Gundam 0083 questions

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
NastyNate

Gundam 0083 questions

I just watched stardust memory for the third time and there are still some questions that I have.

1 Why does cima go through all that trouble to get the colony but then later she works with the federation to destroy it?

2 Why was the federation so against kou from getting the unit 3 and stopping the colony and why was that good admirral drug away by the soldiers?

3. Do we have any clue that nina and kou get back together? Because it seemed like she wanted to be with gato and not kou. And I don't know if kou would still go for her but I have never seen the movie.

4. Why does the anehiem electronics guys commit suicide? Isn't he in zeta gundam?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Kavik Ryx

My friend, those are the various plotholes that make 0083 an aggravating watch.

The first questioned is answered in a radio drama called the Mayfly of Space, where Cima recounts the horrors of her team taking part in Operation British, or at least I think.

The issues with Admiral Kowen are part of a poorly explained conspiracy to give the Titans power.

As for Nina and Kou, listen to episode 4 of Gundamn for speculation on that.
mcred23

NastyNate wrote:1 Why does cima go through all that trouble to get the colony but then later she works with the federation to destroy it?
Revenge for how the other Zeon forces treated her and the Marines is what I would guess was a big reason behind her betrayal. As for exactly why she waited as long as she did to betray Delaz, I'm not sure...
NastyNate wrote:2 Why was the federation so against kou from getting the unit 3 and stopping the colony and why was that good admirral drug away by the soldiers?
Because Kou stole the GP03 after the Federation had shut down it's development, he didn't have orders to take it. He got off fairly easy, Captain Synapse was executed, partly for his roll in stealing the GP03...

As for why the 'good' Admiral, Admiral John Kowen, was taken away, I think it was because he was arguing with Admiral Corini and Jamitov Hymem about how to stop the colony. IIRC, Kowen wanted to have the EFF's Orbital Fleets attack the colony, while the others wanted to only use the Solar System II, although I'm not exactly sure...
NastyNate wrote:3. Do we have any clue that nina and kou get back together? Because it seemed like she wanted to be with gato and not kou. And I don't know if kou would still go for her but I have never seen the movie.
Well, they do meet again when they (And a few others, such as Mora and Keith) all end up assigned to the Oakley base. Whether or not they did get back together is never shown (Or confirmed AFAIK), but Nina did seem very happy to see Kou again at that point...
NastyNate wrote:4. Why does the anehiem electronics guys commit suicide? Isn't he in zeta gundam?
The guy, Director O'Sullivan, was probably worried that his involvement with everything (Such as the Gerbera Tetra and who knows what) might be discovered by the Titans (Whose formation was announced the same day as O'Sullivan put a bullet through his head, which suggests something to me) or something like that. And no, that character isn't seen in Zeta Gundam.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
NastyNate

(quote="mcred23) Because Kou stole the GP03 after the Federation had shut down it's development, he didn't have orders to take it. He got off fairly easy, Captain Synapse was executed, partly for his roll in stealing the GP03... (quote)

I don't remember the captain being executed when did that happen?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Phantomexe87

I too have heard numerous times that Synapse was to be executed, though given that all the sentences were dropped shortly after, I was never sure if he was actually executed or got off.

If that is the case, it seems odd that his former direct subordinates would join the Titans, or even be allowed to join the Titans.
Last edited by Phantomexe87 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowCell

After the OVA. I believe it was mentioned in the liner notes somewhere that Synapse was executed for mutiny.
mcred23

Phantomexe87 wrote:I too have heard numerous times that Synapse was to be executed, though given that all the sentences were dropped shortly after, I was never sure if he was actually executed or got off.
Everything I've ever heard on the subject say Synapse was executed before the cover up that got Kou out of prison. The Feds really seemed to have pushed everything along pretty quickly, Mark's timeline has the courts-martials taking place just ten days after the colony hit Earth, so it wouldn't suprise me if ol' Eiphar met the firing squad (Or the hangman or whoever kills convicts in the EFF) not long after that...

