Upcoming Models, Merch, & Rumors X

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
SNT1

Re: Upcoming Models, Merch, & Rumors X

I'm pleased at their comments about focusing on the MG line. While Sandrock and H-Arms are more than likely, I wish they release all Gundams including the Nataku (Altron ver EW), and Tallgeese and Serpents (or Leo, for that matter)

I, for one, welcome our new Wing MG overlords.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
kayone73

RLZIII wrote:
I'm still holding out for some early kits to get the 2.0 treatment, mainly from the OYW OVAs: The Gundam [G] and Gundam Ez8, the Alex, and the GP line from Gundam 0083.
lol @ sarcastic suggestion for yet another RX-78 (if thats what you mean by The Gundam [G])

Why do the EZ8, and 0083 GP lines need a version 2.0? We'rent they later releases and have reasonably up to date technology? The kits that really need priority ver 2.0 treatment are MG kits that have basic runner designs based on really old kits from the late 80s, early 90s, which covers the more primitive Zeta, ZZ era UC kits, I thought all the GP series like the 01-03 were pretty well articulated and have decent inner frame skeletons, am I wrong?
Dark Duel

I'm actually pretty glad to see that Bandai's apparently really dedicated to giving us the best possible kit for an MG V2, so whenever they end up releasing that I'll be looking forward to it.
kayone73 wrote:lol @ sarcastic suggestion for yet another RX-78 (if thats what you mean by The Gundam [G])
Strictly speaking, the Gundam [G] isn't an "RX-78" per se, it's RX-79[G]. I know that's really nitpicking, but in my book the Gundam Ground Type is sufficiently different from the original that it doesn't really count as a RX-78 variant in that sense.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SNT1

kayone73 wrote:
RLZIII wrote:
I'm still holding out for some early kits to get the 2.0 treatment, mainly from the OYW OVAs: The Gundam [G] and Gundam Ez8, the Alex, and the GP line from Gundam 0083.
lol @ sarcastic suggestion for yet another RX-78 (if thats what you mean by The Gundam [G])

Why do the EZ8, and 0083 GP lines need a version 2.0? We'rent they later releases and have reasonably up to date technology? The kits that really need priority ver 2.0 treatment are MG kits that have basic runner designs based on really old kits from the late 80s, early 90s, which covers the more primitive Zeta, ZZ era UC kits, I thought all the GP series like the 01-03 were pretty well articulated and have decent inner frame skeletons, am I wrong?
MG GP01: 1997
MG NT1: 1999
MG Gundam [G]: 1999 (or early 2000)

Yeah, these kits are -super- old and desperately needs to be remade. Their construction still uses a good amount of weak polycaps employed in HG 1/100 kits and dated screw joints. They still look good, IMO, in a static, standing pose but they do not possess the articulation that the newest MGs have.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
blind_dead_mcjones

on the subject of 2.0 MG's an S Gundam 2.0 would also be nice

as would the barzam refined type using the Gundam MkII 2.0's frame
kayone73 wrote:The MG 00 Raiser already has all the parts that include the movie version of the 00 with the particle tanks and alternate colors on the 0 Raiser, I saw that in an unboxing video
the 00 raiser doesn't count, it may have the option of fitting the condensor tanks (incidentally so does the exia with that red thingy that could be put in place of the drive) but the drives are still in the kit

nevertheless i will be more specific, a non GN master grade suit from the 00'verse
Raiden wrote:Don't forget Dynames Repair
ahh, i thought i missed something
Flag Fighter for life!
SNT1

blind_dead_mcjones wrote:on the subject of 2.0 MG's an S Gundam 2.0 would also be nice
Would make little sense, IMO. S-Gundam looks good and at it's best just 'standing' there, thus will not benefit from the advanced MG frames we have nowadays and will just bloat that already bloaty 6000-yen price tag
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
kayone73

Dark Duel wrote: Strictly speaking, the Gundam [G] isn't an "RX-78" per se, it's RX-79[G]. I know that's really nitpicking, but in my book the Gundam Ground Type is sufficiently different from the original that it doesn't really count as a RX-78 variant in that sense.
Sorry, I recognize 'Ground Type' but never saw it abbrev. as [G] before.

