A Boua Qu losses.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Brave Fencer Kirby

jam! wrote:I also think that Gihren was doing a good job of managing the Zeon forces. After Kycilia kills him, we start hearing reports of the different defence fields crumbling. I doubt Kycilia could've simply adapted to and completely understood Gihren's battleplan. In fact, I think she just wanted to kill him and then figure out the rest later which is exactly what she was trying to do.
That depends on who you ask. Supposedly, Gihren was using his own loyal troops effectively as backup, and sending Kycillia's forces (the Mobile Assault Force) to the frontlines to die. By using Kycilia's better trained and more experienced troops as a disposable shield for men loyal to him personally, he was weakening Kycilia's position significantly (thus making things better for him personally) but probably doing Zeon as a whole a disservice.

Ironically, after the Battle of A Baoa Qu, the EFF was completely exhausted of both men and machines, while Zeon still had forces left to fight but no one to lead them. This is reportedly why the war ended with a peace treaty rather than an unconditional surrender on the part of Zeon; the EFF didn't have the strength to invade Side 3 proper, but Zeon didn't have the organization to salvage their war effort. This decentralization is also what led to the myriad splinter groups after the One Year War; much of the Zeon military elected to retreat to Axis, but others like Cima's marines, the Delaz fleet, the Blue Army seen in ZZ, and the Zeon remnants at Kimbareid in 0083 refused to accept the surrender and there was no central power to force them to do so.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Cardi Doorl

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:...the Blue Army seen in ZZ...
I know this is a nitpick on only a minor note in your explanation, but the Blue Army we see, based on how they speak about their goals and how they regard the Neo Zeon forces, don't seem to have been Zeon remnants, but rather a discrete anti-Federation rebel group that happened to use leftover Zeon mobile suits.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
toysdream

Cardi Doorl wrote:I know this is a nitpick on only a minor note in your explanation, but the Blue Army we see, based on how they speak about their goals and how they regard the Neo Zeon forces, don't seem to have been Zeon remnants, but rather a discrete anti-Federation rebel group that happened to use leftover Zeon mobile suits.
Exactly. And what's more, the Blue Unit (or "team" or "corps") is just a single team within the African Liberation Front, with only three mobile suits to its name.

-- Mark
Brave Fencer Kirby

Huh. Well, now I know. I could have sworn that they were wearing Zeon-style pilot suits, though... maybe that's just more of them stealing Zeonic equipment. Or maybe I'm confusing them with that one woman in the Gelgoog...
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
toysdream

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:Huh. Well, now I know. I could have sworn that they were wearing Zeon-style pilot suits, though... maybe that's just more of them stealing Zeonic equipment. Or maybe I'm confusing them with that one woman in the Gelgoog...
Must be. The Blue Unit and the rest of the African Liberation Front wear civilian clothes, not Zeon pilot suits. It's also possible that their mobile suits were actually stolen from the Federation Forces rather than being Zeon hand-me-downs; after all, they all have linear seat cockpits, unlike Masai's Gelgoog.

-- Mark