically increasing plastic prices) above and beyond what an increase in the relative value of the Yen would compensate.
However, I do agree that if the cost of plastic gets bigger and bigger weight compared to the cost of engineering/design, then it makes more cents to sell small, advanced 1/144 HG kits than big, simple 1/100 NG kits.
Cents, indeed. But it's just simple economic sense. If the 1/144 quality has improved as much as it has, then the main point against them has largely faded. Meanwhile, they've been kept relatively cheap while the 1/100 has gotten much more expensive. Just seems like easy logic to me.
wilcosu35

i'm going against the stream here and say that, while i like them both, i strongly prefer the TV wing gundams over their katoki redesigns. i think the katoki versions are just a bit too stylish and unrealistic,i like the blocky tv versions better.
thus i would love to have MG versions of them (of the katoki versions as well, mind you), not just wing gundam because it was the title suit
firefox

wilcosu35 wrote:i'm going against the stream here and say that, while i like them both, i strongly prefer the TV wing gundams over their katoki redesigns. i think the katoki versions are just a bit too stylish and unrealistic,i like the blocky tv versions better.
thus i would love to have MG versions of them (of the katoki versions as well, mind you), not just wing gundam because it was the title suit
I agree, i want a MG TV wing zero !, I don't mind the stylish KA designs, but they don't give me that "WANT!!!!" feeling. Also i thing they should make a MG from something else then wing now. I preached for years that i wanted more wing MG's but this is overkill!
In the end, nothing remains
SNT1

The 1/100 lines has lately been the midgrade fuel of the gunpla world. No one uses midgrade fuel :roll: .

Granted, I still buy 1/100 kits from time to time, but on robots that have a HG 1/144, a 1/100, and an MG, I would go for either HG or MG (most of the time MG). Wouldn't even bat an eye on the 1/100.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
kayone73

SNT1 wrote:The 1/100 lines has lately been the midgrade fuel of the gunpla world. No one uses midgrade fuel :roll: .

Granted, I still buy 1/100 kits from time to time, but on robots that have a HG 1/144, a 1/100, and an MG, I would go for either HG or MG (most of the time MG). Wouldn't even bat an eye on the 1/100.
Yeah it has become a figurative red headed stepchild. For MG size, many modellers wants MG level detail n articulation, while those who want HG want cheaper prices are more compact kits. It's a shame they are fading out because they do fill a role, but I personally can't help but wish every 1/100 NG kit I see was built as a MG level, but I understand for cost and development complexity, its just not feasbile to make them all MGs.
SNT1

I think there's a possibility that Bandai can revisit non-lead 1/100 Gundams and make Master Grades out of it. I, for one, never would have thought Bandai would follow through and actually make MG Sandrock and Heavyarms (even if they're Ka redesigns). Maybe this upcoming SEED jolt may get us some more SEED MGs like the Justice, Providence, or heck even the Aegis.

Or maybe even a Freedom 2.0. (I mean, it does have the fanbase that only the White Devil and the Red Comet units can beat)
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
kayone73

SNT1 wrote:I think there's a possibility that Bandai can revisit non-lead 1/100 Gundams and make Master Grades out of it. I, for one, never would have thought Bandai would follow through and actually make MG Sandrock and Heavyarms (even if they're Ka redesigns). Maybe this upcoming SEED jolt may get us some more SEED MGs like the Justice, Providence, or heck even the Aegis.

Or maybe even a Freedom 2.0. (I mean, it does have the fanbase that only the White Devil and the Red Comet units can beat)
I have a feeling that the Bandai accountants are keeping the company from producing too many MGs of secondary MS (even some lead villain ones) because they won't meet projected sales numbers to make up for the initial production costs.

Let's face it, take away the smart individuals and as a whole, consumers are pretty dumb (the popularity of Strike Freedom is a good example of this) and theres a reason Bandai has been able to sell multiple versions of the same, popular suits (RX78 classics, or mult version of Strike Freedom and giving Freedom the relative snub and ignoring MG treatment for good villain suits like you pointed out).

It's sad.
Jaynz

kayone73 wrote:I have a feeling that the Bandai accountants are keeping the company from producing too many MGs of secondary MS (even some lead villain ones) because they won't meet projected sales numbers to make up for the initial production costs.
Don't forget that re-use is also a factor. Making an MS06 kit, for instance, could mean future re-purposing for a large number of Zaku-based kits, with the obvious Char variant, the Zaku Cannon, and so on. (This naturally also applies to the GM, and even the original Gundam).
Let's face it, take away the smart individuals and as a whole, consumers are pretty dumb (the popularity of Strike Freedom is a good example of this) and theres a reason Bandai has been able to sell multiple versions of the same, popular suits (RX78 classics, or mult version of Strike Freedom and giving Freedom the relative snub and ignoring MG treatment for good villain suits like you pointed out).
You obviously never read 'How to Win Friend and Influence People'. Just because there are a larger number of Gundam fans that like MSs that you don't doesn't make them 'stupid' or you somehow magically 'superior'.

Bandai, for its part, would be foolish not to make kits that are likely solid-seller and instead try to make expensive MG suits for a handful of fans that really have to have that obscure Hamma-Hamma variant. While it may somehow prove someone's ennui to constantly crap on Bandai's profit motive for producing kits try to remember that if they didn't, we would have no Gundam at all.
kayone73

Jaynz wrote:
You obviously never read 'How to Win Friend and Influence People'. Just because there are a larger number of Gundam fans that like MSs that you don't doesn't make them 'stupid' or you somehow magically 'superior'.
We're discussing gunpla, I'm not trying to win popularity contests. Also, nobody is superior here, no need to go off topic.
Raiden

what do ya know, best guess is Justice. Wouldn't mind a Freedom 2.0 either.
Jaynz

Raiden wrote:what do ya know, best guess is Justice. Wouldn't mind a Freedom 2.0 either.
Slim chances, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Windam finally getting a model kit. But I guess since that's Destiny and the remastering of that show has only been hinted at, and not announced... I'll just mope a little longer.

*mopes*
Sume Gai

Raiden wrote:what do ya know, best guess is Justice. Wouldn't mind a Freedom 2.0 either.
Is the freedom really old/problematic enough to justify a 2.0 kit? *Shrug* if it is something specifically from the series Justice seems most likely to me, of course if it is just a SEED model in general it could easily be an Astray as well.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
AceWhatever

Strike and Freedom came out before the RX-78 OYW version which introduced fancy new tech like separable non-index fingers, pivoting wrist joints and more articulated hip joints which were incorporated into all subsequent new molds and the Zeta 2.0 line. So depending on your preferences those two are "borderline" old. Though they both just got the RG treatment so who knows...
Heecarl_Reez

http://blog.yahoo.com/cybergundam/articles/177054/index

It's MG Duel AS (someone will be very happy with this).The complete list is:

-MG Gundam Age-1 Normal -February
-MG Duel Gundam AS -February (two new MG in same month? Hmmm)
-MG Gundam Age-1 Titus -March
-MG Gundam Age-1 Spallow - April
-MG Gafran (SURPRISE!!!) - May
-RG Skygrasper with Launcher/Sword Striker - February- 2500 yen

And if you care about SD Gundam, seems they lauch a new line with Legend BB name...