SNT1: I think an updated MG S gundam is ok, since it's pretty lean, I think you're thinking of an Ex-S 2.0 which I agree, doesn't make much sense since they're too much bulk.

And I didn't realize those original GP01/2 kits were that old, I think I was thrown off by the decent articulation in the GP03 and thought the earlier two were comparable. I'd still like to see 2.0 refreshes of the kits from the 80s first before the 90s productions.
RLZIII

kayone73 wrote:
Dark Duel wrote: Strictly speaking, the Gundam [G] isn't an "RX-78" per se, it's RX-79[G]. I know that's really nitpicking, but in my book the Gundam Ground Type is sufficiently different from the original that it doesn't really count as a RX-78 variant in that sense.
Sorry, I recognize 'Ground Type' but never saw it abbrev. as [G] before.

SNT1: I think an updated MG S gundam is ok, since it's pretty lean, I think you're thinking of an Ex-S 2.0 which I agree, doesn't make much sense since they're too much bulk.

And I didn't realize those original GP01/2 kits were that old, I think I was thrown off by the decent articulation in the GP03 and thought the earlier two were comparable. I'd still like to see 2.0 refreshes of the kits from the 80s first before the 90s productions.
The Master Grade line didn't start until July 1995 with the first MG RX-78-2 Gundam. Dalong has a good list of the whole MG line in the order that they were produced. The Gundam GP01, Gundam GP01FB, and Gundam GP02 were the 10th, 12th, and 13th models in the MG line (produced between August 1997 through June 1998); the Gundam GP03 was quite a bit later in April 2001.

To my knowledge, the MG Strike Gundam was the first MG model to use a near-complete inner frame. This makes a huge difference with the quality, stability, and weight distribution of the model. In my experience most MG models produced before the MG Strike Gundam (October 2003) are hit-or-miss. Some are good enough where a 2.0 model doesn't need to be explored quite yet. While some simply aren't popular enough to just a re-release anytime soon. The more popular models and mobile suits, such as the ones I already listed, ZZ Gundam, Sazabi, Nu Gundam, Kampfer, Gouf Custom, et cetera will likely be remade and released as 2.0 models at some point in the next few years. Even some of the early inner frame models aren't all that great and might see a 2.0 release at some point down the line.
SNT1

I just don't think they have a chance to 2.0, since it's already a niche mecha to begin with, plus the original is already 6000 yen, upgrading it will make it cost higher = only few will buy it.

Maybe I'm just biased because I have a MISB MG Ex-S right next to the computer I'm using? :D

The GP03 is a bit newer than the others in the series, so it has some more modern features than its brethren.

To my knowledge, the MG Strike Gundam was the first MG model to use a near-complete inner frame. This makes a huge difference with the quality, stability, and weight distribution of the model.
G-Gundam MGs were the first to have a true complete skeleton (action frame). Even 10 years later, the G-Gundam MGs can do some astonishing poses, and it has those rubber soles, helping it stay planted to the flat surface doing a one-legged kick or any of those crazy Undefeated of the East poses :)
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
RLZIII

SNT1 wrote:G-Gundam MGs were the first to have a true complete skeleton (action frame). Even 10 years later, the G-Gundam MGs can do some astonishing poses, and it has those rubber soles, helping it stay planted to the flat surface doing a one-legged kick or any of those crazy Undefeated of the East :)
I forgot about the frames inside the G Gundam MGs; I wasn't thinking about them because the frame with them is very different from the modern MG inner frames. The G Gundam MG line has more of an action figure inner frame whereas the Strike Gundam and most post-Strike Gundam MGs have a more "mechanical" inner frame. I haven't owned any of the G Gundam MG models so I don't know how the frames work personally. But, you are right: the God Gundam was the first with an inner frame.

