Perfect Grades

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
AdamusKane

Perfect Grades

so i have been looking at getting into gunpla for a long time now and wanted to start out with some bigger stuff.

no worries about my modeling skills i have been modeling for years ever since i was a kid. (also just completed a 1/160 Battleship Yamato and a 1/48 ME 262 as well as being a long time Warhammer 40k player.)

i am looking for something in the 1/60 scale range. i have all ready found a 1/60 exia that i am looking at however i wanted to know what people thought was the best PG model.

i also found the wing PG model on ebay for around $70 and thought it was a good buy?
thoughts on that model???

i have about $200 to start this project but am not completely averse to waiting a bit to get a more expensive model.

what do you guys think is the best PG model??

thanks much in advance

-Kane
iKhaotic

Re: Perfect Grades

From what I remember, the PG Strike and the PG Red Frame are the two best PGs out there. They're sturdy, have a good inner frame, the most articulate, and simple. Try to find those two. Aside from that, are you into Gundam? If so, is there a particular suit that you want a PG of?
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
AdamusKane

i am into gundam and working my way through the series now.

anyone know how the 00 raiser is???

and a few corrections

the wing was a TT (what ever that means) not bandai so that is prolly out.
secondly i am looking for something 1/60 not necessarily PG (i ask about PG because they are of Superior quality)

also i would like it is to be as tall as possible because it will be a stand in for a table top model. (also would want to be somewhat sturdy and durable to perform this function.)

thanks again

-Kane
blind_dead_mcjones

the 00 raiser judging from what i've heard is...ok, but it does have issues, namely that the weight of the 0-raiser pack pulls the entire torso back and also makes any dynamic poses without the stand impossible, there have also been complaints that the spring loaded locking joints don't work as well as they should

TT hongli is a knockoff brand, so yes you were wise to steer clear of it

all the 1/60 scale suits are about 28-30cm high but the PG's are generally more sturdy than the standard 1/60's due to having the internal frame

in short, what iKahotic said. the strike, strike rouge and astray red frame are pretty much the best of the PG line
Flag Fighter for life!
iKhaotic

Not to mention the PG Strike and Red Frames are both a little less pricey than the PG 00 Raiser :)

Based on reviews and bits of info however, both the PG 00 Raiser and the PG Strike Freedom aren't worth the price though, so stay away from those two.
Dark Duel

iKhaotic wrote:the PG 00 Raiser and the PG Strike Freedom aren't worth the price though, so stay away from those two.
I concur based on what I've seen of them.
Plus I hold the opinion that the PG Strike Freedom is by far the ugliest version of that MS to have been released, and think the MG, while it has fewer gimmicks, is infinitely better-looking.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
iKhaotic

Dark Duel wrote: I concur based on what I've seen of them.
Plus I hold the opinion that the PG Strike Freedom is by far the ugliest version of that MS to have been released, and think the MG, while it has fewer gimmicks, is infinitely better-looking.
Agreed. I think that when they created the PG Strike Freedom, they tried to put too much emphasis on the DRAGOONs and the gold joints. They are very detailed, yes; but it's too over the top and it ended up looking tacky and ugly. Of course, this is just my opinion.

The only Strike Freedom Gunpla I'd get is the Full Burst Mode, which I do plan on getting one of these days. For less than 1/3 of the price of the PG, you get just as much detail, DRAGOON effect parts (which I think is awesome), and the backpack unit doesn't have that defect in it that the PG version does where it has a chance of breaking if you don't build it correctly...
AdamusKane

hmm. interesting.

the strike and rouge seem the best models for PG but which one to get??

i have never seen either. i do know that the rouge comes with the aile striker pack and the regular strike does not.

i would go with the rouge but is it more on the red end of the color spectrum or the pink side (as the anime portrayed it?? side note does anyone know why red looks pinkish in gundam series?? IE strike rouge or Trans-Am system in 00??)

if it is too pink how much more does a aile cost for a regular strike.

thanks so much for all the help and advice

-Kane
iKhaotic

I never understood why they didn't include the Aile Striker pack with the PG Strike, but even without that, it's still a fine kit.

I completely forgot about the Strike Rouge having a PG release too, if you don't mind the pink coloring, go for that one instead as it does come with the Aile Striker pack and a Skygrasper.

To be honest though, if I had to pick, I'd get the Red Frame. It's more detailed and IMO, looks a lot nicer than the Strike. The katana is a very nice addition to it and opens up possibilities for some epic poses.
AdamusKane

after some research i now see why you like red frame best. thanks much mate.

this shall be my gundam of choice.

p.s. is there an action base for it?? and the version i found on HLJ says without extra parts, what am i missing??
iKhaotic

http://www.dalong.net/

^Use that site for all your Gunpla info and pics :) Just click on "PG" on the top bar, then "English Menu" on the sidebar, and find Red Frame.

As for action base, I don't recall the Red Frame coming with one. You can buy a display base afterwards if you want though. The extra parts you're referring to for Red Frame is just a set of clear armor parts which lets you see the internals of the kit. It's not required at all and is just extra if you're into the transparent parts, it's very tacky and ugly IMO. You can also find it right below the Red Frame link on the site I posted.
AdamusKane

thanks so much for your help.

one last question

i have seen pictures of red frame with two blades but the kits i have found only have one. (the HLJ profile says one blade and the site you liked me to shows only one)

so then what is this??

http://hobby-midori-apron.com/img-ap/hb ... n-0905.JPG

thanks so much again
Majin Tenshi

I just looked at this on HLJ the other day... The 2 blade version was a limited release when the kit was first launched.
iKhaotic

Hmm, I never knew there was a limited 2 bladed version released...

I stand corrected.
AdamusKane

well then thanks all
looks like a great model and one that i will definitely be getting.

-Kane
Turn-x

what about PG zeta and PG mk 2 gundam???
are those any good, feel free to list pros and cons??