1/100 Gundam Astray Red Frame

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Duo

1/100 Gundam Astray Red Frame

Does anyone have this kit?

If so, Is it worth buying even if it isn't a MG?

I really love the Gerbera Straight sword and I'd rather have the 1/100th rather then the 1/144th.
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
DeltasTaii

I strongly believe it remains the best non-MG, non-Metal Material 1/100 Gundam kit in existence, from what I've seen of the Destiny line (I dunno, maybe Gold Frame Amatu has a shot at it, being mostly the same).

In fact, it's better than most MGs, especially if you don't need an internal skeleton (and given Red Frame's design, there isn't much of one left to have anyways). The posability is flatly awesome other than the ankle joints (restrict lateral angle a touch, though not much, just in comparison to the rest of the kit), and the only places where colour seperation is missing are the bottom part of the cockpit hatch (stickered), the red marks on top of the chest, the Gerbera's handle and sheath (all white, sadly, though there's a long red sticker for the sheath I haven't used), and I think a tiny spot on the back of the head.

But look around for posing shots, some are pretty incredible. It's Gundam ver.OYW flexible and balanced (aside from the Gerbera), meaning only perhaps Gundam Mk.II ver.2.0 might be able to do better. Stuff like MG F91 may have more articulation, but heavy back appendages are a problem.
SNT1

1/100 Astray vs. MG Strike Gundam on dalong.net. Shows how poseable the thing is, compared to a modern MG.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kurosawa

gotta agree with everyone here, the Astray red is simply friggin incredible. far more possibilities for action poses as compared to the Blue and Gold frames, that and the sexy gerbera strait it has. my only complaint is the color separation on the sword and sheath.
Rice...its a way of life
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Here's Dash Tekkaman's review of the Red Astray:

http://mahq.net/models/gundam/seed-msv/ ... bf-p02.htm
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
speedstriker

I have a models of it. Completed, but not that perfect. The kit itself is superb, but my painting skills aren't. So bear with me as you take a look at the kit I made, posted on my blog.
http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbum.jsp?Phot ... 4252896527
Enjoy!
kayone73

Re: 1/100 Gundam Astray Red Frame

This thread answered most of my questions concerning the NG 1/100 Red Frame, but can you guys list the other differences between this and the MG RF kai?

I know NG 1/100 has no internal frame

I assume:

1) fewer points of articulation in the NG 1/100
2) only the gebera straight, not the other sword
3) obviously no Tactical arms weapon pack
4) fewer surface details on the NG?

Any other major differences (not including price/weight, those are obvious)
iKhaotic

Maybe it's just me, but the Tactical Arms unit alone justifies the extra $20-$30 I'd spend to get the MG version instead lol. That thing is just too awesome to not have. Same goes for the Blue Frame, it's Tactical Arms unit is very nice.

Gold Frame Amatu on the other hand, is already complete as a NG release, so no problems there :)
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Dark Duel

I do not have the HG Red Frame, however I do have Astray Mirage Frame (which is really just a recolored Red Frame with a couple of runners' worth of extra parts), and the HG Astray is easily the most flexible of the few CE 1/100 scale, and sturdy as heck.

I also have the MG Red Frame(which I modded slightly), and while again it's extraordinarily flexible, it's surprisingly not quite as sturdy and has a few parts on the torso, upper arm, and leg that are prone to falling off*. IMO the added detail makes it worth the expense, though I really wish the original Astray backpack had been included as an alternative to the TA backpack, which I don't much like.

(*oddly, with one exception(the arm) the same parts on my Blue Frame do not fall off as easily)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
kayone73

Oh does the MG Astray or other CE kits make use of polycaps or is that just a defining feature of HG joints?