The first MG that I built was the Gundam F91, which obviously had an inner frame. After I started collecting more MGs and purchased a few older models that didn't have a frame, I quickly noticed the difference in quality. I have owned very few MGs without the inner frame because I simply don't care for them. Even though the Gundam NT1 "Alex" is one of my favorite Gundam designs, I have never purchased the MG; I'd rather hold out for a 2.0.
SNT1

RLZIII wrote:
SNT1 wrote:G-Gundam MGs were the first to have a true complete skeleton (action frame). Even 10 years later, the G-Gundam MGs can do some astonishing poses, and it has those rubber soles, helping it stay planted to the flat surface doing a one-legged kick or any of those crazy Undefeated of the East :)
I forgot about the frames inside the G Gundam MGs; I wasn't thinking about them because the frame with them is very different from the modern MG inner frames. The G Gundam MG line has more of an action figure inner frame whereas the Strike Gundam and most post-Strike Gundam MGs have a more "mechanical" inner frame. I haven't owned any of the G Gundam MG models so I don't know how the frames work personally. But, you are right: the God Gundam was the first with an inner frame.

The first MG that I built was the Gundam F91, which obviously had an inner frame. After I started collecting more MGs and purchased a few older models that didn't have a frame, I quickly noticed the difference in quality. I have owned very few MGs without the inner frame because I simply don't care for them. Even though the Gundam NT1 "Alex" is one of my favorite Gundam designs, I have never purchased the MG; I'd rather hold out for a 2.0.
Yeah the MG NT1 would have been a culture shock to you, some of the more experienced modelers even shy away from that because of it's unforgiving seam lines. Shame because that's also one of my favorite mecha (and my namesake)

The G-Gundam MGs had some detail and piston/linkage action so it wasn't just a pure frame. They were conservative though since that was Bandai's first "small" mecha in the MG line.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Mark064

At the moment I don't think we'll be seeing more 2.0 kits, aside from possibly the Hyaku Shiki and that's only cause of the Delta Plus.

2.0 started in December 2005 and ended in December 2009, however it's worth noting the last original non recolor was in May of 2009. The important thing to note is that 2.0 focused purely on First Gundam, MSV and Zeta Gundam. Zeta Gundam was undoubtedly largely due to the Zeta Gundam movies being released at the time. First Gundam and MSV have it's own popularity backing it.

The problem with 2.0s is you have to consider the varying factors behind it. And that factor is not only how poor the original is. When a 2.0 is created there is the competition factor of competing against the 1.0. So the 2800 yen Gundam Mark II 1.0 competes against the 4000 yen Gundam Mark II 2.0. When someone walks into the store are they going to want to spend more money on a 2.0 or go for the cheaper 1.0, especially in these economic times. It's going to vary obviously but not 100% of people are going to go for the 2.0 and since the original is still produced to this day that competition still exists. Of course this is just factoring MG kits... with many of the designs you can buy a varying amount of kits from HGUC, HG, and the original kit lines and then there are things like RD and MSiA further increasing competition.

Another factor is can you get the people who bought the 1.0 to buy the kit again? That's going to be a hard sell for anything not A level. The Gundam has a million kits because people love it and buy the million kits so it's an easy 2.0 sell. But once you step back from First Gundam and even MSV it gets more murky. This is why the Zeta movies coming out helped with the Zeta 2.0 kits, Zeta is popular but with the then current promotions it helps so much more and everyone should know how much Bandai loves promoting current works. But going back to other kits. How many people that own the Gundam Alex are going to honestly buy a version 2.0 after owning the original? It's going to be a very small number.

With most designs in MG it's just too tough of a sell to 2.0 everything that is poor when you got the competing originals, the economy and trying to resell the kits to a large amount of people.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Heecarl_Reez

EDIT 1: wrong thread :(

now back to what I supposed to write.
dat interview
- It's good thing that Bandai is taking the time to make the perfect V2, don't want the V1 redux case again.
- It's understandable that they now release less of MG though with RG, and perhaps MG Figure Rise(Which seems finally taking off with it's Kamen Rider lineup) are now taking share of development.
- Poor X line, gotta wait a bit longer for DX it seems.
- PG Unicorn would be godly expensive, and they are teasing Hyaku Shiki ver 2.0?? Oh God make it Happen Bandai!!!
- MG Ksathriya?? Well,it would be more expensive than The O I think.