ParaParaJMo

Well technically, it's acknowledged that Kou couldn't be sentenced to hard labor and Synapse couldn't be executed because the Feddies covered up and denied that the Gundam Project never happened and wiped it off the face of the earth. If it never happened to begin with, then they really have no evidence to bust them nor their sentences mean anything to begin with.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
mcred23

ParaParaJMo wrote:Well technically, it's acknowledged that Kou couldn't be sentenced to hard labor and Synapse couldn't be executed because the Feddies covered up and denied that the Gundam Project never happened and wiped it off the face of the earth. If it never happened to begin with, then they really have no evidence to bust them nor their sentences mean anything to begin with.
No, they were sentenced to their various punishments (Kou to hard labor in prison and Synapse to death) before the cover up took place, when their charges were still valid. The cover up, which occured just under four months after Kou and Synapse were sentenced, then nullified their crimes, but Kou was already in prison serving his time and Synapse had already been executed (Because, like I said before, everything points to him getting killed before the cover up would have gotten him off the hook).

Vate

mcred23 wrote:
NastyNate wrote:1 Why does cima go through all that trouble to get the colony but then later she works with the federation to destroy it?
Revenge for how the other Zeon forces treated her and the Marines is what I would guess was a big reason behind her betrayal. As for exactly why she waited as long as she did to betray Delaz, I'm not sure...
NastyNate wrote:2 Why was the federation so against kou from getting the unit 3 and stopping the colony and why was that good admirral drug away by the soldiers?
Because Kou stole the GP03 after the Federation had shut down it's development, he didn't have orders to take it. He got off fairly easy, Captain Synapse was executed, partly for his roll in stealing the GP03...

As for why the 'good' Admiral, Admiral John Kowen, was taken away, I think it was because he was arguing with Admiral Corini and Jamitov Hymem about how to stop the colony. IIRC, Kowen wanted to have the EFF's Orbital Fleets attack the colony, while the others wanted to only use the Solar System II, although I'm not exactly sure...
1She took a while because she was carefully planning everything, but the Albion's interference gave her the biggest setbacks...until it was too late. So since it was better late than never, Cima shows her true (good) colors, only to be shot by Kou in point blank. Yeah, I remember a tear dropped at that point...

2 Well, not only that, but also for interfering with Cima trying to STOP the colony drop too, right?
Last edited by Vate on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcred23

Vate wrote:2 Well, not only that, but also for interfering with Cima trying to STOP the colony drop too, right?
I think it was more of Kou's general conduct in the battle, fighting with some of the by-that-point friendly Marines (Notably, sinking the Lili Marleen) and (IIRC) ignoring return orders, firing at Bask Om's ship and things like that, rather than interferring with attempts to stop the colony (Kou had nothing to do with the attempt to stop the colony with the Solar System II, he was en route to the Lili Marleen while all of that went on).

Vate

mcred23 wrote:I think it was more of Kou's general conduct in the battle, fighting with some of the by-that-point friendly Marines (Notably, sinking the Lili Marleen) and (IIRC) ignoring return orders, firing at Bask Om's ship and things like that, rather than interferring with attempts to stop the colony (Kou had nothing to do with the attempt to stop the colony with the Solar System II, he was en route to the Lili Marleen while all of that went on).
True, but what about him fighting Cima in the first place?
HalfDemonInuyasha

Re: Gundam 0083 questions

NastyNate wrote: 1 Why does cima go through all that trouble to get the colony but then later she works with the federation to destroy it?
As mentioned, this stems back all the way to her bloody past with Zeon when she and her Marines were ordered to gas a colony (the one dropped on Earth or a different one, I'm not sure) WITHOUT knowledge of there still being people inside. She basically freaks out when she saw it and it got even worse when her own commander pretty much abandoned her and the Marines, and placing all of the blame on them, making them military scapegoats for Zeon, which is why they were usually sneered upon by the likes of Gato; a loyal and honorable Zeon soldier.

