Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Discussion » Modeling and Merchandise

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:42 am 
HiMAT Spammer

So, I have an EX 1/1700 Archangel that I'm... not quite sure what to do with.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10039386

The entire model is molded in flat white (did not quite expect that when I opened the box, but at 2K Yen, it was a steal).

I originally planned to do classic Archangel colors using spray for red and black and then going to town with Gundam markers for every other color and detailing.

Important Note: this is basically the first serious model I'm painting. I'm semi-worried I'll mess up, but... in the worst case, I could just use gray primer on the entire frame to start over... right?

That got me to thinking... what if I made it an entire dark metallic gunmetal color, similar to the limited edition which was coated in chrome silver. I'd spray paint the base black, I guess.

So... your thoughts? Do you think I should go for the classic Archangel paint job or for a metallic display look? I'm on the fence right now, and don't have spray cans for either color project.

--

Edit: Silly me. I realized that if I mess up with the former, I can do the latter as a backup plan. Crisis of faith averted!

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:11 pm 
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

If I were you I'll probably go for the classic... Dominion paint job. IMHO, I think the Dominion looks far better than the Archangel. I also prefer the antenna of the Dominion over the Archangel's. That's just my two cents.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:58 pm 
HiMAT Spammer

I tried to like Dominion's Paint job. It just... doesn't seem right to me in terms of color balance, being so dark and all. What would I pick for the dark parts?

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/seed/dominion.jpg

I really never figured out whether it was dark blue or a flat gray.

Anyways, at some point I need to find a better gray for the catapult doors. The light gray marker I have is totally darker than advertised, almost Strike Gundam Dark Gray...

Matte Testors Red I got looks pretty sharp, so I've got that covered.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:49 pm 
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

The link you provided in your first post included a gallery of the item, whose first image shows the kit painted in Dominion colors. I assumed the kit would at least provide the colors you would require to paint it that way, since it includes the antenna for the Dominion.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:49 am 
HiMAT Spammer

Well, it... sorta does... Unfortunately, there is no "diagram" for what should be painted what. Everything you see on the box cover is all I get for painting instructions, and I do believe there is, in Japanese, mixing instructions.

Unfortunately, no airbrush set, so mixing isn't really practical :(

Board index » Discussion » Modeling and Merchandise