Also, the interviewer mentioned that he forgot to ask about the 00 line(damn), it's going to be difficult at this rate to see the HG 00 lineup again with Gundam Age is gonna taking the slot. I think next time we will see something from 00 would be in MG, although perhaps it will be limited to Gundams(0 or Reborns is the likely candidate I think) and variants, like Exia R2, or GN X-IV(hoping).
Dark Duel

MG Kshatriya, given what was said about what they would need to do with the internal frame in order for it to support its own weight, would probably be more expensive than many Perfect Grades.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SNT1

I imagine normal ABS plastic joints will just sag quickly when one of them binders probably has as much plastic as an MG F91. You'll need 5 action bases ---- one for the mech aand the other four for the binders. All yours for a cool 20000+ yen. Won't fly when most people over there would rather spend their 20000+ yen on a shiny new Vita :twisted:
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Zanna

Well, supporting the suit itself wouldn't be that big of a problem - the actual main body of the Kshatriya is comparable with the Sinanju, just a tad bigger. However, it's the binders that are the problem. They'll stay up just fine even without special stands - there are already 1/100 and 1/72 scale Kshatriya Resin kits; without extra stands or a highly specialized locking mechanism, though, the binders wouldn't be posable.

The other problem is: how would you even improve over the HGUC version if you wanted to stay accurate to the novel/OVA design? The HGUC is almost 100% accurate to both designs, and in plastic model form it's actually fairly plain. Part of it has to do with the differences in animation/art vs. IRL - the use of shading and various effects gives the mobile suit a much more engaging and interesting look overall in the OVA and in drawn/CG pics. IRL, you're going to end up with a LOT of blank, flat, empty plastic. You can give the kit a complete, detailed, almost PG-level inner frame like with the Sinanju but you'll end up with the same kind of problem that MG The-O had - that kind of detail doesn't show up on the outside.

The other part of it has to do with "Zeonic" suit design - generally there are much fewer panel lines and such to fill in and more curves. Works fine for, I.E., the Sinanju because it has a lot of fancy trim and "sportscar" shapes - but I dunno how much it could do for the Kshatriya even with a reeves of Katoki's decals.
kayone73

Zanna wrote:Well, supporting the suit itself wouldn't be that big of a problem - the actual main body of the Kshatriya is comparable with the Sinanju, just a tad bigger. However, it's the binders that are the problem. They'll stay up just fine even without special stands - there are already 1/100 and 1/72 scale Kshatriya Resin kits; without extra stands or a highly specialized locking mechanism, though, the binders wouldn't be posable.
Yeah it's moot discussing the logistics of size for this kit separating considerations of the binders from the main body. I love the not-well-thought-out arguement some people make where they go

'I don't see why lazy bandai can't release a 1/100 Kyshatria kit, the body is no bigger than most MG kits' as if people are going to build and display this kit without the binders :huh: Binders are part of the mech and the most defining feature, so they're ALWAYS going to be part of the size and production consideration no matter how much someone wants to split hairs.

I just bought a 1/144 HGUC kit myself and looking forward to building it when I get the chance.
SNT1

In light of the new show being announced, looks like whatever mecha we want on 00 that hasn't been released in HG form may take a back seat... and I can't judge AGE's mecha lineup, but the first mecha (3 variants) look like a stale and tired Okawara afterthought.

At the very least, Wing MG releases should keep us busy 8)
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Derringer

Guys, the MG Nu Gundam was the first to have a real complete inner skeleton and that came out in 2000. The MG Sazabi is close though.
DeltasTaii

Yeah, it's a pretty obviously wrong statement when I have 4 MGs older than Strike and only 1 or 2 don't have full skeletons. I'd actually argue MG Gouf sort of does, the forearms just happen to be molded in blue. Ground Type seems like it should be able to stand without any armour but the black around the stomach, head, and feet too.

The slightly earlier kits like Alex, Dom, and Gundam 1.5 have no arm skeletons, which is where you run into a major difference, and the stuff before that is the really old beginning of the line engineering stuff where the most that will strip down is the legs.