And as for pretty much following Delaz until that point, well, she was a spy. For how long, it's not exactly certain, but she couldn't go along doing her own thing ALL the time out in the open, especially during the final phases of such a huge operation. Being a double agent for the Federation by that time, she'd obviously hear of their plan to destroy the colony when hijacked (because of her giving the Federation the layout of Operation Stardust), so there really wasn't a need NOT to hijack it. Of course, the interference from the Albion and the GP03 as well as the unexpected actions of Delaz and Gato threw the whole thing off. Cima expected Delaz and Gato to surrender once she took over the Gwaden, but Delaz being killed and then Gato going off to stop the Federation was definitely not part of the plan.

NastyNate wrote: 2 Why was the federation so against kou from getting the unit 3 and stopping the colony and why was that good admirral drug away by the soldiers?
At that point, the Gundam Development Project had been shut down by the Federation because of the discovery of, and the actions of the GP02A at the Naval Review, thus blowing their cover of secretly building a nuclear-equipped MS, which was still illegal at the time. So the Federation probably wanted to nullify as much backlash from such actions as possible. It is also, possibly, part of the whole Titans conspiracy of gaining power. Show it off by destroying the colony by themselves and get the people to support them.

NastyNate wrote: 3. Do we have any clue that nina and kou get back together? Because it seemed like she wanted to be with gato and not kou. And I don't know if kou would still go for her but I have never seen the movie.
Chances are they probably did if the ending has anything to show for it.

NastyNate wrote: 4. Why does the anehiem electronics guys commit suicide? Isn't he in zeta gundam?
No, the guy in Zeta is a different one. Chances are it was, as mentioned, because of being discovered for supporting the Delaz fleet the way he did by giving the Gerbera Tetra to them (which came from the original GP04G Gerbera) AND using their laser to ignite the colony propellent tanks which is what allowed the colony to get around them and head towards the Earth. He probably would've been executed by the Titans either way.

...in the end, also as mentioned, there's various speculation on what was going on behind the scenes of everything since 0083's only real purpose was to "link" Mobile Suit Gundam to Zeta Gundam.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
mcred23

Vate wrote:True, but what about him fighting Cima in the first place?
That was part of the fighting with the then-friendly Marines I mentioned...

Windknight

Having only read the Viz Animation comics that came out years ago, I have to ask why did Kou go after Cima and the Lily Marlene? Was he too obsessed with avenging Burning?
Take flight, and strike from the heavens
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Windknight wrote:Having only read the Viz Animation comics that came out years ago, I have to ask why did Kou go after Cima and the Lily Marlene? Was he too obsessed with avenging Burning?
Yeah I think he just wanted to avenge South Burning but can you blame him for killing Cima and destroying her ship, Burning was like a mentor to him.
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
RedBlitz

And when he impaled her with the cannon and fired at point blank range, that was badass!! 8)
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
Vate

mcred23 wrote:
Vate wrote:True, but what about him fighting Cima in the first place?
That was part of the fighting with the then-friendly Marines I mentioned...
Oh, sorry.
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:Yeah I think he just wanted to avenge South Burning but can you blame him for killing Cima and destroying her ship, Burning was like a mentor to him.
...if only he knew that Burning was allies with her...
Imperial

Burning was just as ignorant of Cima's backdoor dealings as Kou.

If he really knew all about her, he wouldn't have fought so hard against her and she wouldn't have put the fatal round in him. Notice how Wyatt got off unscathed when he only pretended to attack Cima. She wouldn't have killed him if he wasn't a true hostile.
This space for rent
mcred23

Imperial wrote:
Burning was just as ignorant of Cima's backdoor dealings as Kou.

If he really knew all about her, he wouldn't have fought so hard against her and she wouldn't have put the fatal round in him. Notice how Wyatt got off unscathed when he only pretended to attack Cima. She wouldn't have killed him if he wasn't a true hostile.
I doubt Cima would have let him go reguardless. She was killing Federals until the moment she betrayed Delaz, from the two Salamis that were with the Albion, to an attempt at killing Kou in the GP01, to Burning and later on, at least one GM team that went to check out the colony she stole. Plus, Wyatt and the Birmingham did sink at least one Musai while they were retreating from their meeting (And they may have gotten a second, but without a doubt they got at least one Marine ship). Really, Cima and her Marines are fighting the EFF (And thus, Kou's enemy) until almost the very moment that they took over the bridge of the Gwaden.